• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The Cheapest Dolly Ever

I've read that tin foil stuck to the bottom of a tripod can get it moving and sliding with great ease.

Have anyone tried it? If it works it'll be such a great dolly replacement!

Add a little olive oil, some rosemary a clove of garlic and
that tin foil can be use to make excellent chicken.

But seriously folks...

Jeremy, if you own a tripod and can find some tin foil you
can try this method personally and report back to us on
how well it works. Are you up to the experiment and the
report?

Try it on an asphalt road, a cement sidewalk, a cobblestone
street, a field of grass and a dirt footpath. Then go indoors
and try it on carpet, tile (like in a bathroom or kitchen) and
hardwood floors.

I look forward to hearing your report. If you can, shoot footage
and upload it so we can all see how this works.

Or try those Super Slider things LOL. Seriously though, just imagine the tripod hits a pebble or just catches from friction (if you can even get it to slide) and there goes the camera! Crash!

depending on where you want a dolly shot, use a box or some kind of pod on a car and just stableize the unit so it doesn't fall off as the car is rolling ( very very slowly)

Been a silent member here for a little while, but this demanded a contribution...I can't see any way that would work.

If you want a cheap dolly, run to the nearest hardware store and find one of Rubbermaid's heavy duty work carts. They're 60 bucks and, aside from a tripod, are one of your best cinematography investments. They're heavy enough that they don't shudder when you're moving them and fold up for easy transport.

I never found a guideline about posting images, so here's a link to what the cart looks like. It doesn't look like much, but believe me, it works.

http://www.pcnametag.com/images/frubl_l.jpg

:welcome: MADDstudios

@ OP

This sounds like a prank. I think one of your friends wants to tape you doing this hidden camera style.

How? All you do is push the car while it's in nutrual.

The liability suit would be against the person giving advice after some random moron tries to push the limits and get's hurt.

That's when mommy and daddy are gonna go looking for answers. "Where did you get this stupid idea", says Mommy.

"Someone on the internet told me to do it", says dumbass

"Show me where", says daddy.

Now it's time to find somebody to sue....that's modern America. Fact.

I have no idea. I was just making a statement based on advice given on fishing and mushroom growing forums that I frequent.

Tell hundreds of people to do something one way and you're bound to get a jackbag who is gonna base his retarded approach that will essentially be someones demise or amputation on a legitimately good idea.

As much as Americans love a good lawsuit, I would say that it has happened.

Back