• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Summary vs. detail

Hey everyone,

I got this little dillema regarding my script..

Seems, lately, Im not getting that same vibe I got in the beginning of my story when it was all summarized and not detailed, but now since I delved deeper into writing (writing scene by scene), I sort of, kinda, "forgot" where I am (lol) if that makes any sense? In the beginning I could imagine the whole story because it wasnt so much in details like it is now and its a bit frustrating. I cant get the "feel" for the character cause of this problem. I need a fix.

Maybe I should re-read the whole summary of my story several times and imagine it over and over again?

What do you guys think? :huh:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Maybe you could check out my blog. (I'm shameless) I like to use what's calle da step outline. It helps keep me focus. Then when I do the actual writing,I can stay on track.

Murdock has the right idea; I do the same thing.

If you create a really tight "roadmap" for your script, then writing it goes fairly quickly. I build outlines that list what happens on almost every page.

Now, that said, for my current script I'm writing it is somewhat more freeform fashion, but that's because I've been thinking about it for a year and feel familiar enough with the story and its path. This approach is not without problems; you need to know how to get out of the corners you paint yourself into.

Reason number one for a lagging story and an unclear character is lack of imperative character goals. If your character isn't vigorously pursuing his/her goal, then your story will stagnate, your through-line will feel weak, and characters will sit around having conversations instead of getting out and doing what needs to be done. Look at this first.

Second biggest problem leading to story flaccidity: What's at stake? What will happen if your protagonist doesn't get what they're after. Stakes increase drama and tension; without them, or with stakes that are ill-defined (or that are clarified too late in the story), you lose your juice, and your reason for your audience to care.

I tend to stick to a free form fashion for the first draft, and then use that as my road map for what I hope will be a much tighter, more concise and interesting second/third/etc draft. That's just the system I've worked out for myself. I think Murdock has the right idea for you though.

Have you considered writing "Character bios" for each of your characters?

When you're in the writing process, writing the "skeleton" of your story, things change. Almost always. Don't be too rigid. You don't know your characters yet. They'll develop as you're writing, and you'll discover more about how they would act/react.

That's why re-reading is important. Writing is re-writing.

I'm a huge admirer of depth in story. Depth in detail. Every character has to be within the story for a reason, however small their role.

Give your characters some depth. Try the bios, and see how they work out for you.

you've gotten a lot of good advice here, For simple stories I can usually write without an outline. But once I get to more than 5 or so semi-major characters I need to put some sort of outline together or I get lost as well.

Papertwin has a point about characters and bios, because they can help. But small characters don't need bios, they need goals, which will create behaviors.

I like to give small characters one piece of behavior, which is linked to a simple goal, that stands out and makes them memorable. This doesn't require a bio, but some simple creativity. (The more comedic you want this person to be, the more you can exaggerate this behavior.)

I point out behavior for a reason, because actors can play goals to create behavior. Making your character stand out by how they dress is not a bad idea, but on its own isn't enough; an actor can't play, for example, wearing an eyepatch. But as soon as you create a goal-motivated behavior -- angry because customers force him to get up and work, OCD and trying to keep the space around her clean, really subservient and trying to please everybody to their own detriment, clumsy but wanting to impress with their efficiency -- you give the performer a way to create a character. For drama, these traits would be more realistic and low-key sullen, suspicious, shy, artificial, etc., but also linked to simple goals.

Furthermore, characters need to create conflict. So give small characters, as Papertwin says, a reason to be there, by turning their behavior into another obstacle for the main character. This brings them to live and prevents them from being merely background mannequins.

If you need some interaction with a bank teller or a waiter or a mailman, and if the scene doesn't require them to be distinctive, then they don't always need it. But it's a fun option and can bring a scene to life.

If you are using CeltX for writing the screenplay take advantage of its advanced features.

1. Character Bio Sheets
Take time to fill them out a bit for your characters. You can even add some photos of actors that give you a sense of the character. You wouldn't submit them as recommendations. It's just an aid.

2. Notecards
Use the notecards to write down scene ideas.

3. Storyboard
I will often paste in a scene or picture and then add some notes to help visualize the flow.

4. The Reports
It quickly allows you to see what actors are in a scene and in what scenes a given actor appears.
This is a good way to track the appearance of characters.

If you're not using CeltX, then it helps to have index cards for your scenes. I also keep character sheets. I find it helps to keep a summary sheet next to the computer to track who has done what, when. This has links to scenes. You can also do this on the computer. The more complex the plot, more characters, and the more interwoven the storylines, the more important/helpful it is for me to have some visual tools to reference as I write. Especially with episodic scripts.

Last edited:
I have no idea what you're talking about, and I'm not sure you do either. You seem a little confused. For starters, is your main problem with character or story? I can't tell from you post.

Back