The boom pole folly

I have often heard you get what you pay for, well, that is definitely true in Audio recording. I recently purchased a Rode Micro Boom pole. I barely got it set up before I noticed how loud the locking mechanisms seemed to be. With out a microphone the pole rattled when I moved it up or down. It rattled when I turned it side to side. Even when I secured the joints with hard ties it still rattled somewhat.

Once I got a microphone mounted, it became clear that I was going to need to spend more than $50 on a boom pole. The rattling was being picked up. Now, I am in need of an inexpensive but QUIET boom pole.

The Mission: Recommend a Boom pole.

The requirements: Low Noise, Sturdy, less than $200.

Notes: Only recommend Boom Poles you have personally used. This was my last trip into the unknown.

I got the one below from Amazon $40.. It was cheap and it is cheap , cheap , cheap.. The brass fitting to screw on the shock mount fell out, I popped it back in and gave it a good whack. The unit self destructed and the sections shot out the bottom from my hitting it. I got it together and it took a while to get the top section to function right. Now that I know it is cheap, cheap, cheap. I take care of it and it works. It is lightweight and functional. I still want to epoxy the brass fitting into the end to secure it. I hope to eventually replace it or better yet hire someone w/ good eqt << better . SO.. if you want cheap, quiet and functional. this one will do, just be careful, very careful..ohh and buy some 5 min epoxy.

OK so to really answer your question based on my experience..avoid the one below unless you are a patient fixxer upper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N6YJL8

OnStage MBP7000 Professional Microphone Boom Pole
21kQ04N7iVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I thought about that one. Then I read a couple colorful reviews about it. Right now I am thinking of ways to possibly modify the terrible micro boom I bought. I can still return it, but if there was a way to muffle the hideous clicking of metal against metal I would think about keeping it as an emergency pole.

The sound is caused by the smaller two telescopic rods clinking against the larger rods they are encased inside. I thought about buying some insulation tape to go around the areas when in use or getting some type of tight sheath to bind it into place.

Maybe the Rode boom pole is meant really to only be used extended. I have this similar problem with my boom pole if I don't extend the first extension at least half way I can hear that extension rattle against the outer tube. Locking it down after at least half way extending the section fixes the rattle.

Cheap boom-poles are meant to be used fully extended. Even with more expensive boom-poles the individual sections are meant to be fully extended; so if you have a five section boom-pole you extend the thinnest section first. You DO NOT extend each section just a little bit.

I've never used a cheap boom pole, so don't know what to recommend. I do like graphite boom poles from K-Tek, but they are way out of your price range.

I just extended each section of the pole as far as possible. There is a bit less rattle. It is a lot less frequent now. I am sure an experienced boom operator could do a much better job with it than I am currently doing. Then again, that same operator would probably not be happy having to work with the pole.

I will check out the K-tecs. IN the meantime I have gotten a couple foam sleeves. They should fit tight enough to keep it in place, but not restrict the locking of the positions. I am going to give it a try first. If it doesn't work then I will go for the immediate upgrade.

I agree that it probably is meant to be fully extended. I use that same Rode boom pole, fully extended, with no rattling issues. Obviously it's a cheap pole but it's better than no boom pole at all.

I have often heard you get what you pay for, well, that is definitely true in Audio recording. I recently purchased a Rode Micro Boom pole. I barely got it set up before I noticed how loud the locking mechanisms seemed to be. With out a microphone the pole rattled when I moved it up or down. It rattled when I turned it side to side. Even when I secured the joints with hard ties it still rattled somewhat.

Once I got a microphone mounted, it became clear that I was going to need to spend more than $50 on a boom pole. The rattling was being picked up. Now, I am in need of an inexpensive but QUIET boom pole.

The Mission: Recommend a Boom pole.

The requirements: Low Noise, Sturdy, less than $200.

Notes: Only recommend Boom Poles you have personally used. This was my last trip into the unknown.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/627960-REG/Cavision_SGP525R_SGP525R_5_Section_Mixed_Fiber.html

I agree that it probably is meant to be fully extended. I use that same Rode boom pole, fully extended, with no rattling issues. Obviously it's a cheap pole but it's better than no boom pole at all.

Same with me. I have a Rode boom pole with Rode, erm, microphone holding thingy on the end. It works perfectly with gaffer tape, fully extended and zero rattles.

Back