Surviving Family on Amazon Prime!

Does Amazon pay you a one time fee or are you paid every time someone watches a certain amount of your film? In the Amazon/ Kindle publishing side, they pay per download on the KDP select.

I like the pay per view business model more than one fixed payment of Netflix. Have you received any offers from Netflix? For the indie filmmaker, Netflix doesn't make a lot of sense unless you have enough leverage to get a significant payment from them.

Thanks! Hope some of you will watch, and maybe even rate/review on the site after you do :)

It's got a terrific cast that's been doing very well: Billy Magnussen (our lead actor) was in Into The Woods, is shooting the Kato Kaelin role (very memorable to those of us of a certain age!) in the upcoming FX series American Crime Story - OJ Simpson, and is in Steven Spielberg's upcoming Bridge of Spies. And the terrific young actress Katherine C. Hughes has a strong supporting role in Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, which was a big winner at Sundance and is out in theaters next month.

One of our actors - Katherine C. Hughes - is in the upcoming movie Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. Surviving Family was one of her first movies - she plays a teenager with bi-polar disorder - so it's great to watch her success since then.

The GF and I watched Surviving Family last night.
My prime expires soon so I wanted to take advantage while I still can!

Overall the production value was good.
The lead actress was great, and her hair stylist did a fantastic job.

One thing that struck me as interesting - the most moving scene of the whole film ("you don't understand me anymore") was by an actress with the smallest role in the film. While I enjoyed watching the lead she never moved me like that. Interesting. Really great scene there that the mom did!!

I'm usually hypercritical about everything so I guess I'll say my two criticisms and keep it honest.

1 It seemed bizarre to have someone die outside in the back yard and have an EMT crew carry the body through the house to their ambulance. I'd think they would carry the body around the outside of the house instead of going inside it.

2 There was an extra at the bar badly in need of a coaster. Every time he took a drink he spent like 4 seconds (literally) putting the glass back down as gently and lightly as humanly possible. It was funny to watch. Basically he was trying really hard not to make any noise and mess up the dialogue. If he had a foamy coaster he could have set the glass down normally.

The movies been out for a while so I can only imagine that you've heard these two remarks before.

I liked the dad and the gnomes.
The ending was well done. I liked the story.

Great job :)

Thanks Sfoster! I appreciate you taking the time to watch AND to give feedback. If you haven't already done so, I'd greatly appreciate it if you leave a rating & brief comment/review on the Amazon Prime page, as that is essentially our advertising. :)

Re the Lucia "you don't understand me" - I'm very glad that you liked that. The 2 actors in it are married in real life too, and the director did a wonderful job. She talked with the two of them about what needed to be conveyed, and set some general parameters, and then set them loose to do it. They're both amazing.

Re your points - honestly, no one has mentioned either of them and I LOVE getting new/different feedback.

1. EMT - I actually wanted to have her hang herself in the house, just in a different room from the opening scene. We lost our original location that would have allowed that to happen, and had a tiny amount of time to get a new place. That forced us to hang her outside. Shooting the rest of it inside was simply easier to controll the environment and sound. I did want to take her through the house for the emotional connection - but yeah, would have been much better if she had died inside.

2. Ahhhhh the bar scene....there was an actor who you don't see who was an insane pain in the ass. She took up an enormous amount of time with crap, and forced us (at the end of the day) to cut out the planned shoot of a scene with the guy at the bar. There was dialogue between him, the bartender, and a server who is cut out completely. But because everything else (with him at the bar) had already been shot, he's still there. Minus his dialogue :(
That actor (guy at the bar) is a super nice actor/writer/director who DID manage to retain his lines in the final cut of my new feature "Detours."

I'm VERY glad you liked the story, and especially that you liked the ending.

Last edited:
It's funny no one else noticed that guy with the glass. It must be because I know about sound and dialogue recording that it stood out to me, otherwise it wouldn't have any meaning.

In the directors commentary of We Own the Night, James Gray said that he had to cut his own dad out of the feature. Sucks but it happens all the time.

BTW I left a good review just now.

Back