Summer Glau is in Knights of Badassdom

I don't know how or why I haven't seen Role Models, but I'll be fixing that this weekend :D Reading the description of it reminded me of Darkon (which is a documentary about LARPers), that I also quite enjoyed. I found myself surprisingly caught up in the story of the game. Lots of fun!

I'm not even a gamer and I've never LARPed (though if awkward-tween me knew about it I might have) but this looks fun. I liked Role Models. If this shows up on Netflix I'd definitely give it a try.

If you're willing to cough up 3.99, you can watch it on Amazon streaming now.

Seems like something that might show up on Netflix, though, if you're a little more patient. =)

So I watched it. Yes, it's low budget. But I thought it was fairly entertaining. And Summer Glau is perfectly lovely. You know, she was pretty much hired to be the love interest/eye candy. And she fits the bill there. You can't expect her to do much with a role like that. She did her job, on that job. Cool.

I think if you have a geek bone in your body, you're likely to find this at least a little charming. I did.

I liked it well enough. I'd put it on par with Unicorn City...fun, but not great. I think the delivery of the jokes was fantastic; I laughed out loud at almost every joke, but they were unfortunately few and far between. The same with the horror aspects...cool stuff, but not enough to be a solid horror film. Still, glad I saw it, glad I bought a copy because I'd love to encourage and support more films like this. Summer Glau was very under-utilized. But I get the feeling if the writers had ever talked to a girl (let alone a gamer girl) they might know how to write them better ;)

Didn't watch Role Models yet, but hopefully I'll get to that this weekend to compare and contrast!

Man that was a TV-actor extravaganza!

I thought it was pretty entertaining, but you have to accept the film for what it is. Which is a campy flick that seems almost made to be a cult classic.

I definitely can see why this didn't get any distribution, but I also can see why it's been pretty successful at getting local screenings through that Tugg site: the audience for this film is niche but they always want new content.

Loved her in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and Firefly/Serenity. She's an ex-dancer, and despite her small frame managed to pull off the action/fight scenes really well.

Will rent out Knights of Badassdom.

You can see this on demand. I saw it I believe on amazon and if definitely on my cable providers on demand (rent movies still in theaters section)

as an aside, I finally got around to watching Role Models. Definitely a better movie, quality-wise, but it wasn't really funny. KOB was funnier when it decided to be funny, but again, dropped the ball there.

I'd ask if anyone wants to make a good LARP comedy, but that's a pretty small appeal market to begin with.

Sure you bet. Seems like a lot of potential there. Although now, wouldn't it be difficult not to step on KOB's toes, imperfect as it is? ;) And do you think you can get Summer Glau? :P

By the way, I keep noticing The Guild on Netlfix. Not quit the same subject, being about video-game addicts, not LARPers, I guess. Anybody watched that? Do you recommend it?

HIGHLY recommend the Guild. Little klunky in the first season, but picks up quite well very quickly. And related, non-netflix (but youtube), JourneyQuest (by the people who did The Gamers) is fantastic. They're probably my two favorite webseries.

Back