Terra Nova

Fox/Spielberg have a new show called Terra Nova. The Earth is dying so a chosen few travel back 75 millions years to presumably repopulate the Earth or something. I can buy that. Everything is primeval and huge dinosaurs roam around randomly ripping human heads off and impaling torsos with their pointy tails. I'm still on board. But then, a group of unarmed teenagers randomly hike out in the jungle to talk about life and who likes who. They're unarmed, unguarded, inattentive to surroundings.

Another thing, automatic weapons fire apparently does no damage to dinosaurs.

Last edited:
Another thing, automatic weapons fire apparently does no damage to dinosaurs.

Exactly!! Pissed me off, that part! I was like "why are these people wasting ammo then?"

and aren't the dinosaurs way too smart?. The damn things are supposed to have the brain of a lizard or a dumb bird, not a human or a crow. that pissed me off too.

Exactly!! Pissed me off, that part! I was like "why are these people wasting ammo then?"

and aren't the dinosaurs way too smart?. The damn things are supposed to have the brain of a lizard or a dumb bird, not a human or a crow. that pissed me off too.

Yep, dinos way too smart and humans way too dumb.

And the VFX make me long for the days of the SciFi channel.

Aiming at the soft under belly can kill dinos, according to the security guy, from AVATAR (Stephen Lang). Not a bad show for TV, IMO.

What do you have to hit it with? Hellfire missile? Gunfire ain't cuttin' it.

I noticed that the main story line was a few innocent kids stuck inside a broken car in the middle of a Dino infested jungle. Sounds a little like Jurassic Park. Just sayin.

Last edited:
What do you have to hit it with? Hellfire missile? Gunfire ain't cuttin' it.

He was referring to the Slashers' underbellies, using machine guns. Knowing that anything but high caliber weapons can just piss off a grizzly bear (bullets bounce off their heads, sometimes), I imagine this would be a fairly realistic depiction of machine guns' effectiveness against massive dinosaurs. They really need to have some whaling guns, with the exploding ammo!

Was it bullets that brought down that carnasaur at the gates, or did that thing get away?

I noticed that the main story line was a few innocent kids stuck inside a broken car in the middle of a Dino infested jungle. Sounds a little like Jurassic Park. Just sayin.

Meh, those kids should be beaten with sticks and left to the jungle. :lol: I was half watching (missed the very beginning), but it started grabbing my attention. It reminded me more of LOST than JURASSIC - another settlement, a hidden agenda surrounding the mathematical rock markings... What I did like was that the dad was an escaped prisoner and ex-cop, who is breaking the law by being there. I like how his talent is recognized the head of security.

I will probably catch another episode or two and make up my mind about continuing with it. Admittedly, the show could really use some scenes like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y1Tx1150ic

:D

He was referring to the Slashers' underbellies, using machine guns. Knowing that anything but high caliber weapons can just piss off a grizzly bear (bullets bounce off their heads, sometimes), I imagine this would be a fairly realistic depiction of machine guns' effectiveness against massive dinosaurs. They really need to have some whaling guns, with the exploding ammo!

:D

I don't agree. I have some personal experience with bullets versus living tissue -- the consequences are usually devastating depending on the variables. Blasting those creatures with automatic weapons would rip them apart -- and do worse to a bear. Bullets also bounce off human heads too.

I have some personal experience with bullets versus living tissue -- the consequences are usually devastating

I only have a TEC-9, so I would have to try and shoot the carnivore in the eye, ear or mouth for maximum effect:

LochNessTerror3.jpg

You're probably right that high caliber autos will shred giant reptile plating. I'll have to remind myself that TERRA NOVA is a TV show with fake dinosaurs, so I can continue enjoying it. :lol:

Crap, wrapped in poop, and covered in faeces. And that's what I think of the GOOD parts of the first episode.

what would be cool is if they killed a dinosaur and then ate its meat. now that I'd like to see. I wanna know if it tastes like chicken

what would be cool is if they killed a dinosaur and then ate its meat. now that I'd like to see. I wanna know if it tastes like chicken

I'd rather they killed those annoying sappy kids that wander off into the jungle to talk about "How we feel about each other..."

LochNessTerror3.jpg

You're probably right that high caliber autos will shred giant reptile plating. I'll have to remind myself that TERRA NOVA is a TV show with fake dinosaurs, so I can continue enjoying it. :lol:

That's the difference between us then, as the show manages to do this for me about every 5 seconds.

I agree with scoop, it reminds me way more of Lost than Jurassic Park.

But come on, it's a sci-fi show, not Sherlock Holmes. I can suspend my disbelief for an hour.

I thought the first ep was great. Sure it got a little hammy, but it was the first episode, what do you expect? They're still establishing everything. I've only seen one pilot episode from a show that was as good as the rest of the show and that was Sliders.

@scoop you should go back and catch the beginning of the premiere, it was one of the best parts. Really intense.

That's the difference between us then, as the show manages to do this for me about every 5 seconds.

I grew up on Captain Kirk fighting the Gorn lizard (which I still love!), so I'm very adept at suspending disbelief.

STArena.jpg

TERRA NOVA is about people time travelling(!) and interacting with dinosaurs(!), so I was already taking it with a grain of salt. I was taught that dinosaurs (like the Stegosaurus) had brains the size of walnuts, so it wasn't much of a stretch to think that it would take a lot of shots to hit one of these dudes in a critical spot. I agree that more damage (bullets ripping through flesh) should be shown. Frankly, TERRA is much better than MEGA SHARK VS GIANT OCTOPUS, MEGA PIRANHA or any SyFy dino movie that's been out in a while. The effects are much better than the theatrical movie, A SOUND OF THUNDER.

The one thing we have in common is we wanted to see those kids get eaten. :D

Last edited:
That thing that I don't get is this: The captain guy (I can't remember his name) said he was the first to go through the gap and that he had to wait 180 days for the others, but to them it was only a few seconds. How come when all the other groups came through they popped out one after another? Where's the 180 days in past = a few seconds in the future thing?

Man, the jpegs you keep attaching in this thread are awesome!

I grew up on Captain Kirk fighting the Gorn lizard (which I still love!), so I'm very adept at suspending disbelief.

STArena.jpg

TERRA NOVA is about people time travelling(!) and interacting with dinosaurs(!), so I was already taking it with a grain of salt. I was taught that dinosaurs (like the Stegosaurus) had brains the size of walnuts, so it wasn't much of a stretch to think that it would take a lot of shots to hit one of these dudes in a critical spot. I agree that more damage (bullets ripping through flesh) should be shown. Frankly, TERRA is much better than MEGA SHARK VS GIANT OCTOPUS, MEGA PIRANHA or any SyFy dino movie that's been out in a while. The effects are much better than the theatrical movie, A SOUND OF THUNDER.

The one thing we have in common is we wanted to see those kids get eaten. :D

Back