The Death and Return of Superman

'cos he's chummy with them? (Serious answer)

The guy who wrote that just made someone millions with Chronicle last weekend.

The producer ain't a no-name, either.

Bryan Basham has been producing since 2003. Max Landis
is the son of John Landis and is friends with Elijah Wood
and Simon Pegg.

He asked.

I'm interviewing former Louisiana Governor and current GOP Presidential candidate Buddy Roemer on my radio show today, because I asked.

It's amazing how often that works, where not asking almost never does.

gelder

That is one wacked video.

Smallville helped to revitalize Superman and reform some of the story concepts as the comic book writers saw it visualized into a live action series. The Superman myth was revised.

It also helped to re-write the Supergirl myth during Season 7 by making the comics realize a living relative to Superman would help him to really realize what he lost when Krypton was destroyed with the loss of family, civilization, and dreamss. More science fiction was added to the myth to flush out the characters better.

One of he most touching scenes in that season is when Clark finally got his cousin who recently revived after 18 years of suspended animation that Krypton is gone and they are all that is left. Kara started crying, realizing the loss and Clark told her she still has family and welcomed her to live on the farm.

Clark actually grew up in Season 7 having to keep his cousin out of trouble with the government hunting for alien visitors. Clark's worries of Kara exposing them both had many close calls. In Fierce, the third episode, he had to stop Kara from tearing apart the metal bars of jail to go after people who framed her to tell her to do things the legal way and wait for his friend Chloe to post her bail to get her released.

There is always a translation between comic books and live action. With ten years of episodes, Smallville had a very strong influence on DC Comics in both Superman and Supergirl comics. The title book characters Superman and Supergirl also strongly resembled the likeness of the actors playing their roles in Smallville.

Yes, the death of Superman by Doomsday helped to revitalize Superman. But, so did Smallville.

Last edited:
They needed to do something from falling sales.

As the video pointed out, the news media made a big deal about it. The issue of the death of Superman was a complete sellout and went into a second printing. The video did not mention it. But, I remember when it happened and the fact that it was a complete sellout.

My girlfriend's in the video. She says Max didn't know Elijah or Mandy or Simon beforehand - apparently, they all share a management company in common.

gelder

They needed to do something from falling sales.

As the video pointed out, the news media made a big deal about it. The issue of the death of Superman was a complete sellout and went into a second printing. The video did not mention it. But, I remember when it happened and the fact that it was a complete sellout.

Actually, the video DID mention that it was an instant sellout (they didn't mention the second printing, but in the world of comics, reprints are not uncommon). The point he was making was the whole thing came through as a quick cash grab and did NOT revitalize the character.

I do not agree with his conclusion that it ruined death in comics, not because he was wrong, but death being squishy happened long before Superman. Yes, lots of characters have been resurrected since. But plenty had come back form the dead before. The term "comic book death" was around long before then, referring to a dramatic death that will last for a couple issues at best. Though a couple people who had for years been "killed off for real" did come back post-supes-death (psd?)...Jason Todd and Gwen Stacey, we're looking at you. Some of the examples given were kinda silly too (Deadpool...I love the guy, but when your character has super-crazy-regeneration powers, should you be surprised when he isn't killed off for real?)

All that said, the video was more entertaining than the Death of Superman was. Compare and contrast with the Knightfall saga, less than a year later, also by DC, but with MUCH better writing.

I do enjoy discussions on the translation of comics to live action and vise versa.

I also saw how Smallville served as a media for DC Comics to not only see how some of their characters and plots translated into live action. But, it also serve as a reality check for story and character interaction. Kara and Lois evolved in the comics with their relation to Clark due to Smallville. The comics borrowed ideas from the TV series to add more credibility to the comics.

That is one wacked video.

Smallville helped to revitalize Superman and reform some of the story concepts as the comic book writers saw it visualized into a live action series. The Superman myth was revised.

It also helped to re-write the Supergirl myth during Season 7 by making the comics realize a living relative to Superman would help him to really realize what he lost when Krypton was destroyed with the loss of family, civilization, and dreamss. More science fiction was added to the myth to flush out the characters better.

One of he most touching scenes in that season is when Clark finally got his cousin who recently revived after 18 years of suspended animation that Krypton is gone and they are all that is left. Kara started crying, realizing the loss and Clark told her she still has family and welcomed her to live on the farm.

Clark actually grew up in Season 7 having to keep his cousin out of trouble with the government hunting for alien visitors. Clark's worries of Kara exposing them both had many close calls. In Fierce, the third episode, he had to stop Kara from tearing apart the metal bars of jail to go after people who framed her to tell her to do things the legal way and wait for his friend Chloe to post her bail to get her released.

There is always a translation between comic books and live action. With ten years of episodes, Smallville had a very strong influence on DC Comics in both Superman and Supergirl comics. The title book characters Superman and Supergirl also strongly resembled the likeness of the actors playing their roles in Smallville.

Yes, the death of Superman by Doomsday helped to revitalize Superman. But, so did Smallville.

I am a big Smallville fan too.

I am a big Smallville fan too.

Yep!

You've gotta love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdnoLiIN8rI&feature=related

Clark gets a better appreciation of what Jonathan and Martha Kent went through raising him now that he has to break in his cousin, Kara on how to adjust to life on Earth after he frees her from 18 years of suspended animation from her spaceship that was sent to Earth with his. She was sent to Earth to look out for him. She took care of baby Kal-El on Krypton. along with his mother Lara.

Much as Clark wants his only living relative in his life, he has great fears she will expose them both to the world. She does not know how to be discreet with her powers yet, as this clip shows.

Back