The best film ever made

sfoster

Staff Member
After rewatching this yesterday, I'm convinced that Schindler's List is the best film I've ever seen. On top of the significant historical value, there are such powerful emotions going through this film, and at the same time Spielberg still manages to work a few laughs in as well.

Does anything think it can be beat?

I love Schindler's List, but there are superior films.... in my opinion. Hunger is to me, the most underrated, powerful, and greatest film of all time. You know that feeling when a movie sticks with you and doesn't leave? That's what Hunger did for me. Steve McQueen has not done many films, but what he has done so far is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9IiUbBV4zc

The Lives of Others is probably one of the best and most underrated films I've seen. Unfortunately, the trailer has no dialogue, which is a shame because the film has richer and more interesting writing and performances then anything I've seen out of Tarantino and Spielberg combined. But it's a foreign film, and they think that the trailer will appeal to English speakers if we don't know what language it's in... so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FppW5ml4vdw

Sling Blade brought tears to my eyes, made me laugh, and had me on the edge of my seat.

Raging Bull is one of the most powerful films I've seen. I felt every punch that he had taken. It is like no other movie I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHhzOM4gBIA

Much of Paul Thomas Anderson's work is phenomenal as well. I know I'm probably going to get some hate for this, but I would rank him as one of the greatest directors of all time. Magnolia, There Will Be Blood, The Master, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsdMbJNDFxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3THVbr4hlY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ1O1vb9AUU

Oh, Tokyo Story and Rashomon are pretty great as well.

.... and then there's the film school answer: Citizen Kane

Once Upon a Time in the West or The Lord of the Rings gets my vote. I was rather ambivalent towards Schindler's List, as I am towards most Spielberg movies.

Once Upon a Time in the West or The Lord of the Rings gets my vote. I was rather ambivalent towards Schindler's List, as I am towards most Spielberg movies.

Do you think the LOTR films stand up 10+ years on? The first one is undoubtedly a classic, but the other two are a bit pedestrian for the most part.

Well I don't care for westerns, so there's no accounting for personal taste. :lol:
As for LOTR, I believe the two towers is a perfect film in many aspects.

There are many films I've given 5/5 stars, but I think it's an extra boost that Schindler's list managed to do such a thing with the real life subject matter.

the list of all 5/5 films for me.. out of a pool of around 1800 films seen

LOTR Two Towers
The Matrix
Gladiator
Ip Man
Lawrence of Arabia
A New Hope
Die Hard
Psycho
Fight Club
Batman Begins
The man from nowhere
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Saving Private Ryan
Finding Nemo
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Apocalypse Now
Tootsie
Fifth Element
Schindler's List
Terminator 2
Rashomon
Giant
Shrek
Back to the Future
The Lion King
3 Idiots
Ace Ventura When Nature Calls
Citizen Kane
There Will Be Blood
Ip Man 2
Charade
Monty Python and Holy Grail
American Psycho
The Kid
Shawshank Redemption
The Graduate
Full Metal Jacket
North by Northwest
Happy Gilmore
American Beauty

The Greatest Movie Ever Made... is Contact.
smiley_colbert.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRoj3jK37Vc

Schindler's List made me laugh once, but because I'm a horrible person with a sick sense of humor.

But, yeah, there can be no "best movie ever" because there are too many different things that a movie can be. It's a diverse medium, and that's what makes it great!

I consider a film "great" or "of the best" when...

The film's story is interesting and original, and is well assisted by all of the film's elements. Instead of trying to have shallow DOF, "cool" color grading, and awesome camera shots, using the look and sound of the film to subtly push the idea of mood, time, location, and tone of the story. One example is Raging Bull. The film has very harsh, high contrast, and sharp black and white images to show the bleakness and pain of the film's characters. In Hunger, McQueen brilliantly used silence to show the power, grimness, beauty, pain, and emotion of the situation the characters are caught in.

When a film can capture something amazing and large within an everyday task or seemingly mundane task or action. In Sofia Coppola's Somewhere, she took something very small and turned it into something large by creating interesting and engaging characters. Same goes with Lost in Translation.

When a film stays with you. When an image, sound, or is engraved into your mind, and it doesn't leave for a while. In the masterpiece The Shining, Kubrick used horrifying and strange images to create mood and push the intensity of the story. The bear and the waiter, Jack's icy face, the twins, etc. A more recent film would be Gravity. Sound design was used to great effect into the film. It made the film more real and lively. I was disappointed when the film ended. It felt like just a few minutes. The director had created interesting characters and an engaging plot, and used all of the cast, crew, and gear to it's fullest. The intense sound and remarkable visuals made the film all the more amazing. I can still hear and see what happened. The movie is still in my mind.

Most importantly... a movie should entertain you.

Movies are a form of entertainment. What's the point of watching a movie if you're bored out of your mind or don't give care about any of the characters. You should enjoy a movie, not dread the experience. All of my favorite films entertain or at least interest me. The Lives of Others and Ben X were flat out amazing. I was on the edge of my seat and with the characters.

But of course, everything I have written so far is purely my opinion. I'm sure someone else could disagree and say something 100% different.

There is no "best" film. No film can be ranked. No form of art can be ranked.

I consider a film "great" or "of the best" when...

The film's story is interesting and original, and is well assisted by all of the film's elements. Instead of trying to have shallow DOF, "cool" color grading, and awesome camera shots, using the look and sound of the film to subtly push the idea of mood, time, location, and tone of the story.

Truth. =)

Schindler's List is a great film. It would have been absurd if they hadn't given him the Oscar.

Yeah, Steve, Contact is awesome. It's up there for me, too.

Right, I agree that you can't, or shouldn't, pick a best film of all time, or whatever. But let's try to, anyway. =P

Yeah, Citizen Kane. Can't really pick that one, myself. Maybe it's just over my head? Maybe I don't appreciate it enough because I'm lacking. But I've never been too thrilled about it. I saw it the once, and I haven't felt too inclined to watch it again.

I suppose I tend to lean towards Apocalypse Now being #1.

But maybe tomorrow, heck, maybe in the next moment, I'll think it might be something else. And really, I'm sitting here thinking that It's a Wonderful Life is a contender for the greatest film. It pushes just about all the buttons that you can push with a film. It touches such a wide range of human emotion and experience. In some ways, it's a near perfect movie, isn't it? It's an emotional powerhouse, really. I always think of that incredible "love scene" when George and Mary are sharing that phone call and end up kissing and professing their love for each another. Could be that there's no greater, no more romantic "love scene" in all of film...made so far.

Last edited:
How can you define what the best movie is?

How can you compare Forrest Gump to Star Wars and define which one is better ? They are completely different movies . You can't just say that one movie is the best . It would simply be retarded .

Not to mention that it really depends on the person . I have a girlfriend which favorite movie is Hannah Montana and she can most definitely watch this movie 10 times , but she can barely stand through Schindler's list .
Is she stupid ? Well..Probably yes . But still .

I would rather chop my head off and burn my hair and then hang myself while a group of cannibals are eating my body than watching Hannah Montana just one more time . However she loves and she can watch it every day ! For her , this is the best movie .

So ... :abduct:

Last edited:
How can you define what the best movie is?

How can you compare Forrest Gump to Star Wars and define which one is better ? They are completely different movies . You can't just say that one movie is the best . It would simply be retarded .

Not to mention that it really depends on the person .

this

Back