• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The Date

wheat,

Senior Homecoming, 2002.

I drive up to my date's house by myself.

I walk up to the doorstep and ring the doorbell. I'm in a black tux with a white vest and a corsage in my hand still in the plastic box I got from the local flower shop.

I wait, and this man answers the door staring at me.

He doesn't say anything, and he hands me a .300 rifle bullet.

He looks at me for a moment with a deadly straight face, and I'm standing there like "WTF?"

He then says:

"If you hurt her, the next one is going to come much faster."

I wish she was there to say something like "Oh daddy, quit it..."

But she was still getting ready and I had to sit in the foyer for quite a while by myself.

Roc, at least you never had to hide in a closet for an hour cause her dad came home. :no: Now that was the worst...

Her- "Shit my dads home get in the closet!"
Me- " Haha your kidding right?"
Her- *evilest look possible* "Get in the fucking closet"
Me- "fuuuuuck"

Last edited:
Do you honestly believe it's okay, in a public forum, to cite someone's ethnicity as a reason to not trust them? Do you really not see the potential harm in that? If being sensitive to other peoples' feelings is "politically correct", then color me politically correct.

You could've told the exact same story, while sparing us of your prejudices. And if you don't think you're prejudiced, then you either haven't googled that definition yet, or you're not listening to your own lyrics.

Do you honestly believe it's okay, in a public forum, to cite someone's ethnicity as a reason to not trust them? Do you really not see the potential harm in that? If being sensitive to other peoples' feelings is "politically correct", then color me politically correct.

You could've told the exact same story, while sparing us of your prejudices. And if you don't think you're prejudiced, then you either haven't googled that definition yet, or you're not listening to your own lyrics.

Yes, I do believe that facts can and should be told anywhere.

You take the citing of his ethnicity to not trust him. I cite it because it's a fact.

It's not his ethnicity that makes him untrustworthy, it's his lies and loitering.

The fact that he's black, is just a fact. You might not like it, or think it's necessary, but I don't care. It's part of the story, and white and black people that I've told it to, have the same reaction. What the fuck was she thinking?

As for me being prejudiced. You can believe what you want. You're wrong. You've been wrong about a lot of things. So, why should this be any different. You're just a politically correct ass that's OVERLY sensitive, which gives credence to all the nut jobs on the other side. You do no good for anyone, because you fight with the wrong people.

As for Dreadylocks: No problem. You can certainly agree with him. I would expect that. Because like him, look at your own post and opinions about who you thought would have written The Date.

I treat everyone with the respect they deserve till they prove me differently. I have zero tolerance for this newfangled political correctness that's just flat out bullshit.

A person loitering in a hallway, lying about who they are, should not be trusted, no matter what color their skin is. In this instance, it was black.

Guys PLEASE. Casting aspersions and dragging names and professional credibility through the mud should not be what the screenwriting section of this site is for.

Right or wrong, it’s been pushed past the professional debate or friendly disagreement level.

As fellow filmmakers I think we can all find common ground and agree that the mature and responsible way to resolve this matter is with swords or some kind of pistol duel that the rest of us can get liquored up and gamble on.

-Thanks-

I'm not sure that you challenged me with this story. It felt like something I've read, seen or discussed before in my past. I think you could also tell the same story and have people understand it without the narration.

I liked the narration myself, it had a disconnected thing I was into, but after seeing a few members say they feel it could fly without it, I think I could climb into that boat easily as well. I have to read it again without it and see how it strikes me.

-Thanks-

I'm not sure that you challenged me with this story. It felt like something I've read, seen or discussed before in my past. I think you could also tell the same story and have people understand it without the narration.

The last person that wrote about the actual script said the same thing.

I just posted because someone asked me to. I got a lot of flak about it years ago. I could make it, but I don't really have any intention of doing it. If someone else wants to take and make it, they can be my guest. It would be controversial.

Actually, after the first person said it could be done without narration, I completely agree. But, I did put the dialogue in for a reason. The problem is, I'd have to dissect what I wrote to figure it out. This comes from the late 90s. I do remember using a thesaurus throughout. I was trying to be artsy-fartsy.

Last edited:
Guys PLEASE. Casting aspersions and dragging names and professional credibility through the mud should not be what the screenwriting section of this site is for.

I couldn't agree more. I believe the insults have been rather one-sided. I don't think it's insulting for me to say that some is "prejudiced". EVERYONE is prejudiced. It's part of being human. I'm prejudiced. You are all prejudiced. Heck, sinner, I thought that's what the lyrics of your song were about -- looking deep inside and admitting your prejudices to yourself.

I've not called anybody any names, no matter how many times I've been insulted. What I did do was point out that some subject matter (like ethnicity) can be touchy, and so shouldn't be touched upon so wantonly, in a public forum. You can call that "politically correct", if you want; I just call it considerate behavior.

When I was relatively new to these forums, I used some language that was insensitive (the "r-tard" word). I intended it as playful, but I guess I offended some people. So, I've changed my behavior. I talk one way around friends, but when I might offend other people in a public forum, a different type of language is required. I don't think that's too much to ask.

The last person that wrote about the actual script said the same thing.

I just posted because someone asked me to. I got a lot of flak about it years ago. I could make it, but I don't really have any intention of doing it. If someone else wants to take and make it, they can be my guest. It would be controversial.

Actually, after the first person said it could be done without narration, I completely agree. But, I did put the dialogue in for a reason. The problem is, I'd have to dissect what I wrote to figure it out. This comes from the late 90s. I do remember using a thesaurus throughout. I was trying to be artsy-fartsy.

There is nothing wrong with being artsy-fartsy and I recommend trying to push that. I do think this could be an interesting visual film but I think the topic has been over done in music videos, film, TV, lectures and other media. But trying to figure out a new twist on this is not a bad idea and your concept would be a great starting point. Also, I think this would be a great challenge for some of the people who come on here and ask......."Hey, anyone have anything I can make into a film?" In fact, when someone asks that question we should have this as a main topic for noobs to filmmaking (or not new but whom has no ideas) to try and create a film out of this story. They can change the story how they see fit but have to stick with the same theme. It would be interesting to see how different people look at the same topic and what they come up with.

Just a thought.

Back