• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The "Film" Look - some test footage

I've been super busy with corporate work over the last few months (Not complaining :) ), so it felt great to get an hour in the evening from like 6-7pm to film some footage with my brother and his awesome Chevrolet Impala to just test out a new plugin I bought for FCP X which is called Film Convert. It's not cheap at 199 dollars for a simple plugin, but boy does it make your footage look like it's shot on film. There has been a lot of work on their side that went into Film Convert and it really shows. This plugin adds really organic grain and the way it emulates the colour treatment of film is fantastic. Read the description for some more info :) Shot on FS100 with Samyang 35mm and 24mm F1.4.

Hope you enjoy a minute or so of a beautiful car and the beautiful dutch countryside. Oh and some Rolling Stones to just make it a little sweeter :)

https://vimeo.com/70446645

What do you think of Film Convert? Worth the price tag? Something you'd use? Lemme know!

Also, didn't record any sound on location, so everything is built with a sound library from scratch. I didn't record a reference track so it made it a little harder. I am by no means a sound guy and it's not what I am good at, but would love some feedback from the audio dudes on that element :)

Last edited:
It looks really nice! Actually, I'm more curious about the audio. What did you record on, what kind of stuff did you do in post, and was any of it pre-recorded effects? Cuz it sounds nice.

Just struck me, while watching that, that I don't see people wearing watches anymore. Weird. :)

Nifty plugin, too.

It looks really nice! Actually, I'm more curious about the audio. What did you record on, what kind of stuff did you do in post, and was any of it pre-recorded effects? Cuz it sounds nice.

The stupid H4n didn't want to recognise the SD card, so I couldn't record any audio when I shot it. I didn't put a mic on the FS100 so I did not record any sound at all. Everything you hear, except for the car sound is built from the sound library within FCP X. Most of it is just sound effects stacked (Door and trunk for example are about 4-5 sound effects stacked). When he puts his bag inside the trunk, that's the sound of a body hit, ripping cardboard boxes and putting the lid of a metal trash can on the can itself. The doors and trunks are a combination of metal hits, modern and old car door sounds. I just built it up so it sounds somewhat real!

It certainly gives a warm/sepia tone to the footage, but I'd hardly say it makes it look like it was shot on film!
Still has that FS-100 + still lens softness in some of the shots, skies are still blown out, there's some compression artifacting here and there - and where's the grain!

:P

That's not to say it doesn't look good, but it doesn't look like film ;)

I like it. For some reason a lot of FS100 footage I've seen has more of a video-ish look to it, and this definitely looks better. I like that's it's not too extreme though - it doesn't look like a stylized version of 'film', with overdone grain and colors. I'll have to check out the app.

The stupid H4n didn't want to recognise the SD card, so I couldn't record any audio when I shot it. I didn't put a mic on the FS100 so I did not record any sound at all. Everything you hear, except for the car sound is built from the sound library within FCP X. Most of it is just sound effects stacked (Door and trunk for example are about 4-5 sound effects stacked). When he puts his bag inside the trunk, that's the sound of a body hit, ripping cardboard boxes and putting the lid of a metal trash can on the can itself. The doors and trunks are a combination of metal hits, modern and old car door sounds. I just built it up so it sounds somewhat real!

Heh! Well I think it was very convincing. Cheers! :)

Back