Teen wants to start filming?

Hey guys! Well as it says I am a freshman looking to start filming. I always dreamed of making videos and becoming an editor/director and become part of the youtube top dogs, but I just don't know how to get there. I have a tripod, JVC GRDA30U camcorder, and Final Cut Express. I do some things on the side like filming random things like me skateboarding but I want to start to do shorts. How would I get my friends to help? It would be kind of weird to just ask them, "Hey do you wanna do a movie?" And my parents are kind of iffy on the idea of a youtube channel. I really like writing scripts and planning things out but would that seem weird to make a script to a short movie? Thanks for reading this guys!

I gotta tell you, I can't think of any other way to see if your
friends are interested in making a movie other than asking,
"Hey do you wanna do a movie?". You can't get them to
help by saying, "Hey, wanna go play video games?"

Parents are a different issue. They can be kinda hard to persuade.
Here's what I did when I was your age.

I wrote a couple of scripts, I asked my friends if they wanted to
do a movie, I set a shooting date, got permission to use the
school after hours and then told my parents. Once they saw I
was really serious and this wasn't something I was going to start
and drop, they got behind it.

It's not at all weird to make a script into a short movie. All of us
movie makers do that all the time.

Make three of four short films and show them to your parents. I'll
bet that once they see you are serious and you actually finish
several short films that aren't just fooling around with a camera,
they'll let start a YouTube channel.

Thought you might like some advice from someone your age. Im 18 and currently a Senior in High School. Id say at the end of Middle School is when I started making videos with my friend. I was just at his house one day, and we had NOTHING to do, so out of nowhere he opens windows movie maker and he's like check this out we can make a movie. And he turns on his web camera and we just started filming. It was really fun and it ended up becoming a daily or weekly thing, just goofing off with his webcamera (it's the best we could do!)
Then I got a job at a grocery store in 9th grade, and I realized how much I really didn't want to work for anyone for the rest of my life, and I figured...hey, I really love video making ... and that was my start. So then in 10th grade is when I really started gearing for directing as a career, I told my parents, and like all high schooler parents they told me i'd change my mind a million times before I decided what iwanted to do. But my mind is 100% made up. I will DEFINITELY work with cameras for the rest of my life.
To be honest with you I got in many fights with my parents because filmmaking isn't a steady job or an easy one to get into, but I personally feel I have what it takes and have a pretty damn creative mind. I never asked permission from them to start a youtube channel. Your parents are the type that wont let you have a youtube channel, even in high school ? I have to tell you one thing though, youtube isn't as easy as it looks. Of course i'm after the same thing as you, I want to be discovered on youtube for my talents. Being across the country from LA, it doesn't help you find jobs or internships. But like I was saying, youtube isn't easy, it's really hard to build a fan base and after almost 2 years, i have about 600 subscribers. But like they say, slow and steady. Once I start getting more and more, i'll have fans who tell friends who tell friends, and it'll explode from there.

Honestly just go for it. Personally I don't write many scripts out, I just improv most of my stuff, but hey if you want to write scripts it'll definitely increase your production value. About your friends, you honestly just have to ask if they want to make a movie lol. Most people wont actually say no...unless they're high school partiers who just want to get effed up at any chance they get, but your friends should be cool with it. Most of them probably watch youtube and would like to try it out.

As a parent of teenagers I get why your parents are IFFY about youtube. They wory, that you will post something really stupid, like your girlfriend with out her top or that youll give some predator everything he needs to find you late at night, alone. or ID thief.. or some variation.. the root is a desire to see you safe. So what do you do to let them protect you? You give them the tools to protect you. Let them set up the user name, password, privacy level etc of the account. So that they can always know whats going on. Likely the will monitor you pretty closely at first, but once the trust grows they will slacken, but don't blow it and sneakily change the password, that will result in intimidate computer shut down!

But really, you dont need youtube to make a movie do you? So make some movies, THEN ask them to let you post them on youtube...

1) Grab some pellets from your local pawn shop.
2) Get your rifle out and load your barrel.
3) Go out to a semi-arid marsh with HIGH humidity.
4) Wait.
5) Keep a steady eye, waiting until your definite you'll get 'em!
6) Take your deer, skin 'em, take the meat for later.
7) Put the skin in the press, heat to 1250 degrees until you see smoke.
8) Turn the press to cool mode and wait 30min to put it in the calibrator.
9) When in the calibrator, put deer meat in frying skillet with a tad of olive oil.
10) Cook until tan. Put "Grandpa's Nephew's Daughter's Friend's Mom's CREOLE(TM)" on top of both sides of meat.
11) Saute until dark brown.
12) Go back to your calibrator and take the skin out.
13) Put your pajamas on, sit on the couch with your new deer blanket, and eat a nice Deer Creole. :woohoo:

That is how you have an amazing night for only 1 buck!

....... Wait a minute.......
This isn't Deersrus.com is it? :no:
...................................Dang it!..................... Now I have to type this all over again :grumpy:............................

Last edited:
dive in and start shootin'.
Skip film. It'll fade away. Hop into the latest video and learn everything you can.
RED Scarlet is worth checking into. Even if you can buy one yet, you'll be able to rent em easy enough soon.

Well, your starting position (a camera, tripod and editing software) is a good one (a lot better than mine in '99: I just had crazy ideas, a friend with a pc and a webcam and some friends that helped.... we made a miniature film with lego about a moonlading with a resolution of 200/12p in black@white), so use it!
Just ask your friends to help you.
Maybe it's a good idea to start with 'simple things' to practise filming and editing like a chase scene on skateboards. (Just beware: don't do anything stupid or dangerous!)
Use things that are available. This way you don't have to worry about recruiting 10000 orcs for your first short ;)

And again: ask your friends.

Back