• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

music Tell me if my soundtrack is too outdated and overused

I'm currently writing a screenplay that I plan to film about 2 Teenagers on a road trip to meet one's favorite celebrity. It's gonna be funny, but also sentimental and sweet. I want it to have an early 2000s feel but I don't want it to seem dated if that makes sense. I put together a list of songs I want in the movie but I can't decide if they're too overused and would make the movie feel dated or unoriginal. Keep in mind money for licensing is no object and I'm not worried about that, just if I chose the right songs.

I really like the idea of the Top 3, but they've been used so much. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230929_095855_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230929_095855_Samsung Notes.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 86
These are all good song choices for this kind of story. But here's my honest first reaction as an indie film director.

Ok, I have your order as 8 licenses, 6 premium and 2 regular.

That will be $245,000. Would you like to donate a dollar to charity with your order?

These are all good song choices for this kind of story. But here's my honest first reaction as an indie film director.

Ok, I have your order as 8 licenses, 6 premium and 2 regular.

That will be $245,000. Would you like to donate a dollar to charity with your order?
I don't plan on using all. I thought maybe 2 or 3 depending on what the cost came out to be. My budget is decently high for being independently funded. I'm just glad to hear they're good choices, fitting them into the budget is the next thing but I'm not too concerned about that

I'm currently writing a screenplay that I plan to film about 2 Teenagers on a road trip to meet one's favorite celebrity. It's gonna be funny, but also sentimental and sweet. I want it to have an early 2000s feel but I don't want it to seem dated if that makes sense. I put together a list of songs I want in the movie but I can't decide if they're too overused and would make the movie feel dated or unoriginal. Keep in mind money for licensing is no object and I'm not worried about that, just if I chose the right songs.

I really like the idea of the Top 3, but they've been used so much. What do you guys think?
I like all the songs on your list. Depending on how you use them they could
easily make your movie seem outdated. Not much help, I know. But there is
no way I can offer my opinion on if you chose the right songs without seeing
the movie.

The use of songs and image in a move is too important for me have an opinion
on one (do I personally like the song) without the other (does the song fit the
story). A song I like in the right place is iconic. A song I dislike in the right place
is surprising.

Now you are experiencing why there are people who spend - and make - hundreds
of thousands deciding these things.

Back