• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

t2i- Focusing, action, and budget rig?

Heya all,
I'm transitioning from an Xacati 1010HD to the Canon T2i for shooting a low budget music video.

The first thing I am concerned with, I understand I will be manually focusing the t2i. I also plan on filming action, mud bogging, wake boarding etc... I need a budget rig that will let me mount a monitor and also let me focus quickly.

I'm nervous about learning to manually focus, as this will be important footage.. I plan on getting as much practice in as possible, but any tips or tricks would be huge help.

thanks
R

Heya all,
I'm transitioning from an Xacati 1010HD to the Canon T2i for shooting a low budget music video.

The first thing I am concerned with, I understand I will be manually focusing the t2i. I also plan on filming action, mud bogging, wake boarding etc... I need a budget rig that will let me mount a monitor and also let me focus quickly.

I'm nervous about learning to manually focus, as this will be important footage.. I plan on getting as much practice in as possible, but any tips or tricks would be huge help.

thanks
R

;) A budget DSLR rig is an oxymoron, but rigs themselves can be used down the road if you change/update cameras. They are all grossly overpriced.

Rigs and parts from Jag35 and CPM are the most budget worthy, but none of this stuff will ever be considered cheap. A follow focus helps, but is not a magic solution. You're right about practice, though. I find that using the same prime lens and you being the zoom (physically moving closer/further from the subject) is the fastest way to learn to focus intuitively. Maybe that's just me, though.

Thanks Phil, the more I read, the more I conclude I have underestimated what it took to film with DSLR. ... hah, I really thought I could clip on my rode, maybe buy a grip and go to town..

I really did not plan on spending 900+ on a rig and external monitor hahaha.. which I am sure is an amount easily underestimated. I've seen some all in one rigs, on ebay for 500'ish. Does anyone have experience with those rigs? I'm wary to go DIY, I can do it.. but I find in the end I always spend the same.. and eventually replace the DIY with real gear..

Regarding the monitor, I was thinking if it's not that cheap $28 one, it's probably outside my budet.. So rather than go monitor, I was thinking of going with the t3i that has the angled monitor instead of the t2i.

... also, since I never focused video, how much knob work should I expect?

Heh, I guess my real question is, Can I get a follow focus and a stabilizing rig that lets me hold the camera at my chest (I'm tall) for 500-700 range..

;) A budget DSLR rig is an oxymoron, but rigs themselves can be used down the road if you change/update cameras. They are all grossly overpriced.

Rigs and parts from Jag35 and CPM are the most budget worthy, but none of this stuff will ever be considered cheap. A follow focus helps, but is not a magic solution. You're right about practice, though. I find that using the same prime lens and you being the zoom (physically moving closer/further from the subject) is the fastest way to learn to focus intuitively. Maybe that's just me, though.

Thanks for the post CV.. thats exactly what I was getting wary about.. If I start fiddling with zoom, and focusing, I'm sure to be on the road to sadness fairly quickly. I am going to start watching for deals on prime canon lenses.

I think.. I am best off going with 'less but better' equipment to start with.. I am so tired of replacing gear and realizing I should have just bought the right one in the first place.

... I'm buried in equipment bookmarks, so your tips on quality, but budget worthy gear is very welcome. I need to thin out the bad stuff.

Hahha, nice..
Well, it seems decent enough in principle.. and it would free me up to have a tad better rig budget.

I am starting to like the CPM film tools rig, but I am having trouble deciding... I'm tall, so if I keep the camera at eye level, it's often too high for my subject, so I was thinking I would go with a cage kit.. I don't see if the cage kit's bottom plate can be mounted to my tripod though, does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks again.

Hahha, nice..
Well, it seems decent enough in principle.. and it would free me up to have a tad better rig budget.

I am starting to like the CPM film tools rig, but I am having trouble deciding... I'm tall, so if I keep the camera at eye level, it's often too high for my subject, so I was thinking I would go with a cage kit.. I don't see if the cage kit's bottom plate can be mounted to my tripod though, does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks again.

Rob, check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPIu3YHLLvo&playnext=1&list=PL59E53D852E8EFF10

It looks like there is a tripod plate you'll need to purchase. Scratch that - it comes with one.

Last edited:
Rob, check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPIu3YHLLvo&playnext=1&list=PL59E53D852E8EFF10

It looks like there is a tripod plate you'll need to purchase. Scratch that - it comes with one.

Daaamn! that looks pretty perfect..

Haha, and I was just starting to check out the jag35 field runner. The sidewinder looks pretty damn killer, because I dont see how the field runner would connect to a tripod. The only rub for the sidewinder is his comment on the flex built into the plate with the cork on it.

Thanks again for your help CV, I loved that video.

I personally don't know any T2i users who use an external monitor. I'm still waiting to hear from anyone with experience with one. You have to remember that the T2i doesn't monitor in HD, so does external monitoring help or hinder the focusing process?

I personally don't know any T2i users who use an external monitor. I'm still waiting to hear from anyone with experience with one. You have to remember that the T2i doesn't monitor in HD, so does external monitoring help or hinder the focusing process?

I saw that too.. One of the blogs used this as an argument to suggest buying the cheap $28 dollar external monitor instead of the lilliput. Honestly, i think I will avoid an external monitor for now. Maybe, I will get the eyepiece thingy.. Hrm. I dunno.. and then the damn t3i has a swivel monitor, ahaha, is it worth bumping up just to get that? .. OMG, I'm going nuts..

Right now, I am prone to go with.

-Jag35 Field Runner, with an added Tripod plate
-T3i
-Rode mic
-LED vid light
-cheepy handle for focusing for now

As was noted in another thread, not so much for focus as it is to allow the director and/or script supervisor to see the framing, watch for boom shadows, etc... rather than having them over the operators shoulder trying to see in that tiny LCD. For my 5D I got the Zacuto 3X viewfinder for focus, and plan on adding a cheapie monitor like the lilliput for framing. Real monitors like the Marshall 7" HD rent pretty cheap these days. I think about $30 a day the last time I rented one.

As I've been adding it up, I'm probably looking at $2000 minimum to get this thing fully outfitted for a feature shoot (not counting lenses).

Last edited:
A quick note,

I did pull the trigger on a new T3i, and Jag Field Runner, with a tripod plate. I was very torn with CPM products. I really liked the CPM cubed shoulder cage... but I found myself trying to balance a fixed budget between the t2 with CPM, or a t3 with the jag35. I just could not turn down the t3.

R

I Have T2i and I will focus using the magnifying function then I have a 28" monitor to check footage on.. worxx 4 me.. I do need to get a 7 - 9" field monitor to use when Im on tripod though. I have a shoulder rig and rarely use it cuz I do not have a follow focus. I guess the $2.50 setup is on my purchase list. My current methods do limit some of my work, but Im not too worried, just use what I have and strive to use it well is my thinking. I will use mobile methods when I can use smaller aperture settings and have a deeper DOF to minimize focus issues. I will focus at 5' from the subject and stay that way for the shot.

Last edited:
Wow, you never know who reads these threads.

Just for the record, the YouTube link I provided was from a reviewer and the relationship was explained and I have no connection with CPM Filmtools, however I would be happy to try out their products. :D

Wow, you never know who reads these threads.

Just for the record, the YouTube link I provided was from a reviewer and the relationship was explained and I have no connection with CPM Filmtools, however I would be happy to try out their products. :D

Hahah, it was cool Steve dropped by for sure. I have to give them credit, they have the best site (to me and my skill level) of all the rigs I've seen sofar.. The videos helped me a lot when it came to what I need on a rig.

Back