Taking off for 2 months, should I go back to L.A or head to NYC?

Long story short I moved into a home where the land lady is a bit nuts. She decided to evict me out of no where. I didn't have time to find to a place and I have been very broke for several months now. So I decided to take a break and head back to my home state for two months. I hadn't been back in two years so now feels right.

I am planning on taking the Lee Strasberg 12 week course in April. Question is, L.A or New York?

My directorial feature film debut is set in New York. But I am not filming until late November/December. So I do not really have to live there. My home state is only five hours away from the city so I could just go there one day and location scout.

But the reasons that I considering New York are as follows...
I've yet to make a real friendship out here
I've networked. But it's only resulted in facebook "friends."
I've only been on ten auditions through my agent. I've been on more through my self. But mostly short films (which I stopped auditioning for) and lame theatre companies. I had a commercial agent as well. But they promptly dropped me by email. They weren't even getting me any auditions.
I do not have a car. While the bus is not that bad out here. It is an inconvenience.
A lot of people seem fake out here.
I like traveling.
I think New York City is very interesting.
I am interested in auditioning for some good plays.

But what draws me back to L.A is that...
I do have an agent here.
I was starting to feel like I was getting more into the industry by at least meeting more people.
I like the Californian vibe .
I am scared that I will just start from the bottom again.
I have business associates out here.

What do you all suggest? I have a few ways that I could go about this. Go 4 hour work week style and take a working vacation in New York from April to the end of shooting. In New York I would study at Strasberg, auditions for plays, seek a better agent, and audition for t.v and movies as they come. Or I could come back to L.A, still study at Strasberg, keep on churning, find a better agent, and just go to New York for the shoot.

I am interested in trying to new things and new risk. But I do not want to start from ground zero. But it isn't like I am signed to a great agent either and have made the greatest connections. Ultimately film work as an actor, writer, and director is my thing though.

Thoughts? Has anyone here lived on both coasts?

Last edited:
NY advantage: don't need a car.

NY disadvantages: very expensive & as sfoster said, very cold right now.

Honestly, I don't think there's any single right answer. Go with our gut as to what you'd most like to do right now.

If you haven't been able to put down roots in LA, then LA may not be for you. I've known lots of people who have come to North America from all over the world, and, because they don't feel at home, they return to their home. But, if you stay in LA for a longer period of time, you may be able to do so.

This is such a personal decision that others can only give possibilities, not suggestions.

Well I am going to my home state of MD today which is only about five hours away from the big apple so I am going to be in similar weather. But I do not plan to go back to L.A or NYC until April anyway.

I do have an agent in L.A and business associates (my producer, my DP m, my composer and one of my actresses are out here) so I do have some "roots". Hence my indecisiveness.

I am looking for people who have lived on both coasts to reply. Which one do you prefer? And why?

Back