That didn't take long

Just did a search and found that someone has posted my film CRIMPS online for free download already. One site has more than 10,000 downloads. Thanks a lot to whatever POS cyberspace scumbag is responsible. I spent many years and much money to make this and they rip me off before I even have a chance to pursue distribution.

Since I'm on dial-up, I'm not equipped to check the link, but I am curious what version has been posted. If it doesn't have music, it was taken from a festival submission DVD. If it does, it was a post-screening copy. If anyone checks it out, please let me know which version it is.

I'm guessing there's pretty much nothing I can do about it. :angry:

10,000? Wow. Obviously pirating really hurts the little guys, but in a way, that's kind of flattering.

I didn't see it on any of the popular, open trackers.

There's a huge probablilit that it isn't the actual movie. Just a keyword to get people to the torrent site.

Superseeds is on torrent sites and the movie isn't even done yet. Lol.

There's a huge probablilit that it isn't the actual movie. Just a keyword to get people to the torrent site.

:lol:

2001, I'm really sorry about this news. I really hope, as Kholi suggests, that it might be just a scare. If you send me the link, I can check it out.

It's important to realize that 10,000 downloads does not equal 10,000 lost sales. In reality, it's probably only a fraction of a percent that download that would have actually paid for the film.

Also, send a DMCA take-down notice to the ISP of the site where it's being shared (or where it's hosted) if you want it taken down. Just realize that for every one site you get taken down, you'll have half a dozen more pop up. To an extent, it's not worth pursuing.

And like Kholi said, it's completely possible that it's not even the film and instead is just some garbage file with that keyword to get traffic.

Figured as much.

I don't know how they manage to source the names of ultra low tier material like ours, Mick, but they do it. I can't really search SUPERSEEDS now without having to refine it with subtraction algorithms to avoid a ton of keywords related to "downloading" the movie... which again, is still in post and hasn't been shown anywhere but in the office.

Weirdos.

Cameron's right, though, that a torrented copy of your movie isn't really gonna hurt a filmmaker's/producer's distro chances if you have a chance at good distro in the first place: the negative reviews might, but the people downloading unknown movies aren't reviewing them, anyway.

You're all good, man.

$50 says this is correct.

This happened to my film too, but I had a hacker check the site out and nope, the film wasn't actually there.

Nope. Can't find it on thePirateBay or Demonoid. Those are the main two sites that you need to be concerned about. The other is http://www.letmewatchthis.com No download of your movie posted there either. The one link is just a lure to get people to pay for a membership. What usually happens is you pay to join but the movie isn't available on the site after all. Most downloaders know this and never pay for these paid sites. They look on the 3 fore mentioned sites. The really sophisticated downloaders will look on newgroup sites, but there's so few people who understand how newsgroups work that it's not even worth policing there. There's also a lot of "mirror" torrent sites like KickAssTorrents , Torrentz.eu , SeedPeer.com , TorrentReactor.to , TorrentCrazy.com , TorrentRoom.com , Kat.ph , Monova.org , Mininova.biz , BitSnoop.com , TorrentFunk.com , BitTrend.com , TorrentHound.com , IsoHunt.com , BtJunkie.org , TorrentJunk.com , TorrentDeluxe.com , BtScene.eu and others that simple mirror what's on thePirateBay or index false torrents to lure people into paying for memberships.

There's no way an indie film would have 100,000 downloads anyway. That's the first thing that doesn't add up.

Once someone DOES illegally post a torrent with your movie the only way to fight it is to post decoys to divert attention away from it. Once in a blue moon you can figure out who the poster is. For example they might use PhotoBucket to post images of your movie, then with Google you can find other pictures that they have posted. I once uncovered the name and phone number of a dude who posted some of my intellectual property on PirateBay. Also sometimes people use screen names that are the same as their YouTube screenname, then you can send them an email. Another little thing you can do is try to log on to their user account trying each of the most common passwords (ex- abc123, 123456, monkey, etc) then remove the torrent.

Last edited:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU everybody for checking this out and letting me know!!! You are what's right about the Internet.

BTW, I just returned from a CRIMPS screening at its first ever festival. Not a very big audience, unfortunately (but not surprisingly), but the projection and sound quality were absolutely top notch! It held up very well on the big screen, I'm relieved to say. :)

Okay, this is classic. One of the supposed "free download" sites had this description for the movie:

Young people in general are melting loves a small, Oregon town furthermore the solitary sense is beautiful, immature recluse Veronica Chandler. Eddie Hooper sorts out to get to the lowest of the mystery, then again his engagement as well as Veronica may class him the after victim.

You wanna run that by me again? :lol:

If your production is listed on IMDB, they may be making bogus advertisements on google about your production being available to watch for free with 10,000 titles and they may even stick ,comments on your youtube clips. It happened to me. When I went to the actual site, my movie wasn't there.

Be sure!

Okay, this is classic. One of the supposed "free download" sites had this description for the movie:

Young people in general are melting loves a small, Oregon town furthermore the solitary sense is beautiful, immature recluse Veronica Chandler. Eddie Hooper sorts out to get to the lowest of the mystery, then again his engagement as well as Veronica may class him the after victim.

You wanna run that by me again? :lol:

ESL?

Some sorta scraping algorithm and auto translation of your web page.. just for fun I took the first paragraph from you text about the move, ran it though google translate, English -> Chineese then back again.. heres what you get.

(original text here: http://2001productions.com/crimps.aspx)

It is not a trace from a small, riverside town, and newcomers Eddie Hooper disappear, seems to be the only one concerned about it. Curious beauty and secluded Veronica Chandler's story - who may or may not be involved in the disappearance - from the exhausted detective Eddie ignored repeated warnings, and began investigating. In the century-old mystery of the wreck the key may lie, but Eddie put together the puzzle it becomes clear that he's obsessed with Veronica, is likely to make his next victim. In his own secret, driven by Eddie deeper darkness of the town lurking beneath the surface calm of the world, the evil face of its ghostly past is still lure.

then ran the Chinese through to Russian back to English..

TR disappear, it seems, only one concerned about this. Beautiful and secluded curious Veronica Chandler story - they may or may not go away - from the exhausted detective Eddie ignored repeated warnings, and began an investigation. The wreck of the century may be the key to the mystery lies, but Eddie assemble puzzles, it became clear that his obsession with his mother, is likely to make his next victim. According to his own secret, led Eddie deep dark world hidden beneath the surface calm of the city, its ghostly past is still the face of evil temptations.

When did Eddie become obbsesed with his mother? lol

I'm thinking the same as wheatgrinder. If they're not actual downloads then you're safe. If they are downloads, that shows a great following of your work which, once you've got the proof, can be used to attract future funding or job opportunities.
It's never a waste! Keep on creating.

Back