Surprise, surprise, I found a reason to write some Na'vi into my movie!

We're taking a day off from shooting today. I'm using it to refresh my energy and re-organize for the remainder of the shoot. Yesterday, we shot a scene in which two of the characters speak Na'vi to each other.

Nevermind the jarring difference in audio -- these lines are exchanged at different times in the scene. The first two lines are delivered when the car is parked, then some stuff happens, and by the time the last four lines are delivered, the car is moving.

Without context, this audio clip is of course meaningless to you, but if you're curious to hear what this beautiful language sounds like --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbnEbTSsQOk

Hehe. That's probably just because it's being delivered by some white Americans, and the only other language we know, besides English, is Spanish. I got these translations from a forum devoted to the Na'vi language, and I'm sure the people on that board are recoiling at how horribly we're mispronouncing their language.

They are in the process of translating Hamlet into Na'vi!

Of course they are. :lol:

Reminds me of Mass Effect where the radio in the elevator talks about a production of Hamlet using an alien race that communicates emotional content through subtle smells and body twitches (they vocalized speech is monotone and emotionless).

The description of "giving audiences a chance to judge hamlet on his actions rather than his emotions" is just classic.

I gotta say, in honesty, the Na'vi language nerds are very passionate about their interest, and I can appreciate that quality in somebody. They probably think we're weird for taking such a strong interest in mere entertainment. They're studying and creating a language at the most academic level.

I find it so hilarious, their responses to my post. I shared with them the same audio recording I shared with you. Their only comments have been in a brief debate as to whether or not my actors used proper Na'vi grammar. Now that's some dedication!

I'm actually impressed by what i've read here. I mean, it's sad when you think about it. But then you think about it some more, and it's not as sad as you first thought. It has its merits. As you said, the dedication is applaudable.

seems a bit like getting real good at Guitar Hero.. neat and all, but just think, if you put 2 hours in every night learning to play a REAL instrument, you'd be pretty dang good in a year and have that skill the rest of you life, to lift and inspire others..

But Mr. Funk is crazy, in a cooky cuddly way.. which is why we love him. :)

also, it occurs to me that the creators of Avatar are a lot more legally up on things then a 1960's TV show, my bet is Na'vi is copyright protected...

also, it occurs to me that the creators of Avatar are a lot more legally up on things then a 1960's TV show, my bet is Na'vi is copyright protected...

No way. You can't copywrite a language. All Jimmy C. can do is control whether or not (and in which manner) the inventor of the language, Paul Frommer, releases lessons on how to learn it. But they DEFINITELY want these nerds to learn the language. That is some hardcore free advertising, with retail $ thrown in, to boot.

Oh, and I love you too, wheat. Thanks!

Back