Tap Water is Cancerous

sfoster

Staff Member
In case anyone here hasn't heard of PFAS/PFOS/PFOA it's in at LEAST 45% of the tap water in america.

PFAS exposure is linked to cancer, auto-immune disease, high cholesterol, liver damager, hormone problems, etc

I'm sure its a problem in other countries too but I dont have time to research the entire planet.

CLICK THE LINK BELOW -- THIS FILTER WILL MAKE YOUR WATER SAFE (Standard Brita/fridge filter wont remove pfas)

Those filters have to be changed every 120 gallons (approx 6 months) or you can spend a little more upfront and get a berkley system that is good for 6000 gallons per filter

Stay safe everyone!!

Man the world has changed so much in my lifetime... I sound like a damn crazy person, shouting about chemicals in the water and aliens in the sky.

What the hell is happening

Simpsons Apocalypse GIF

Last edited:
It's actually the INFORMATION that these chemicals are in our water, rather than their presence, that has changed. They've existed since the 1930's and have been widely used in consumer products since the 40's.

We use a Brita filter - it's simple and not very expensive. I change it every 60 days (we drink a lot of water!) and label the pitcher with the date every time I change it. It also ensures that we always have cold water, which I'm much more likely to drink than room temperature stuff :)

https://www.ewg.org/what-are-pfas-chemicals

It's actually the INFORMATION that these chemicals are in our water, rather than their presence, that has changed. They've existed since the 1930's and have been widely used in consumer products since the 40's.

We use a Brita filter - it's simple and not very expensive. I change it every 60 days (we drink a lot of water!) and label the pitcher with the date every time I change it. It also ensures that we always have cold water, which I'm much more likely to drink than room temperature stuff :)

https://www.ewg.org/what-are-pfas-chemicals
Brita filters DO NOT removes PFAS.
Brita reduce common contaminants such as chlorine, copper, mercury, and zinc, which affect the taste and smell of water, but do NOT remove pfas.

I'd strongly recommend switching to a more expensive filter that is certifed to remove pfas.

Yes they have been around since the 1930s, but since they are forever chemicals, the concentration in the environment has been building up since the 1930s, and now its much more disturbing levels than ever. Especially with all the increase in production.

Back in the 1930s they weren't selling people "spill-proof" suits and khakis on facebook all over the world, etc.

It's a net win though. We've got little problems here and there like this, but the average life expectancy is at an all time high. It's all relative really, I think the water probably is mildly contaminated, and definitely worse in some places than others, but in general, people are living much longer.

I once saw a comic do a bit about horror movies. He said they weren't statistically realistic. He said, "maybe a dozen people a year get killed by sharks. What you need to do is make a horror movie about salt. Salt kills more people each year than all the things you think might kill you combined"

Anyway, I love salt, so I eat popcorn and watch movies about being scared of giant sharks.

It's a net win though. We've got little problems here and there like this, but the average life expectancy is at an all time high. It's all relative really, I think the water probably is mildly contaminated, and definitely worse in some places than others, but in general, people are living much longer.

I once saw a comic do a bit about horror movies. He said they weren't statistically realistic. He said, "maybe a dozen people a year get killed by sharks. What you need to do is make a horror movie about salt. Salt kills more people each year than all the things you think might kill you combined"

Anyway, I love salt, so I eat popcorn and watch movies about being scared of giant sharks.
That's really not the point of anything I was saying, I mean sure we could talk about how the life expectancy is actually decreasing, and for the first time in our history children are living shorter lives than their parents, i'ts really not a good trajectory, and that's a thing we could talk about, sure.

However my point was that, many people from this board are probably drinking water that causes a a ton of problems, not just killing you, but decreasing the QUALITY of your life, and that I'd like to influence them to STOP and buy a filter!! Human body is like 2/3 water, you really want that water to be non-cancerous. It's getting to the point where like 1 in 2 people are going to have cancer cause of how polluted our planet is, I really would prefer to tilt the odds in my favor, and it would be nice if i could help anyone here avoid cancer too.

Even if you get cancer and live through it due to our medical advancements, I'd like for you guys to avoid it altogether :)

Last edited:
That's really not the point of anything I was saying, I mean sure we could talk about how the life expectancy is actually decreasing, and for the first time in our history children are living shorter lives than their parents, i'ts really not a good trajectory, and that's a thing we could talk about, sure.

However my point was that, many people from this board are probably drinking water that causes a a ton of problems, not just killing you, but decreasing the QUALITY of your life, and that I'd like to influence them to STOP and buy a filter!! Human body is like 2/3 water, you really want that water to be non-cancerous. It's getting to the point where like 1 in 2 people are going to have cancer cause of how polluted our planet is, I really would prefer to tilt the odds in my favor, and it would be nice if i could help anyone here avoid cancer too.
You will then be pleased to hear that I have never drank tap water, because I think it tastes horrible. It annoys a lot of people who try to give me tap water.

I'm pretty sure the tap water in my area is contaminated. There is an asylum industry one town over, with multiple mental health lockdown units, with so much demand that they toss clearly insane people out on the street to make room for even more insane people. Basically, back in the 1970's, the town got interested in economic growth at any cost, waved in a dozen chemical factories, and took it easy on the regulations. by 1985, the smell of chemicals in the air was so severe that it crashed property values in a 20 mile radius of the city. They started driving the factories out, and finally got rid of them, and by 2010 the smell was gone, but the city's mental health problems per household was at an abnormal high.

So I don't doubt that there are chemicals in the water, but outside of expensive specialty filters that most people won't be willing to buy, I think it's something that has to be solved on a larger scale, basically on the government regulation level.

Last edited:
You will then be pleased to hear that I have never drank tap water, because I think it tastes horrible. It annoys a lot of people who try to give me tap water.

If water filters don't get rid of the chemicals you're concerned about, then what is the proposed solution? They put out an air quality alert earlier this year because of the forest fires in Canada. I didn't know exactly what I was supposed to do with that information. Switch to an alternate air source?

Woah there - both filters linked in my OP remove the PFAS and make water safe, those link recommendations were the main point, to help keep you guys safe!

I advised Mara that Brita filters don't get rid of the chemicals, they're cheap, like $4 each, and the PFAS filters cost about $40/each but if you have cancer then everything financial starts to feel pretty damn irrelevant, they're worth the investment.

Repost the water pitcher from before

And the lab tests reverifying the PFAS reduction levels

Regarding the air quality alerts earlier this year... I bought an indoor air purifier lol, took my indoor quality from good to great.

What water have you been drinking if not tap? A lot of bottle water is contaminated too, if its not been through reverse osmosis or from an ancient resoviour like fiji.

Last edited:
Woah there - both filters linked in my OP remove the PFAS and make water safe, those link recommendations were the main point, to help keep you guys safe!

I advised Mara that Brita filters don't get rid of the chemicals, they're cheap, like $4 each, and the PFAS filters cost about $40/each but if you have cancer then everything financial starts to feel pretty damn irrelevant, they're worth the investment.

Repost the water pitcher from before

And the lab tests reverifying the PFAS reduction levels

Regarding the air quality alerts earlier this year... I bought an indoor air purifier lol, took my indoor quality from good to great.

What water have you been drinking if not tap? A lot of bottle water is contaminated too, if its not been through reverse osmosis or from an ancient resoviour like fiji.
Yeah, I missed the filter thing earlier, and then modded my post after reading it.

What is the researched correlation between PFAS and cancer? I ask because I've been through this with like a dozen things, and most end up similarly.

1. Someone says that a dangerous thing is causing cancer or similar, such as GMOs.
2. They panic and start vehemently spreading the word that x is unsafe
3. I listen to them and research the topic.
4. I find out that X does cause cancer.
5. I look deeper than the facebook people look.
6. I find out that a study where they gave a rat 75,000 times the normal dose of X in an hour gave the rat cancer.
7. I find out that giving a rat 75,000 times the normal dose of almost anything will cause major health problems.
8. I go check how much of X is in whatever I'm buying that I was warned about.
9. I find out that I'd have to drink the atlantic ocean to actually get poisoned by x.

It may be that this issue you're reading about is real. It may be the 20th time in a row I've gone through the above cycle. I'll read up on it though. Keep in mind that alarmist studies and research papers get more attention and funding than normal research papers. It might be true, it might not. Just saying, there's been a LOT of research done that was later debunked as basically hyperbolic. Usually something that's true, but not to the degree that the telephone game makes it out to be. Do GMOs actually cause cancer? 100's of studies by groups interested in proving that it does have said so. Everyone else in the scientific community says that it's too early to tell, and in general it looks like having good nutrition available to more people is making things better, not worse. If I had to guess, I'd say that a real study both identified your chemical as cancerous, and another real study found it in half the tap water. Then it got out on social media and the severity was grossly exaggerated. That's typical. Anyway, I'll look into it and see what the numbers actually are.

I can't remember where I saw this earlier this year, but some social media group had gone crazy attacking one of the soda companies, because they had found some chemical in the soda that kills people. The chemical was there, and it did kill people. Real scientists looked into it and did the math. Sure enough, if you drank too much of this soda, it would kill you. You would however, need to drink something like 8 million cans of the soda before that chemical killed you. Then they compared the toxicity of the sugar in the drink. Mortality rates from x amount sugar adjustment. It turned out that the sugar intake would kill you more that 1000 times as fast as the chemical they had isolated. Thus my skepticism. People think with words. This has a cancer in it, so bad. Everything has a cancer in it, every person is evil, we're all insane, and the truth is, what's good or bad is more a percentage thing. The sanest person I've ever met is probably 70% sane. The best person I've ever met is probably 10% evil. Point being, these days, I do the math before I take anything from the internet at face value. Since people I talk to IRL get all their information from the internet, I pretty much have to validate every piece of incoming information.

Last edited:
Yeah, I missed the filter thing earlier, and then modded my post after reading it.

What is the researched correlation between PFAS and cancer? I ask because I've been through this with like a dozen things, and most end up similarly.

1. Someone says that a dangerous thing is causing cancer or similar, such as GMOs.
2. They panic and start vehemently spreading the word that x is unsafe
3. I listen to them and research the topic.
4. I find out that X does cause cancer.
5. I look deeper than the facebook people look.
6. I find out that a study where they gave a rat 75,000 times the normal dose of X in an hour gave the rat cancer.
7. I find out that giving a rat 75,000 times the normal dose of almost anything will cause major health problems.
8. I go check how much of X is in whatever I'm buying that I was warned about.
9. I find out that I'd have to drink the atlantic ocean to actually get poisoned by x.

It may be that this issue you're reading about is real. It may be the 20th time in a row I've gone through the above cycle. I'll read up on it though. Keep in mind that alarmist studies and research papers get more attention and funding than normal research papers. It might be true, it might not. Just saying, there's been a LOT of research done that was later debunked as basically hyperbolic. Usually something that's true, but not to the degree that the telephone game makes it out to be. Do GMOs actually cause cancer? 100's of studies by groups interested in proving that it does have said so. Everyone else in the scientific community says that it's too early to tell, and in general it looks like having good nutrition available to more people is making things better, not worse. If I had to guess, I'd say that a real study both identified your chemical as cancerous, and another real study found it in half the tap water. Then it got out on social media and the severity was grossly exaggerated. That's typical. Anyway, I'll look into it and see what the numbers actually are.

I can't remember where I saw this earlier this year, but some social media group had gone crazy attacking one of the soda companies, because they had found some chemical in the soda that kills people. The chemical was there, and it did kill people. Real scientists looked into it and did the math. Sure enough, if you drank too much of this soda, it would kill you. You would however, need to drink something like 8 million cans of the soda before that chemical killed you. Then they compared the toxicity of the sugar in the drink. Mortality rates from x amount sugar adjustment. It turned out that the sugar intake would kill you more that 1000 times as fast as the chemical they had isolated. Thus my skepticism. People think with words. This has a cancer in it, so bad. Everything has a cancer in it, every person is evil, we're all insane, and the truth is, what's good or bad is more a percentage thing. The sanest person I've ever met is probably 70% sane. The best person I've ever met is probably 10% evil. Point being, these days, I do the math before I take anything from the internet at face value. Since people I talk to IRL get all their information from the internet, I pretty much have to validate every piece of incoming information.
We are smack dab in the middle of the misinformation age.
I get it. Whom do you trust in times like these?

I trust my gut and I've never been scared of GMO but PFAS scare the hell out of me.
I am 2/3 water and I don't want 2/3 of my body to be contaminated with man made chemicals that provide ZERO benefit and a wide array of HEALTH RISK

Furthermore, they are Forever Chemicals, which means that every year you are pushing yourself further and further into toxic levels until one day...

weighing in on water, and thanks, sfoster, for sending me down this demoralizing rabbit hole. :) :bang:

(and, parenthetically, I didn't mean to make light of the UFOs (or whatever the acronym is now--I can't remember and too anergic, at the moment, to look back). My default is to make light of most things, and your story was fun and well-told, and your interest and concern, I think, valid.)

((and, parenthetical to the parenthetical: is it possible you saw one of these?

))

anyway, water. My primary gut thought, upon learning about these PFAS this morning and reading around, was to take this thing seriously and make some effort to mitigate exposure personally,

Also, Nate is right, I think, in that the only viable response is government intervention, and so my other primary thought was political. There is this knee-jerk response, from most of the right, to denigrate government, to deplore regulation as in and of itself bad. It is a strategy that has worked for them, beginning culturally with Limbaugh, and politically with Regan, to the real detriment of all of us. Ah god, I have a whole rant here where I 'splain everything, but a bottom line, today, is this: support your EPA. They seem to be on the case.

Last edited:

anyway, water. My primary gut thought, upon learning about these PFAS this morning and reading around, was to take this thing seriously and make some effort to mitigate exposure personally,

Also, Nate is right, I think, in that the only viable response is government intervention, and so my other primary thought was political. There is this knee-jerk response, from most of the right, to denigrate government, to deplore regulation as in and of itself bad. It is a strategy that has worked for them, beginning culturally with Limbaugh, and politically with Regan, to the real detriment of all of us. Ah god, I have a whole rant here where I 'splain everything, but a bottom line, today, is this: support your EPA. They seem to be on the case.

The flight pattern completely different, so no, not that.
UAP moved in a straight line across the sky, about the height of a high soaring eagle, straight line, and flipped multi-axis.

This video you posted rotates and moves like a boomerang, which is a familiar, recognizable flight pattern that is explainable.
re: water - EPA is sorta on the case for this but government moves very very slowly.

I'm glad to hear youre gonna switch to some properly filtered water

Last edited:
I get it. Whom do you trust in times like these?
I think, trust, or at least recognize, understand, and appreciate, the guys (including of course gals) in the white lab coats, the guys they love to ridicule, the guys who do real peer-reviewed science, the guys who collect, hypothesize about, and test the data. This seems too obvious to bother to say, but, I think, (unfortunately) needs saying nonetheless.

Last edited:
I think, trust, or at least recognize, understand, and appreciate, the guys (including of course gals) in the white lab coats, the guys they love to ridicule, the guys who do real peer-reviewed science, the guys who collect, hypothesize about, and test the data. This seems too obvious to bother to say, but, I think, (unfortunately) needs saying nonetheless.
Unfortunately pretty much everyone is for sale - even the guys in white lab coats - therefore a lot of times the 'science' says what the money wants it to say. And then like TWENTY years later we'll hear about how a study was flawed when they finally peer reviewed it. It's tough being in the misinformation age.

Unfortunately pretty much everyone is for sale - even the guys in white lab coats - therefore a lot of times the 'science' says what the money wants it to say. And then like TWENTY years later we'll hear about how a study was flawed when they finally peer reviewed it. It's tough being in the misinformation age.
Yup. There is always and eternally that. But, I think, vigilance! The truth is out there, and the criteria for approaching it are well-known, rock-solid, and ultimately self-correcting. (Thus spake sententious Spike, lol.)

Last edited:
My family drinks a hell of a lot of water... More than most and I went down this rabbit hole myself a few years ago. I won't get into the discussion of cancer and all that but I do find some relief knowing that we're filtering out as much as possible. In fact, there are quite a bit PFAS in a lot of our food too.

Culligan makes a faucet mounted filter that reduces PFAS by 98.9% and apparently, ZeroWater licenses it as well and slaps their name on it. I've found this filter to be a little more convenient as well as cost effective in case anyone is concerned with that:

EXTREMELIFE FAUCET MOUNT WATER FILTER SYSTEM
ZeroWater Faucet Mount

CFM-300WH Faucet Mount Filtration System - White

ZeroWater PERFORMANCE DATA SHEET

Last edited:
My family drinks a hell of a lot of water... More than most and I went down this rabbit hole myself a few years ago. I won't get into the discussion of cancer and all that but I do find some relief knowing that we're filtering out as much as possible. In fact, there are quite a bit PFAS in a lot of our food too.

Culligan makes a faucet mounted filter that reduces PFAS by 94.9% and apparently, ZeroWater licenses it as well and slaps their name on it. I've found this filter to be a little more convenient as well as cost effective in case anyone is concerned with that:

EXTREMELIFE FAUCET MOUNT WATER FILTER SYSTEM
ZeroWater Faucet Mount

CFM-300WH Faucet Mount Filtration System - White

ZeroWater PERFORMANCE DATA SHEET
Pretty nice shelf life, 400 gallons!

Unfortunately there is PFAS in our food too, as you said.
'healthy' stuff like leafy greens apparently absorb a ton of it but at least we can for sure clean up our water.

if I were rich I would build a green house and hire a gardener things are so crazy with our food

Last edited:
Back