news Terry Gilliam Still ‘Tired’ of #MeToo ‘Witch Hunt’, White Men ‘Being Blamed for Everything’

Over the past few years, when he wasn’t working on getting “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” made, director Terry Gilliam was making sure the world knew his opinion on just about everything and heard his voice. Because, according to Gilliam, the white male voice is simply being silenced these days.

In an interview with The Independent’s Alexandra Pollard that was supposed to center on “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote,” Gilliam decided that he was “so booored of talking about the film” — which took him 30 years to make — and instead pivoted to calling #MeToo “a witch hunt,” self-identifying as a “melanin-light male” (a callback to his earlier comments about identifying as “a black lesbian”), and stating that he’s tired of white males “being blamed for everything that is wrong with the world.”

If all of this sounds familiar, that’s because Gilliam made the same statements back in the summer of 2018. That was when he first publicly made the “I’m no longer a white man, I’m a black lesbian.” comment as a joke, as well as the idea that white men are “blamed for everything wrong in the world.” In his interview with The Independent, Gilliam stated, “I don’t like the term black or white. I’m now referring to myself as a melanin-light male. I can’t stand the simplistic, tribalistic behaviour that we’re going through at the moment.”

He continued, “I’m talking about being a man accused of all the wrong in the world because I’m white-skinned. So I better not be a man. I better not be white. OK, since I don’t find men sexually attractive, I’ve got to be a lesbian. What else can I be? I like girls. These are just logical steps. … I’m just trying to make you start thinking.” As the feature acknowledges, The Independent’s Pollard didn’t find Gilliam’s thought process all that logical.

“There’s no room for modern masculinity, I’m told,” Gilliam told The Independent, without citing a source. “‘The male gaze is over’.” This particular talking point trickled down into Gilliam talking about #MeToo and calling it a “witch hunt.”

“Yeah, I said #MeToo is a witch hunt. I really feel there were a lot of people, decent people, or mildly irritating people, who were getting hammered. That’s wrong. I don’t like mob mentality. These were ambitious adults.” He added, “There are many victims in Harvey [Weinstein’s] life and I feel sympathy for them, but then, Hollywood is full of very ambitious people who are adults and they make choices. We all make choices, and I could tell you who did make the choice and who didn’t.”

“The point is, you make choices,” Gilliam continued. “I can tell you about a very well-known actress coming up to me and saying, ‘What do I have to do to get in your film, Terry?’ I don’t understand why people behave as if this hasn’t been going on as long as there’ve been powerful people. I understand that men have had more power longer, but I’m tired, as a white male, of being blamed for everything that is wrong with the world.”

“I just love arguing,” Gilliam said, at the end of the interview. “And if you’ve got a point, you should be able to argue your thing.”

yeah if you cant beat them, join them. It's time for us men to all put on dresses and become women too.
I'm a step ahead of the rest of yall

Last edited:
I have the perfect solution for Mr. Gilliam: if he's tired of white men being blamed for everything, all he needs to do is help shift power to women and non-white men.

White men aren't better or worse - they simply have most of the power in the English-speaking world. If you doubt that, just check the statistics: they dominate both houses of the US Congress and Parliament, the judiciary, the corporate world, and the list of top wealthiest people.

The rest of us will certainly screw up just as much when we have more power - we'll do things differently, but not better.
And then white men won't be blamed for all the shit that happens, 'cause they'll have a smaller percentage of responsibility.

:)

Since he is close friends with Johnny Depp I imagine that he wanted him back for The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. But the studio did not want that.... It's just a my hypothesis......

White men aren't better or worse - they simply have most of the power
I've never really understood the attitude of 'well it's not my fault!'

Instead of listening, understanding, acceptance of the problems, and work towards fixing said problems in our society, we get people (mostly white men) who yell and scream about how 'well it wasn't me!'

“I can tell you about a very well-known actress coming up to me and saying, ‘What do I have to do to get in your film, Terry?’ I don’t understand why people behave as if this hasn’t been going on as long as there’ve been powerful people
I don't understand why, when someone hears themselves saying this sentence out loud, their first instinct is 'I'm tired of being blamed for this' rather than 'how do we fix an industry where women feel they need to do things like this to stand out or land roles' and 'how do we stop men taking advantage of actresses desperately trying to further her career'.

Last edited:
I don't understand why, when someone hears themselves saying this sentence out loud, their first instinct is 'I'm tired of being blamed for this' rather than 'how do we fix an industry where women feel they need to do things like this to stand out or land roles' and 'how do we stop men taking advantage of actresses desperately trying to further her career'.

The idea sounds laughable to me... at least how I've interpreted what you wrote.
It sounds like youre proposing to take away the seductive power of beautiful women?

Really charming beautiful women will always have the capacity to flirt effectively and nothing we can do short of mandating burkas for public attire will take that capacity away. How are you ever going to stop a woman from slipping the casting director a note, etc if that is what she is determined to do? You can't.

I think the best we can do is focus on stopping the predatory behavior of powerful men by creating systems of accountability - and it appears that we have a lot of progress in that area in recent years.

As far as fixing an industry where women feel they need to do things like this to stand out... there is no 'fix' for a competitive environment that is hard to stand out in. These are the most talented actors in the world competing for roles worth millions of dollars.. being hard to land is part of the game.

IDK man maybe if we just legalized prostitution these people could all get sex off their damn minds and start focusing on work while theyre on the job.

It sounds like youre proposing to take away the seductive power of beautiful women?
I’m saying a woman (or man) should be employed or not employed based on their talent and suitability for the role.

To pre-empt the question, if the role requires a woman to be beautiful then she should be hired based on being beautiful, not based on whether she was willing to sleep with someone on the casting team.

I mean, we should also write female characters who are more than just ‘sexy without knowing it’ but that’s perhaps a discussion for another time.

If an actor or actress wants to give the casting director their number, that’s completely their prerogative, but they shouldn’t be cast or not cast based on whether they’re willing to sleep with said casting director.

Last edited:
If an actor or actress wants to give the casting director their number, that’s completely their prerogative, but they shouldn’t be cast or not cast based on whether they’re willing to sleep with said casting director.

Yeah I agree but how would you stop it ?

Yeah I agree but how would you stop it ?
As a white male, I would feel.. awkward to say the least pretending to know the best solutions for women and other marginalised communities in our industry, though I would suggest holding people accountable and not tolerating certain attitudes and behaviours is a big start (but only a start).

I think importantly, we cannot allow people to be dismissive of the kinds of movement like MeToo which give people not just a voice, but that can be genuinely heard.

Last edited:
As a white male, I would feel.. awkward to say the least pretending to know the best solutions for women and other marginalised communities in our industry, though I would suggest holding people accountable and not tolerating certain attitudes and behaviours is a big start (but only a start).

I think importantly, we cannot allow people to be dismissive of the kinds of movement like MeToo which give people not just a voice, but that can be genuinely heard.

IMO the metoo movement, powerful sexual predators manipulating people, is very different than a woman trying to sleep her way to the top.
I do not put these two in the same ballpark personally. for example the latter probably happens in every industry, even in college classes. it's joked about at the very least.

Last edited:
the latter probably happens in every industry
Sexual assault and harassment; powerful people abusing their positing and manipulating people happens in every industry too.

I personally think an assumption that successful women are 'sleeping their way to the top' in any kind of significant number could be seen, at best, as naiive to the realities of many industries for many, if not the majority of, women.

I personally think an assumption that successful women are 'sleeping their way to the top' in any kind of significant number could be seen, at best, as naiive to the realities of many industries for many, if not the majority of, women.

Ah but I thought that was the basis for this whole conversation, the terry quote

"“I can tell you about a very well-known actress coming up to me and saying, ‘What do I have to do to get in your film, Terry?’ I don’t understand why people behave as if this hasn’t been going on as long as there’ve been powerful people "

Last edited:
Ah but I thought that was the basis for this whole conversation, the terry quote

"“I can tell you about a very well-known actress coming up to me and saying, ‘What do I have to do to get in your film, Terry?’ I don’t understand why people behave as if this hasn’t been going on as long as there’ve been powerful people "
My point is, deflecting the blame to women seeking to 'sleep their way to the top' is at best dismissive of the importance of the conversation. ‘What do I have to do to get in your film, Terry?’ does not in any way suggest any kind of sexual connotation, at least not to me - so where does the sexual element come into play and who is it that is implying that is sexual?

I think there's a very important and distinct difference between genuinely and enthusiastically having sex with someone which in turn leads to favourable treatment, and feeling like the only way to not just get favourable treatment - but any 'treatment' (or job) at all - is by using sex.

The power that these men wield is implicit in these interactions, even if it is never explicitly stated. To tacitly accept a sexual favour that you know is only being provided because the person providing it thinks that's what they have to do to get a job, or to coerce consent is still on the spectrum of sexual assault, and is still very different to the enthusiastic consent of someone of equal power status.

Anyway, as a white man this isn't really my conversation to have... I defer to the admirable women of our industry.

My point is, deflecting the blame to women seeking to 'sleep their way to the top' is at best dismissive of the importance of the conversation. ‘What do I have to do to get in your film, Terry?’ does not in any way suggest any kind of sexual connotation, at least not to me - so where does the sexual element come into play and who is it that is implying that is sexual?

Oh I 100% read that as a sexual suggestion on behalf of the actress.
Terry was saying that a well known actress came up to him and propositioned him with sex because she wanted to be in his film. I inferred this based on the context of the interview.

I'm saying that sort of thing.. two famous people and then the actress propositions herself is something that is impossible to enforce from a logistic point of view. Terry isn't going to go report her.. that sounds like an awful move on his behalf. Just ignore her and hire the person that is best for your film.

Anyway that's all I was trying to say.. that you cant realistically prevent actions from actresses like that. so why try something futile?
ultimately i dont think it's all that rampant to begin with but idk. the rest of your post it was all very well said, even for a white male 😄

Last edited:
Back