Surrealist Films with Psychological or Metafictional Components

Hey gang.

My dream project that I've been working on for literally years now in pre-production is coming to a point where I feel comfortable trying to put it all in script form. It's rather difficult to describe (and probably impossible to film), but at its heart it's sort of a meditation on uncertainty and belief interpreted through the lens of a man who may or may not be mentally ill who believes that he just might be a fictional character in a book.

What I'm looking for then are movies that convey a surreal atmosphere without going full on Un Chien Andalou. I've seen the more obvious American domestics like Inception, Identity, Memento, and most of Kubrick's work, as well as imports like The Machinist and a lot of del Toro's work, but I'm more interested in stuff like Luis Bunuel's later French period like The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and Alain Resnais' Last Year at Marienbad. These have all been helpful in generating a shape for my 'narrative' and giving me ideas about how to actually film the beast.

More specifically using Bourgeoisie:

I was absolutely floored by this movie. The use of dreams to express their fears and vanities and affectlessness was brilliant, and the varying quality of sets to emphasize the false veneer of both the bourgeois class and the film itself was a masterstroke. I particularly liked its plotlessness, as my project also aims to be effectively plotless.

Anything else that has strong psychological themes or metafictional devices are welcome, too.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm planning on watching some of Tarkovsky's work soon. Any recommendations on where to start?

Last edited:
The Trial ny Orson Welles and Inland Empire by D Lynch both come to mind
Oooh yeah, I totally forgot about Lynch. Somehow I've only seen Eraserhead (which I liked but is a bit much for what I'm going for), Twin Peaks, and Blue Velvet. Thanks for reminding me.

Speaking of Welles, have you guys seen F For Fake? Oh man, the editing in that movie is insane.

I love F for Fake more than Kane. I believe it is Welles's best work.

As for surreal films, a recent British miniseries on Sky called "Mad Dogs" had great surrealist elements in an easily digestible fashion. Lots of atmospheric setups...closeups of summer insects, the insane insect sounds that overpower the sonic landscape, etc. Check it out.

Also check out HBO's "John from Cincinatti."

Check out 81/2 by fellini. Also beetlegeuse, James n giant peach, night mare before christmas, I know its clay nation butd be awesome real or even cgid right.

Stay.

Perhaps it doesn't have the best storyline or direction in the world, but what it does it does extremely well. The movie (and especially the end) is without a doubt the best rendering of a dream that I've seen in a movie, period.

For Lynch, I would also add Lost Highway and, one of my personal faves, Mulholland Drive.

Also look into Clean Shaven by Kerrigan.

I'll second Stay, and add in thematically related film Jacob's Ladder. Both brilliant films, and definitely in line with what you're looking for. Lynch is fantastic and Inland Empire is one of my favorite films ever, but definitely watch Mullholland Drive first. It's great, and a little "easier". Inland Empire does come close to, as you say, full on Un Chien Andalou (though there is a narrative in the film, it's just sort of hard to understand).

I'd also recommend Jan Svankmajer, particularly Faust and Alice. And anything by Terry Gilliam!

I'll second Stay, and add in thematically related film Jacob's Ladder. Both brilliant films, and definitely in line with what you're looking for. Lynch is fantastic and Inland Empire is one of my favorite films ever, but definitely watch Mullholland Drive first. It's great, and a little "easier". Inland Empire does come close to, as you say, full on Un Chien Andalou (though there is a narrative in the film, it's just sort of hard to understand).

I'd also recommend Jan Svankmajer, particularly Faust and Alice. And anything by Terry Gilliam!
Oh, it's not that I have a problem with completely surrealistic movies, I rather enjoy them, it's just that I'm aiming at more of a subtle, surreal atmosphere. I want the surreality of it all to seep in slowly and stew for awhile rather than beating my audience over the head with it.

Terry Gilliam is one of my favorites. Dunno how I forgot about him. Lord, I was born a ramblin' man...

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

as an aside, Wombat, definitely keep us in the loop as things progress on this project. Sounds like something RIGHT up my alley!

as an aside, Wombat, definitely keep us in the loop as things progress on this project. Sounds like something RIGHT up my alley!
I hope you're patient. I've yet to do a feature and I'd rather cut my teeth on a less ambitious project, but thanks for the interest. I may take a stab at the script sometime this month and I'll make a thread for it on the Screenplay board when I have enough together.

Answer: The Ninth Gate by Polanski.
Hm, I haven't seen this since I was an adolescent and I don't remember too much about it. I'll give it q look, thanks.

Back