The Director... What exactly does he do?

Yea, sure... theres Wikipedia pages out there with the dictionary meaning of the word... but I'm not interested in that.

What EXACTLY is the directors job? Surely its not just saying "ok, you stand here... and you stand there... all ready? Roll camera.... take 1....ACTION".

Sidenote: Do you really need a chair with the words "director" all over it?

The film is the director's vision. He/she takes a screenplay, and translates it into his/her vision for the screen. This includes everything from hiring the actors that fit the vision, down to sitting with the editor to make sure the cut is his/her vision, and everything in between. In major studios producers and studio heads can make any change they want, hence, the director's cut DVDs.

Yea, sure... theres Wikipedia pages out there with the dictionary meaning of the word... but I'm not interested in that.

What EXACTLY is the directors job? Surely its not just saying "ok, you stand here... and you stand there... all ready? Roll camera.... take 1....ACTION".
It’s a little more than that, but not much.

When the director is working with people who are equally skilled -
or better skilled - at their craft, there isn’t much more to do
than guide them to create what the director wants.

Good actors don’t need much more than “Okay, you stand there and
move to there on this line.”

An excellent DP knows where to place the camera to get the shots
the director wants so the director doesn’t need to say much more
than “I want...” and fill in the blank.

A skilled editor can look at a script and hundreds of set up and
takes and piece together a coherent film.

As long as the director has the vision and is good at motivating
people there isn’t much more to say than, “Stand there, put the
camera there, cut sooner.”

Of course it's kind of like saying that a baseball player's job is just
to catch the ball when it gets close or hit the ball at the right time
and run fast. That's pretty much it, but not all players are equal.

Sidenote: Do you really need a chair with the words "director" all over it?
Yes. Because if the chair says “actor” all over it an actor will sit
in it. If it says “DP” all over it, the DP will sit in it. It’s
nice to have a specific chair that no one else is using when the
director wants to sit down.

They actually don't even call the shot "roll sound, roll camera, slate up, ect", the 1st AD does.

And they Don't call the slate "scene X take 1, ect", the 2nd AC does. ;)

A director does everything and nothing.

They usually Hire all the 'above-the-line' crew, such as DP, Costume Designer, set designer, ect.
They are also a big part of the casting process.

They hire people who they feel can make there vision of the script come to be. And simply guide them along.

the director gets all the girls!

Hmm... I tell the women that I'm a director and suddenly they wanna buy me coffee and hear all about it... Weird that, eh? If I told them I shovelled crap at a local dairy... would they still buy me coffee?

A director does everything and nothing.

I've heard this before, while watching a making of on a DVD. My biggest inspiration in movie making is Robert Rodriguez... and he's the man who effectively coined the expression 'One Man Film crew'. I direct, edit, DP... so I guess I am the one man film crew. I love the challenge.

I agree with everyone saying that the director has a "vision" for the film. But its hard to convey this to the actors, especially if they're inexperienced.

Thanks for the interesting answers so far.

I agree with everyone saying that the director has a "vision" for the film. But its hard to convey this to the actors, especially if they're inexperienced.

Thanks for the interesting answers so far.

The main goal of a director is conveying his vision to the talent and ATL crew.

If it's coming out wrong, it's up to you to convey it better.

Agreed. If it ain't getting across, they're either deaf or you're talking in another language altogether. But its easier to work with people who a) have some experience and don't mind 'taking orders' and b) have worked with you before and know what to expect.

The Director is the captain, simple as that. He takes his crew, sorts out the ego, and puts them to work to bring his vision of the script to life.

That's the easiest way to describe it.

Spending hours talking to the cast and crew, trying to put all the pieces together, getting everyone to work just as they should... blah blah.... This is going to get redundant. Might as well have left it with "Captain".

My biggest inspiration in movie making is Robert Rodriguez... and he's the man who effectively coined the expression 'One Man Film crew'. I direct, edit, DP... so I guess I am the one man film crew. I love the challenge.

I'm definitely with you there. "El Mariachi" is one of the coolest films ever made, and he made it for $7,000. And on top of that he seems like a really nice guy who wants to help out other aspiring filmmakers. One of the special features on the "El Mariachi" DVD is a "10 Minute Film School" in which he shows the basics of editing together a scene and how to save money, and the entire time he's saying "It's all about having fun. Just grab your camera and get out there". Several years later I was watching a behind the scenes on the "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" DVD where he gives you a tour of his production/editing/music studio. It's in the man's house. Even though he has all the money now, he still does things the way he did with a $7,000 budget.

He is one of my heroes.

A DIRECTOR is more than a captain. That seems like such a vague non-descript thing to say. Yes, they are, but what kind of ship is he in charge of? What is he entitled to do? The job description of DIRECTOR varies from project to project, just like PRODUCER does.

In some cases, especially in television, a DIRECTOR is just traffic cop. Can you really tell Charlie Sheen how to act on his 6th season of his show? Only a PRODUCER can. In film, the DIRECTOR's VISION is more of a priority, and hence garners more respect and entitlement, but even then, depending on the budget level and involvement of the PRODUCERS, it ain't a one man show.

The most generalized job description is that a DIRECTOR is responsible for everything you "see" on screen, meaning the camera angles, set design, costume, performances, make up, etc. These are all decisions that a DIRECTOR makes, but usually needing approval from a PRODUCER. That's why a lot of the most powerful DIRECTORS in Hollywood are also PRODUCERS (IE Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg, the oft beloved Robert Rodriguez, etc.) so the two jobs get blurred for indies because they have no choice but to be both a PRODUCER and DIRECTOR.

This is the biggest problem with the new indie film movement - people don't understand the difference between PRODUCER and DIRECTOR. Most people are WRITER/PRODUCER who think they are WRITER/DIRECTOR. What winds up lacking is the DIRECTION in the movies. The camera and the cinematography have some of the biggest impact on a movie and I see so many kids just getting their movie photographed and think that's enough. Angles and camera movement can have a huge affect on the audience, just as much as performance, and it winds up being flat.

The most generalized job description is that a DIRECTOR is responsible for everything you "see" on screen, meaning the camera angles, set design, costume, performances, make up, etc.
An excellent point that I would like to elaborate on.

The director is responsible for everything you see. The director
is not an expert at everything. An excellent director will bring
on the best make up person they can find - they won't do the
make up on each actor. An excellent director will bring on the
best set decorator they can find - they won't do all the design
and decorating work themselves.

Same goes for the photography and audio. An excellent
director doesn't been to be an expert at lighting, photography,
lenses, boom placement and recording.

An excellent director can motivate people who are really good
at their jobs to make the best movie they can.

Sort of a summary of what has been said.

A director is an artist.

A director is a total dictator; it is the directors vision of the script and sole responsibility.

A director is a great communicator; he/she must communicate clearly and concisely their vision to the cast and crew.

A director is a consummate collaborator; she/he says "this is what I want" then allows the department keys the freedom to fulfill their part of his/her vision.

A director is a General leading his troops into battle providing leadership and inspiration.

A director is a mother, father, sister, brother, psychologist, rabbi, priest, imam, best friend and slave driver.

A director must wear many hats which can change from moment to moment.

@Sonnyboo

You do make a good point.

Basically, Where ever the money comes from, makes the calls.

Which is usually the producer or the director.

But, Producers are usually the ones to call Finacial shoots

and Directors call the creative shoots.

Usually.

At the indie stage, the director is a creative captin.

A DIRECTOR is more than a captain. That seems like such a vague non-descript thing to say. Yes, they are, but what kind of ship is he in charge of? What is he entitled to do? The job description of DIRECTOR varies from project to project, just like PRODUCER does.

In some cases, especially in television, a DIRECTOR is just traffic cop. Can you really tell Charlie Sheen how to act on his 6th season of his show? Only a PRODUCER can. In film, the DIRECTOR's VISION is more of a priority, and hence garners more respect and entitlement, but even then, depending on the budget level and involvement of the PRODUCERS, it ain't a one man show.

The most generalized job description is that a DIRECTOR is responsible for everything you "see" on screen, meaning the camera angles, set design, costume, performances, make up, etc. These are all decisions that a DIRECTOR makes, but usually needing approval from a PRODUCER. That's why a lot of the most powerful DIRECTORS in Hollywood are also PRODUCERS (IE Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg, the oft beloved Robert Rodriguez, etc.) so the two jobs get blurred for indies because they have no choice but to be both a PRODUCER and DIRECTOR.

This is the biggest problem with the new indie film movement - people don't understand the difference between PRODUCER and DIRECTOR. Most people are WRITER/PRODUCER who think they are WRITER/DIRECTOR. What winds up lacking is the DIRECTION in the movies. The camera and the cinematography have some of the biggest impact on a movie and I see so many kids just getting their movie photographed and think that's enough. Angles and camera movement can have a huge affect on the audience, just as much as performance, and it winds up being flat.

The Producer I liken to an admiral.

Yes, your right, I understand what you are saying.... I'm just putting it into the lowest common denominator. Especially on a low budget, you usually spend most of your time doing everything. Of course, the term Captain itself can be just as vague as director.

I see it like this: Producer assembles the team the director leads it. Yes, he is responsible for everything you see on screen. But how does he do that? Merely choosing the angles? Or does he create every single detail? You'd go insane if you do that. He leads the team who is supposed to put everything to screen. He makes the decisions, calls the shots, ect. I say what I want for a scene or a shot, plan it out, but I am also leading my crew. Hence, I'm their captain.

The Producer, however, I have to answer too. He gives me the missions, I follow those orders. I give the orders to the crew on how we go about the mission.

And yeah, I'm tired of lame ass student films with a static camera that lingers on a two shot for more than a minute before cutting to a really lame close up.

@Sonnyboo

Basically, Where ever the money comes from, makes the calls.

Which is usually the producer or the director.

But, Producers are usually the ones to call Finacial shoots

and Directors call the creative shoots.

Try telling that to Brian Grazer, Jerry Bruckheimer, Scott Mosier, and most other PRODUCERS.... NO, that is an absolute misconception. PRODUCERS very much are involved in the CREATIVE ASPECTS of making a movie, at least on real movies with real producers. The difference is that a PRODUCER has more control during pre-production and post production, while a DIRECTOR has more control during production/shoot over creative decisions.

A real producer is creatively involved in the decisions for a movie. When you start having multiple producers and a lot of money, it's filmmaking by committee. That's the reality of real filmmaking, not the backyard camcorder stuff (which is how I started). Even most movies with over $100,00 have creative producers involved in the decisions. That's what commentary tracks and behind the scenes videos on DVD's are NOT showing you. They perpetuate the myth that the director has autonomy and total control and that is NOT true at all. The DIRECTOR works for the PRODUCER, not the other way around.

Also, most directors I know don't put forth (or have) any money unless they are also producing.

Yes, on the "indie" level, meaning sub $5,000 level productions, a director is calling ALL the shots, but that's usually because they are paying for the movie, hence producing too.

Last edited:
Back