Studios are not in the film biz anymore.

I consider a film good when the creators of the film write and execute a story well, creating interesting characters and situations that keep us interested.

Saving Private Ryan is a fantastic film, in my opinion. What made it great is that it both had a good story, and was flawlessly executed through great performances and phenomenal pacing. The audio/visual elements were put to good use as well. Not only were they intense, but they had a purpose - to show the horror and intensity of war. It wasn't to cover a weak story, but to assist the story and make it all the more powerful. Sort of substance and style rather than substance over style or style over substance.

I think films like Transformers are brilliant, in a way. They (the first one at least) pushed the boundaries of cinema SFX (there were puppets and other practical effects believe it or not) and VFX. One thing that bothers me is when filmmakers and film snobs single out (visual) elements, and review them judging them upon that. But I'd rather look at films as a whole, but still give credit to the filmmakers and those involved for what they've done.

There are some fantastic action sequences, but none of them ever seeped in and stayed with me. It wasn't an experience for me. Why? Poor writing and execution. The countless clichés, obvious product placement, cheap jokes, clunky pacing, and awkward placing of dramatic, romantic, and action filled scenes. If the characters were human, rather than over the top cartoonish characters only distinguishable by over the top looks or behaviors, as well as more well thought out situations and conflicts - I would have loved the film.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I LOVED Gravity. The symbolism, the fantastic flawless technical aspects, the gripping situations, the timelessness, and the well written human characters made the film one of the best cinema experiences I've ever had. The audio and visuals of the film assisted the story instead of covering up weakness in it's plot, which many films of that kind (high budget science fiction action) do. I was on the edge of my seat, glued to the screen. A balance was found between art and business. There was both a strong internal and external conflict, which made it appeal to people who love film, and those who go to movies casually. Gravity, to me, is a good film.

I consider a film good when the creators of the film write and execute a story well, creating interesting characters and situations that keep us interested.

I generally agree but there are some films that don't attempt at telling a story, or are experimental. A filmmaker like Peter Tscherkassky (who I think is hit or miss) has made some excellent films without really telling a story at all. Also there are experimental films like Un Chien Andalou that don't have a clear "good story." I also recently saw Teinosuke Kinugasa's A Page Of Madness which I still thought was an excellent film even though the story isn't very clear due to its lost benshi narration.

There are so many different types of films so I don't like defining what a "good" film is. I consider both an experimental Jean-Luc Godard film and a blockbuster by Steven Spielberg to be "good." So for me what is "good" is a very personal judgement of how the film connected with me, and I usually place more emphasis on visuals, editing rhythm, and characters than on plot. If a film is "great" then it stays with me forever and I can think of it and dream of it any time. Ah I love film! :)

I have come to a personal realization that it doesn't matter whether others believe that a film is good or not, what matters is whether I believe it's a good film or not. If I feel that a movie is great ,even if the majority are against it, I accept their opinion and do not get offended by it but I will still retain my opinion.

If you show the same movie to a filmmaker and a casual viewer you will obviously get two different perspectives on the movie's qualities - one who may not like the film because of technical filmmaking reasons and the other who loves the movie cause their favourite actor is in it, it features things they relate to etc.

Each of us is looking for something different in a movie and if a movie delivers on those aspects then it's a good movie.

Two films I enjoy that are polar opposites are Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Conan the Barbarian (not the remake) - both in my opinion are really good movies but one may look at those two films and say that both were bad or one was good the other was bad.

I have come to a personal realization that it doesn't matter whether others believe that a film is good or not, what matters is whether I believe it's a good film or not. If I feel that a movie is great ,even if the majority are against it, I accept their opinion and do not get offended by it but I will still retain my opinion.

:yes:

I generally agree but there are some films that don't attempt at telling a story, or are experimental. A filmmaker like Peter Tscherkassky (who I think is hit or miss) has made some excellent films without really telling a story at all. Also there are experimental films like Un Chien Andalou that don't have a clear "good story." I also recently saw Teinosuke Kinugasa's A Page Of Madness which I still thought was an excellent film even though the story isn't very clear due to its lost benshi narration.

A story doesn't have to make sense. A story doesn't have to be clear and linear. But the films that you had mentioned have meaning behind them. They are they way they are for a reason. While they may not make perfect sense, there is a story there. A complicated and strange story that the audience must figure out.

Ah I love film! :)

:)

Sometimes I want to set bitter cynicism about the flaws of films today, the problems with audiences today, the weakness and flaws of filmmakers today and so on to rest, and just admire film. Sit back, and admire film :)

A story doesn't have to make sense. A story doesn't have to be clear and linear. But the films that you had mentioned have meaning behind them. They are they way they are for a reason. While they may not make perfect sense, there is a story there. A complicated and strange story that the audience must figure out.

:)

Sometimes I want to set bitter cynicism about the flaws of films today, the problems with audiences today, the weakness and flaws of filmmakers today and so on to rest, and just admire film. Sit back, and admire film :)

That's true, they may not have "plot" or even real "characters" but they have meaning so they do have a sort of story.

And yeah, admiring film is much better than complaining about it and being very negative. :yes:

It all comes down to the cost of making movies.

Some great stories (World's Greatest Dad and Family Weekend are two I recently watched) have such limited markets, that it's hard to justify making one of these movies for $10 million.

While the unions have crew and cast rates in a stranglehold, the only way to save money is use technology to assist with production.

Would you say that Rihanna makes better music than Beethoven just because of mass audience appeal? ... I think that film is an art that should be evaluated in a similar manner.

I agree that film should be evaluated in a similar manner to other art forms but I disagree with many of those who evaluate film (and indeed some other artforms) because they tend to have a very blinkered, absolute view of what constitutes "good" art. Rihanna of course doesn't make the music, the music is made by the songs' composers/arrangers, the recording engineers, mix engineers and producer. However, Rihanna's recordings demonstrate a great amount of music production artistry and skill, and in regard to communicating with Rihanna's target audience, it is certainly better music than Beethoven's. Bare in mind, this is coming from someone who spent nearly a decade as a professional orchestral musician and I certainly have more understanding and appreciation of Beethoven than the vast majority!

One reason I think mainstream audiences are not reliable in evaluating film is because they have very many unreasonable biases such as not watching foreign films, not watching black and white films, or not watching "silent" films. Critics, cinephiles, and filmmakers have a greater understanding of film so their opinion is more valuable when evaluating film as art.

I don't see anything in the least bit unreasonable in mainstream audiences' biases: Foreign films require dubbing or subtitles, either of which removes a significant part of the film, all the nuances of which specific words were used and how they were delivered and is likely to significantly impact the film and the audience's involvement. Black and white films are virtually always made either very badly or for a very different demographic than the mainstream audiences of today and "silent" films even more so. Modern culture has evolved and what was believable and/or involving 80-100 years ago is no longer involving to the vast majority. And BTW, most black and white films of the 30's and 40's were even more formulaic and cliche'd than today's blockbusters. These audience biases seem to me to be entirely rational and reasonable!

My point here is that "critics, cinephiles and filmmakers" usually have a far better understanding of the process of film making, plus a rather narrow view of what constitutes art. In some respects this makes them better at evaluating film as art and in other respects this makes them completely incompetent for the job! Worse still, they often seem to take pride in their ignorance and arrogantly dismiss anything which falls outside their narrow biases.

Again, I don't care how much effort goes into the making of an average blockbuster, or how much thought is put into it if in the end another mediocre formulaic film with no aesthetic value is produced.

Blockbusters are generally "good" rather than mediocre, some are very good and an extremely rare few are great. Most people with limited time and money to visit the cinema will go and watch a blockbuster because in choosing a blockbuster they are reducing their risk of wasting their time and money on a "bad" film. So infact, blockbusters to a large extent exist and rely on their reputation for being "good"!

I absolutely do not agree that blockbusters have "no aesthetic value", they generally have a considerable amount of aesthetic value. Although, this aesthetic value is often ignored or overlooked by critics who have a narrow "fine art" bias towards what constitutes aesthetic value. Avatar for example has an enormous amount of artistic design and aesthetic value but because it's more pop style CGI art than classic cinematography art then apparently (according to many critics, cinephiles and some filmmakers) it's a mediocre or bad film with no aesthetic value. This is ignorant, arrogant snobbery!

I also don't watch films because of their historical importance or their role in the evolution of film, I usually watch them because I want to view meaningful art that has aesthetic value.

From what you've said so far, I don't believe this statement to be true. I believe you want to watch films which have a particular type of aesthetic value and therefore have an artistic meaning to you personally. What you appear to be saying is that art which falls outside your personal aesthetic biases is "mediocre" or "bad", has no aesthetic value and indeed isn't art at all. It's of course absolutely fine to have your own taste and opinions and I personally believe it's a essential for the film world to contain filmmakers with a wide diversity of tastes and opinions. There are 2 buts to this statement though: 1. It's going to be impossible, or at least much more difficult, for you to make films with any significantly wide appeal, if you are unable to recognise or appreciate what constitutes meaningful art to the wider public, and 2. There are lots of different art forms and many different styles within those artforms, some of which I personally don't like but when it comes to what I do professionally, I make sure I understand and appreciate those styles and I would never insult those who do like those styles by denying the fact that they have some aesthetic or artistic value. But that's just me! :)

When I first saw Citizen Kane I didn't care about how innovative the audio and camera techniques Orson Welles used in the film were, I enjoyed it as a cinematic experience with meaningful themes, great visuals, and it was just fun to watch for me.

That puts you in a very tiny group of people, most wouldn't be able to sit through it, let alone describe it as "fun to watch". One of the reasons for this is that by current standards it provides a very poor cinematic experience. For example, one of the reasons for the success of Gravity is the fact that it uses the new technological advances provided by Dolby Atmos to creatively involve the audience. With a mono soundtrack, which is all that was available to Orsen Welles, it's unlikely Gravity would have had the same level of success and it's possible that it wouldn't have been successful at all, although of course with only mono sound it would have been made differently in the first place.

I know there is a lot of work, thought, and art involved in commercial films, however, as a film viewer I don't value it since the end product is usually weak IMO.

By definition the end product is relatively strong, otherwise the film studios wouldn't exist. I don't think it's really a matter of opinion whether say a blockbuster is a good product, it's more a matter of fact. Either the film made it's projected profit, in which case it was a good product or it didn't, in which case the product or it's marketing were weak.

G
PS. I'm obviously talking in terms of narrative films here (and previously).

I agree that film should be evaluated in a similar manner to other art forms but I disagree with many of those who evaluate film (and indeed some other artforms) because they tend to have a very blinkered, absolute view of what constitutes "good" art. Rihanna of course doesn't make the music, the music is made by the songs' composers/arrangers, the recording engineers, mix engineers and producer. However, Rihanna's recordings demonstrate a great amount of music production artistry and skill, and in regard to communicating with Rihanna's target audience, it is certainly better music than Beethoven's. Bare in mind, this is coming from someone who spent nearly a decade as a professional orchestral musician and I certainly have more understanding and appreciation of Beethoven than the vast majority!

I don't see anything in the least bit unreasonable in mainstream audiences' biases: Foreign films require dubbing or subtitles, either of which removes a significant part of the film, all the nuances of which specific words were used and how they were delivered and is likely to significantly impact the film and the audience's involvement. Black and white films are virtually always made either very badly or for a very different demographic than the mainstream audiences of today and "silent" films even more so. Modern culture has evolved and what was believable and/or involving 80-100 years ago is no longer involving to the vast majority. And BTW, most black and white films of the 30's and 40's were even more formulaic and cliche'd than today's blockbusters. These audience biases seem to me to be entirely rational and reasonable!

My point here is that "critics, cinephiles and filmmakers" usually have a far better understanding of the process of film making, plus a rather narrow view of what constitutes art. In some respects this makes them better at evaluating film as art and in other respects this makes them completely incompetent for the job! Worse still, they often seem to take pride in their ignorance and arrogantly dismiss anything which falls outside their narrow biases.

Blockbusters are generally "good" rather than mediocre, some are very good and an extremely rare few are great. Most people with limited time and money to visit the cinema will go and watch a blockbuster because in choosing a blockbuster they are reducing their risk of wasting their time and money on a "bad" film. So infact, blockbusters to a large extent exist and rely on their reputation for being "good"!

I absolutely do not agree that blockbusters have "no aesthetic value", they generally have a considerable amount of aesthetic value. Although, this aesthetic value is often ignored or overlooked by critics who have a narrow "fine art" bias towards what constitutes aesthetic value. Avatar for example has an enormous amount of artistic design and aesthetic value but because it's more pop style CGI art than classic cinematography art then apparently (according to many critics, cinephiles and some filmmakers) it's a mediocre or bad film with no aesthetic value. This is ignorant, arrogant snobbery!

From what you've said so far, I don't believe this statement to be true. I believe you want to watch films which have a particular type of aesthetic value and therefore have an artistic meaning to you personally. What you appear to be saying is that art which falls outside your personal aesthetic biases is "mediocre" or "bad", has no aesthetic value and indeed isn't art at all. It's of course absolutely fine to have your own taste and opinions and I personally believe it's a essential for the film world to contain filmmakers with a wide diversity of tastes and opinions. There are 2 buts to this statement though: 1. It's going to be impossible, or at least much more difficult, for you to make films with any significantly wide appeal, if you are unable to recognise or appreciate what constitutes meaningful art to the wider public, and 2. There are lots of different art forms and many different styles within those artforms, some of which I personally don't like but when it comes to what I do professionally, I make sure I understand and appreciate those styles and I would never insult those who do like those styles by denying the fact that they have some aesthetic or artistic value. But that's just me! :)

That puts you in a very tiny group of people, most wouldn't be able to sit through it, let alone describe it as "fun to watch". One of the reasons for this is that by current standards it provides a very poor cinematic experience. For example, one of the reasons for the success of Gravity is the fact that it uses the new technological advances provided by Dolby Atmos to creatively involve the audience. With a mono soundtrack, which is all that was available to Orsen Welles, it's unlikely Gravity would have had the same level of success and it's possible that it wouldn't have been successful at all, although of course with only mono sound it would have been made differently in the first place.

By definition the end product is relatively strong, otherwise the film studios wouldn't exist. I don't think it's really a matter of opinion whether say a blockbuster is a good product, it's more a matter of fact. Either the film made it's projected profit, in which case it was a good product or it didn't, in which case the product or it's marketing were weak.

G
PS. I'm obviously talking in terms of narrative films here (and previously).

Great response!

I actually feel like I made an unfair comparison when comparing Rihanna with Beethoven, of course they work in different time periods and musical styles. There are popular musicians that I like that are better than Rihanna, but that's not the point. Rihanna (and her music production team) are giving their fans what they want, and I'm no one to judge their taste. I don't like her music at all, but it certainly gives pleasure to many people so just for that I think it must be valuable somehow.

I don't agree about the mainstream audiences' bias, it shows that they don't really care about cinema as art and only see it as a way to waste time. I believe that foreign, black & white, and "silent" films are all valuable and there have been great masterpieces within each of these categories. I don't believe that modern culture has "evolved," I don't view art as a progression. The development of technology does not improve artistic expression IMO. And you're right, most old films were formulaic, and so are most films today. I just personally don't want to watch formulaic films new or old. I guess I don't have a problem with people enjoying what I consider to be formulaic or mediocre films, I have a problem when you start saying that filmmakers and critics are incompetent at evaluating film. I also have a problem when films like Citizen Kane are called "poor cinematic experiences compared to today's standards." Are today's standards even good? I've seen Citizen Kane and I've seen the first two Transformers, I believe that the former was a much superior cinematic experience regardless of what today's mainstream audience thinks.

I don't think most blockbusters are good, films like Gravity or Avatar are the exceptions in my opinion (I like both of those films and consider them to be art, even though they're not among my favorites). I think people watch blockbusters because they like watching something popular that "everyone is watching" as well as the marketing of the film that builds up anticipation. Another reason people watch blockbusters is because they don't like expanding their tastes or challenging themselves with a film. Can't some critics genuinely not find anything to appreciate in a film like Avatar or Gravity? If a critic dismisses all commercial films then it is just like the average film goer who dismisses all 'art' films, foreign films, black & white films, and "silent" films. I agree that people who dismiss an entire type of film is being "snobbish," "arrogant," and "ignorant." But I believe that mainstream audiences are just as guilty of this.

I don't know about limiting myself to a specific style of aesthetic value but I appreciate films of all countries, time periods, styles, and genres. As I stated in an earlier post, I see value in both Jean-Luc Godard and Steven Spielberg (in fact, Spielberg is one of my heroes while Godard is not). I think it is mainstream audiences that have narrow tastes when they usually limit their cinematic taste to North American commercial films that are shot in color and not made before 1967 (or 1980).

Your two 'buts' are very relevant and must be addressed. Regarding the first 'but' I must say that I no longer seek to be a commercial filmmaker for a wide audience. When I was younger I used to dream of being a Steven Spielberg or George Lucas, however, as I fell in love with the art of film (and filmmaking) I realized that making commercial films is not for me. I want to make films because I love cinema, and like Jia Zhangke (a filmmaker I mentioned earlier) as long as my films are viewed by an interested audience I'll be happy. I think the world needs both Michael Bay and Apichatpong Weerasethakul, it also needs James Cameron and Wong Kar Wai. If what is 'meaningful art' to the public is not 'meaningful' to me, then why would I make it? Cinema is a very personal experience for me and I want to pursue filmmaking in a personal way. I don't need millions of people watching if they'll forget my film the next weekend, I'd rather make films for a couple thousand who treasure my film and devote themselves to the appreciation of cinema.

Well, when cinema is viewed as art whatever kind of Dolby sound system is used or whatever camera is used is irrelevant. Both the use of sound in Citizen Kane and Gravity are stellar IMO, because it is used to enhance the film and make it more engaging. It is interesting to view cinema as an "experience" because I think that it is true. I believe that my enjoyment of the "cinematic experience" that Gravity provided in the movie theater was more valuable than my appreciation of the film itself (although I think it is a great film).

I'm not sure that it's that Citizen Kane is a "poor cinematic experience," rather most people don't give it (or most pre-1967 films) a chance. Most people will instantly be 'turned off' from a film as soon as they hear it's "silent" or black & white or foreign. From my experience whenever I start watching a Japanese film my dad says "oh, it's in Japanese, why don't we watch something else?" I can assure you, he has not given any Japanese film a chance.

By "product" I meant "artwork." I don't think any artwork should be judged by the amount of money it makes. It's impossible to 100% accurately evaluate an artwork but I think a good signifier is how it resonates with audiences long after it is produced. I also think that experts of films such as filmmakers, cinephiles, and critics can judge films just because of the sheer amount of experiences they have in film viewing, analysis, and filmmaking.

At the end of the day, the personal connection the viewer has with the film is all that matters. A film is "good" when the viewer enjoys it. I hope I don't come off snobbish, I certainly never try to get people to "stop watching those stupid blockbusters." All I hope to do is to promote the appreciation of world cinema and classic cinema, in reality I think it has a lot to do with awareness since most people let their biases get in the way of appreciating older films or foreign films. I also hope I don't come off as one of those pretentious narrow-minded arthouse snobs since I do love a lot of commercial cinema as well. I learn a lot from discussing with you and I honestly appreciate your view of film (and all art). Thanks for the discussion! :)

I also hope I don't come off as one of those pretentious narrow-minded arthouse snobs since I do love a lot of commercial cinema as well. I learn a lot from discussing with you and I honestly appreciate your view of film (and all art).

There are certainly elements of what you appear to be saying which are in common with "those pretentious narrow-minded arthouse snobs", but I don't believe you are as narrow-minded and I don't think you are pretentious, so my more vociferous rants were not aimed at you personally but at what some of your comments often represent.

I actually feel like I made an unfair comparison when comparing Rihanna with Beethoven, of course they work in different time periods and musical styles. There are popular musicians that I like that are better than Rihanna, but that's not the point. Rihanna (and her music production team) are giving their fans what they want, and I'm no one to judge their taste. I don't like her music at all, but it certainly gives pleasure to many people so just for that I think it must be valuable somehow.

I'm not sure it was an unfair comparison, in many ways it was a very good comparison because Rihanna for me epitomises current commercial popular music culture, how manufactured it is and how marketing and the manipulation of youth culture issues trumps the skill and talent of the performer/front man. As different as Beethoven and Rihanna (when I say Rihanna I mean the music created and marketed under her name) may appear, there are certain artistic fundamentals they have in common.

I don't believe that modern culture has "evolved," I don't view art as a progression. The development of technology does not improve artistic expression IMO.

I'm not sure I see what rationale or factual basis you have for this belief? All art evolves and has always evolved as both a mirror to cultural evolution and a driver of it. Hayden and Mozart created a new style of music, one which reflected the huge cultural and socio-economic changes of the industrial revolution, the move from the patronage system to the self-employed business model and the resultant need to entertain an audience. Both were highly formulaic composers, virtually no composer is/was more formulaic than Hayden, and improving technology had a dramatic effect on what they composed and how they composed it. Beethoven's greatest contribution IMHO, was the realisation that shock, horror and unpredictability could also be employed as entertainment tools rather than only the creation of predictable sublime beauty which was largely the basis of Hayden, Mozart and the Classical Music period. It's hard to reconcile critical opinion of the time with the public perception of Beethoven today. Critics of the day printed reviews such as: "Beethoven always sounds to me like the upsetting of bags of nails, with here and there an also dropped hammer." or "We found Beethoven's Ninth Symphony to be precisely one hour and five minutes long; a fearful period indeed, which puts the muscles and lungs of the band, and the patience of the audience to a severe trial ... . The symphony we could not make out; and here, as well as in other parts, the want of intelligible design is too apparent.". Beethoven was a musical revolutionary but by today's standards he is as institutionalised as just about any artist in history! Cultural evolution and technological improvements (in the manufacture of instruments, concert venues, etc.) were the enablers/drivers of this new style of music composition, as indeed they had been for the likes of Hayden and Mozart and the evolution from the High Baroque to the Classical era. Improving technology has always had a dramatic effect on artistic expression throughout history and not just in music but in all the arts. For example, without new types and methods of paint manufacture the French Impressionist movement would not have occurred. Contrary to your statement, new technology provides new and/or enhanced methods of artistic expression but whether or not this is an improvement is a matter opinion because it depends on how that technology is employed by the artist. The method of artistic expression was very different between say Gauguin or Van Gogh and Da Vinci or Raphael but whether Van Gogh is better than Raphael is a matter of personal opinion.

I've deliberately used historical examples of evolving artistic styles, evolving culture and improving technology just to demonstrate that it's always been the case but I could just as easily have used more modern examples such as 1960's pop/drug culture, multi-track recording and The Beetles, synth pop in the 80's, digital audio with gangster rap, house and various other genres in the 90's plus countless other examples. And of course, this all applies just as much to fimmaking as it does to all the other arts. The earliest films such as "Arrival of the Train" had audience members fainting and running screaming from the auditorium but by the 1920's audiences were far more sophisticated and wouldn't have batted an eye but new technologies and filmmaking techniques in films like Nosferatu which were truly chilling. By the same token, today's modern would find Nosferatu about as chilling or horrific as watching paint dry! The pacing and lack of realism or believability is just too great for the vast majority of modern audiences to feel involved.

I don't agree about the mainstream audiences' bias, it shows that they don't really care about cinema as art and only see it as a way to waste time.... I've seen Citizen Kane and I've seen the first two Transformers, I believe that the former was a much superior cinematic experience regardless of what today's mainstream audience thinks.

If that were true, no commercial film would ever contain any art because it wouldn't make commercial sense to spend the time, effort and money creating it. This brings us back to the points I've discussed in the past about what constitutes art. At a fundamental level all art is a method of communication, if what someone has created does not communicate with an audience, that audience will not easily be able to appreciate the art. So, just because an audience can't see or appreciate the art does not mean it's not there, it could just as easily be a failure of that particular audience. This statement is just as applicable to an audience of the general public as it is to an audience of critics or aficionados. As you mentioned, some critics can't see the art in films like Avatar but you (and many others) do, you can't see the art in a film like Transformers but others can, you see the art in Citizen Kane and most others wouldn't or even if they did, it wouldn't be enough to make Citizen Kane an enjoyable experience. Technology has moved on but technology itself is irrelevant, it's what the technology represents, what it allows in terms of creative filmmaking techniques to communicate with modern audiences. So again, we are back to what I said about ignorance and snobbery and of films which communicate through art with us personally. What you again seem to be saying is that art does not exist beyond your personal biases and therefore that mainstream audiences don't care about cinema as art. Just as some critics state that Avatar is without any artistic merit, your statement says more about your personal biases and limitations towards art than it does about mainstream audiences'!

I just personally don't want to watch formulaic films new or old. I guess I don't have a problem with people enjoying what I consider to be formulaic or mediocre films, I have a problem when you start saying that filmmakers and critics are incompetent at evaluating film.

Again, this first statement in untrue! At least in your second sentence you save yourself a little by stating, "what I consider to be formulaic". Of course, Citizen Kane is also formulaic to a degree, otherwise it would be a completely abstract film. So in fact, you are not saying that you don't want to watch formulaic films, you are saying that you don't want to watch films in which the formula is too obvious beyond a completely arbitrary point, a point dictated by your personal biases. And, just as with aesthetic artistry, what falls outside your personal biases you describe as formulaic and what falls inside is not. In reality though virtually all narrative film is formulaic to some degree and the distinctions you are making either do not exist or are far broader than you appear to believe and it's rather insulting to those who have either broader definitions than you or narrower but different definitions (as is often the case with mainstream audiences).

This goes to the heart of why there is so often a difference of opinion between some filmmakers/critics and the public and why some filmmakers/critics are often incompetent at evaluating film. Regardless of the fact their definitions of film art may be broader than that of mainstream audiences, it is frequently still relatively narrow and unfortunately often too narrow to appreciate the art which is aimed at mainstream audiences, and this is why they are incompetent!

I also have a problem when films like Citizen Kane are called "poor cinematic experiences compared to today's standards." Are today's standards even good?

The technology is obviously far superior, how filmmakers are employing that technology is a different question though. Most no/lo budget filmmakers are using certain aspects of cinema technology extremely poorly poorly or more commonly not at all (!), and even some high budget filmmakers are not always getting as much out of it as they could. But overall, today's commercial cinematic experiences are in a different league to those of Orson Welles' day and indeed, from what I know of Orson Welles, if he were alive and making films today he would be at the forefront of pushing the boundaries of our current technology, just as he was with the technology and filmmaking techniques of his day. Exactly the same would almost certainly have been true of Mozart, Beethoven and probably Da Vinci as well!

Another reason people watch blockbusters is because they don't like expanding their tastes or challenging themselves with a film.

Blockbusters of today are quite different from blockbusters of 20 years ago and even more different to blockbusters of 40 years ago and 60 years ago. Blockbusters are therefore evolving which means that audiences do like their tastes being challenged, although maybe not in the way you feel their tastes should be challenged.

I don't know about limiting myself to a specific style of aesthetic value but I appreciate films of all countries, time periods, styles, and genres. As I stated in an earlier post, I see value in both Jean-Luc Godard and Steven Spielberg (in fact, Spielberg is one of my heroes while Godard is not). I think it is mainstream audiences that have narrow tastes when they usually limit their cinematic taste to North American commercial films that are shot in color and not made before 1967 (or 1980).

I think mainstream audiences do have narrow tastes, tastes influenced by contemporary culture, to which film itself contributes. It is far more difficult to enjoy a film which is designed to communicate with a different culture, either a different culture in time or geography. Hence another reason why say silent and foreign films don't do well in North America, however, films from the UK often do reasonably well in the US because the culture is not so different in some respects.

Regarding the first 'but' I must say that I no longer seek to be a commercial filmmaker for a wide audience. When I was younger I used to dream of being a Steven Spielberg or George Lucas, however, as I fell in love with the art of film (and filmmaking) I realized that making commercial films is not for me. I want to make films because I love cinema, and like Jia Zhangke (a filmmaker I mentioned earlier) as long as my films are viewed by an interested audience I'll be happy.

Well, there's the rub! Unlike for example commercial pop music, which is all made for domestic consumption, cinematic filmmaking ultimately requires a cinema and unless you've got pots of cash to privately rent a cinema that means making films with at least some serious commercial considerations, even if it's for a relatively limited/fringe target audience.

Well, when cinema is viewed as art whatever kind of Dolby sound system is used or whatever camera is used is irrelevant. Both the use of sound in Citizen Kane and Gravity are stellar IMO, because it is used to enhance the film and make it more engaging.

No, used well, the sound in the film contributes significantly to how involved the audience feels. Citizen Kane had excellent sound for it's day and for the audiences of that day, but that day is long gone. Modern cinemas can no longer even play a mono only soundtrack!

At the end of the day, the personal connection the viewer has with the film is all that matters. A film is "good" when the viewer enjoys it.

To a very large extent that's exactly what I've been trying to say. Of course though, one has to accept that culture and tastes change over time and therefore most works of art eventually fail to create a personal connection with the audience. The exception to this rule are those incredibly rare masterpieces which speak to those fundamental elements of human culture and society which change relatively little. Which is why there is still a demand for performances of Beethoven's music even though it's now a niche market rather than the mainstream market of Beethoven's day.

G

Last edited:
I happen to agree with the article. Avatarwasn't a great movie. It's eye candy without substance. The Watchmen and first The Matrix were way better. They just didn't have Avatar's media hype.

Harlan Ellison was rightfully complaining about the eye candy problem with Hollywood a generation ago. And, the problem is only getting worse.

There are certainly elements of what you appear to be saying which are in common with "those pretentious narrow-minded arthouse snobs", but I don't believe you are as narrow-minded and I don't think you are pretentious, so my more vociferous rants were not aimed at you personally but at what some of your comments often represent.

I'm not sure it was an unfair comparison, in many ways it was a very good comparison because Rihanna for me epitomises current commercial popular music culture, how manufactured it is and how marketing and the manipulation of youth culture issues trumps the skill and talent of the performer/front man. As different as Beethoven and Rihanna (when I say Rihanna I mean the music created and marketed under her name) may appear, there are certain artistic fundamentals they have in common.

I'm not sure I see what rationale or factual basis you have for this belief? All art evolves and has always evolved as both a mirror to cultural evolution and a driver of it. Hayden and Mozart created a new style of music, one which reflected the huge cultural and socio-economic changes of the industrial revolution, the move from the patronage system to the self-employed business model and the resultant need to entertain an audience. Both were highly formulaic composers, virtually no composer is/was more formulaic than Hayden, and improving technology had a dramatic effect on what they composed and how they composed it. Beethoven's greatest contribution IMHO, was the realisation that shock, horror and unpredictability could also be employed as entertainment tools rather than only the creation of predictable sublime beauty which was largely the basis of Hayden, Mozart and the Classical Music period. It's hard to reconcile critical opinion of the time with the public perception of Beethoven today. Critics of the day printed reviews such as: "Beethoven always sounds to me like the upsetting of bags of nails, with here and there an also dropped hammer." or "We found Beethoven's Ninth Symphony to be precisely one hour and five minutes long; a fearful period indeed, which puts the muscles and lungs of the band, and the patience of the audience to a severe trial ... . The symphony we could not make out; and here, as well as in other parts, the want of intelligible design is too apparent.". Beethoven was a musical revolutionary but by today's standards he is as institutionalised as just about any artist in history! Cultural evolution and technological improvements (in the manufacture of instruments, concert venues, etc.) were the enablers/drivers of this new style of music composition, as indeed they had been for the likes of Hayden and Mozart and the evolution from the High Baroque to the Classical era. Improving technology has always had a dramatic effect on artistic expression throughout history and not just in music but in all the arts. For example, without new types and methods of paint manufacture the French Impressionist movement would not have occurred. Contrary to your statement, new technology provides new and/or enhanced methods of artistic expression but whether or not this is an improvement is a matter opinion because it depends on how that technology is employed by the artist. The method of artistic expression was very different between say Gauguin or Van Gogh and Da Vinci or Raphael but whether Van Gogh is better than Raphael is a matter of personal opinion.

I've deliberately used historical examples of evolving artistic styles, evolving culture and improving technology just to demonstrate that it's always been the case but I could just as easily have used more modern examples such as 1960's pop/drug culture, multi-track recording and The Beetles, synth pop in the 80's, digital audio with gangster rap, house and various other genres in the 90's plus countless other examples. And of course, this all applies just as much to fimmaking as it does to all the other arts. The earliest films such as "Arrival of the Train" had audience members fainting and running screaming from the auditorium but by the 1920's audiences were far more sophisticated and wouldn't have batted an eye but new technologies and filmmaking techniques in films like Nosferatu which were truly chilling. By the same token, today's modern would find Nosferatu about as chilling or horrific as watching paint dry! The pacing and lack of realism or believability is just too great for the vast majority of modern audiences to feel involved.

If that were true, no commercial film would ever contain any art because it wouldn't make commercial sense to spend the time, effort and money creating it. This brings us back to the points I've discussed in the past about what constitutes art. At a fundamental level all art is a method of communication, if what someone has created does not communicate with an audience, that audience will not easily be able to appreciate the art. So, just because an audience can't see or appreciate the art does not mean it's not there, it could just as easily be a failure of that particular audience. This statement is just as applicable to an audience of the general public as it is to an audience of critics or aficionados. As you mentioned, some critics can't see the art in films like Avatar but you (and many others) do, you can't see the art in a film like Transformers but others can, you see the art in Citizen Kane and most others wouldn't or even if they did, it wouldn't be enough to make Citizen Kane an enjoyable experience. Technology has moved on but technology itself is irrelevant, it's what the technology represents, what it allows in terms of creative filmmaking techniques to communicate with modern audiences. So again, we are back to what I said about ignorance and snobbery and of films which communicate through art with us personally. What you again seem to be saying is that art does not exist beyond your personal biases and therefore that mainstream audiences don't care about cinema as art. Just as some critics state that Avatar is without any artistic merit, your statement says more about your personal biases and limitations towards art than it does about mainstream audiences'!

Again, this first statement in untrue! At least in your second sentence you save yourself a little by stating, "what I consider to be formulaic". Of course, Citizen Kane is also formulaic to a degree, otherwise it would be a completely abstract film. So in fact, you are not saying that you don't want to watch formulaic films, you are saying that you don't want to watch films in which the formula is too obvious beyond a completely arbitrary point, a point dictated by your personal biases. And, just as with aesthetic artistry, what falls outside your personal biases you describe as formulaic and what falls inside is not. In reality though virtually all narrative film is formulaic to some degree and the distinctions you are making either do not exist or are far broader than you appear to believe and it's rather insulting to those who have either broader definitions than you or narrower but different definitions (as is often the case with mainstream audiences).

This goes to the heart of why there is so often a difference of opinion between some filmmakers/critics and the public and why some filmmakers/critics are often incompetent at evaluating film. Regardless of the fact their definitions of film art may be broader than that of mainstream audiences, it is frequently still relatively narrow and unfortunately often too narrow to appreciate the art which is aimed at mainstream audiences, and this is why they are incompetent!

The technology is obviously far superior, how filmmakers are employing that technology is a different question though. Most no/lo budget filmmakers are using certain aspects of cinema technology extremely poorly poorly or more commonly not at all (!), and even some high budget filmmakers are not always getting as much out of it as they could. But overall, today's commercial cinematic experiences are in a different league to those of Orson Welles' day and indeed, from what I know of Orson Welles, if he were alive and making films today he would be at the forefront of pushing the boundaries of our current technology, just as he was with the technology and filmmaking techniques of his day. Exactly the same would almost certainly have been true of Mozart, Beethoven and probably Da Vinci as well!

Blockbusters of today are quite different from blockbusters of 20 years ago and even more different to blockbusters of 40 years ago and 60 years ago. Blockbusters are therefore evolving which means that audiences do like their tastes being challenged, although maybe not in the way you feel their tastes should be challenged.

I think mainstream audiences do have narrow tastes, tastes influenced by contemporary culture, to which film itself contributes. It is far more difficult to enjoy a film which is designed to communicate with a different culture, either a different culture in time or geography. Hence another reason why say silent and foreign films don't do well in North America, however, films from the UK often do reasonably well in the US because the culture is not so different in some respects.

Well, there's the rub! Unlike for example commercial pop music, which is all made for domestic consumption, cinematic filmmaking ultimately requires a cinema and unless you've got pots of cash to privately rent a cinema that means making films with at least some serious commercial considerations, even if it's for a relatively limited/fringe target audience.

No, used well, the sound in the film contributes significantly to how involved the audience feels. Citizen Kane had excellent sound for it's day and for the audiences of that day, but that day is long gone. Modern cinemas can no longer even play a mono only soundtrack!

To a very large extent that's exactly what I've been trying to say. Of course though, one has to accept that culture and tastes change over time and therefore most works of art eventually fail to create a personal connection with the audience. The exception to this rule are those incredibly rare masterpieces which speak to those fundamental elements of human culture and society which change relatively little. Which is why there is still a demand for performances of Beethoven's music even though it's now a niche market rather than the mainstream market of Beethoven's day.

G

Haha thanks, I suppose my biases may sometimes be in line with the "snobs" even though I don't think I'm one of them.

I'm sorry, when I said that I don't think art "evolves" or that it's not a "progression" I meant that I don't think that art from the past is inherently worse than art made in the present just because of technological advancements. I've used this example a lot but I really don't think that Transformers 2 is better than Citizen Kane just because Transformers 2 was made with better technology and is more culturally relevant to mainstream audiences. I also think that a film like Nosferatu is still great even though it fails to terrify audiences today. It still has great use of lighting, one of the coolest looking vampires IMO, great expressionistic sets, and the story is engaging (at least to me, and I saw this film before I was a 'cinephile'). I think that film will be remembered and is more timeless than Silent Hill or Sharknado or The Conjuring.

I guess I should state that I believe that all film is art. I don't think every film I dislike is 'not art.' But just because I think all cinema is art, that doesn't mean that mainstream audiences view it as art. From my experience, most of my friends view cinema as a time waster, light entertainment, or escapism. They don't value it nearly as much as I do and it was only until I've discussed with them that they began considering that there must be some sort of art to cinema (even though they still have limited tastes). I also think that I personally have less limitations to my film taste than mainstream audiences because I don't cut off over 50 years of cinema just because it was shot in black and white.

I'm sorry for phrasing my statement incorrectly. What I meant to say is that I don't prefer a film just because it's old or foreign or "silent" because trust me there are some arthouse fans who do. I don't see why critics have to appreciate just about every film though. At least for me personally, my life is too short to be watching direct to video films ripping off other mainstream films, a countless amount of B-movies, and every blockbuster that is released. So I prefer to watch films that interest me and don't seem like a waste of time to me. Surely mainstream audiences believe their lives are too short to be watching foreign films, "silent" films, or black and white films as well. I guess one of our main differences is that I agree with what film criticism is currently representing for the most part while you believe that film critics (and any film experts) should embrace every film.

I'm sorry but I think few films stand in a 'different league' than Citizen Kane. If by 'different league' you mean 'greater' then I certainly disagree. But if you just mean that current films are greater at satisfying mainstream audiences then I definitely agree with you. If Orson Welles was alive today he'd still be pushing the boundaries of films, but he wouldn't be making making mainstream films (since mainstream directors don't push boundaries). I think Orson Welles would be much closer to a Lav Diaz or Apichatpong Weerasethakul than a Michael Bay.

I don't agree about blockbusters, I think that has more to do with popular culture changing than filmmakers trying to challenge audiences.

I agree that it's more difficult to appreciate older or foreign films, but that just shows how mainstream audiences don't want to be challenged. They usually don't even give foreign or older films a chance though, I did last year and now it's a lot easier for me to appreciate a Truffaut film than a Michael Bay film.

Of course that is what I meant, I see myself making films for a limited audience and not with a huge budget.

I still think that the way sound is used is more important than the technology used. And cinephiles really don't care if it's Dolby, stereo, mono or not. I know a lot of cinephiles who are willing to download a third generation VHS tape quality copy of an Edward Yang film just to watch the film, and certainly the a/v quality is awful but they still appreciate the film. Would their appreciation of the film be increased if they had seen it in theaters with a great print? Of course, but that doesn't mean that they won't love the film anyway.

Don't you think that Citizen Kane is one of those incredible timeless masterpieces? I do, otherwise it wouldn't be so talked about and appreciated by a niche audience just like Beethoven's music. There are still screenings of films by Orson Welles, Yasujiro Ozu, Akira Kurosawa, Federico Fellini, Ingmar Bergman, and many other 'masters' of films every year, and their timelessness will only continue to be made apparent as the years go by. Film distributors like the Criterion Collection and Kino are preserving films from all time periods from all over the world because they are universal and timeless. What I am saying is that film already has it's Beethovens and Mozarts who are continually in demand by niche audiences. Just because mainstream audiences want to listen to Rihanna or watch Michael Bay films, that does not mean that lesser known films (within the mainstream) are inferior!

I truly believe that hundreds of years from now, the 'master' filmmakers (along with more that are yet to be canonized) will be appreciated and studied by a niche audience just like composers in classical music are. At the same time, I think that most commercial films (both past and present) will be forgotten. I don't think that someone like Steven Spielberg or James Cameron will be forgotten, just like John Ford, Frank Capra, and Howard Hawks haven't been forgotten because they are outstanding filmmakers.

Yup.

I get tired of people complaining about sky high healthcare and education costs.
Well... hospitals and colleges are businesses just like WalMart and Chevrolet are, but you don't hear anyone b!tchin' and complaining about their "profit model."

A bit offtopic, but hospitals shouldn't be part of the free market economy, because supply and demand aren't really based on choice. When you're sick/wounded, you need help. It's not like picking apples instead of cookies... (Probably a way too western European view ;) )

Movies, however, fit perfectly: supply and demand.
The stakeholders want their Return On Investment. It's logical.

A bit offtopic, but hospitals shouldn't be part of the free market economy, because supply and demand aren't really based on choice.
Healthcare is every bit discretionary as entertainment.

I WANT to see such-and-such movie or sporting event.
I WANT my one remaining kidney dialized.

You have the right to refuse to attend or view most aspects of any entertainment venue as risk of being bored.
You also have the right to refuse medical treatment at risk of disability or death - but it remains your choice.

There is a materials and labor cost associated with providing modern entertainment.
There is a materials and labor cost associated with providing modern healthcare.

Entertainment providers that fail to control production expenses below revenues will be rewarded with business failures.
Healthcare providers that fail to control production expenses below revenues will be rewarded with business failures.

If you're proposing socializing healthcare (and I'm not suggesting that any given nation NOT do that) even more than it currently is under the government regulated/legislated insurance regime then it's up to that society to determine just where that limit is.

Would you also propose and support extensive government socialization of entertainment, then?

when I said that I don't think art "evolves" or that it's not a "progression" I meant that I don't think that art from the past is inherently worse than art made in the present just because of technological advancements.

Again, I find it difficult to see your justification for this comment. Can you name one neolithic cave painting that you would consider to be as "great" as say a Da Vinci, Turner or Picasso? The technology of the time provided an extremely limited number of methods, techniques, styles, colours, etc., with which to express oneself artistically and what was expressed generally appears to be very simplistic, maybe because societies were far more simplistic but also because the technology simply didn't provide the means to express more complex concepts. We can still appreciate neolithic art; for what it stands for, for the little it tells us and for when it was made but it seems incredibly naive and crude compared to paintings of the last few centuries. Technology is not something which is separate from art; culture, art and advances in technology are all intertwined and all influence each other. And in no art is this more true than in film, which through the combination of many other arts and of technology, represents by far the most sophisticated method humans have ever devised for storytelling. The problem with sophistication is that as culture and technology advances, what was once the height of sophistication becomes outdated and only fully appreciated by older sentimentalists, eventually a point is reached where it is perceived as naive and crude and it's ability to communicate disappears almost entirely except for a tiny few historians and extremists. While some extremists may believe that film reached it's pinnacle in say the "silent" era and wish that film development had stopped at that point, this view IMO completely misses the point of film as an artform!

I've used this example a lot but I really don't think that Transformers 2 is better than Citizen Kane just because Transformers 2 was made with better technology and is more culturally relevant to mainstream audiences. I also think that a film like Nosferatu is still great even though it fails to terrify audiences today. It still has great use of lighting, one of the coolest looking vampires IMO, great expressionistic sets, and the story is engaging (at least to me, and I saw this film before I was a 'cinephile'). I think that film will be remembered and is more timeless than Silent Hill or Sharknado or The Conjuring.

Regardless of the quality of the lighting, cinematography, make up, set design or any of the other constituent arts in film, if a horror film fails to communicate any horror or engage the audience then it's a bad film. But as with all art, timing is everything! If I composed a symphony now in the style of Beethoven, it would either be completely ignored or at best criticised as derivative tosh but if I composed it before Beethoven then I'd be a household name and you may never had heard of the name Beethoven. If Van Gogh had painted his paintings in the 1940s he would probably be no more than a footnote in a local French newspaper about some Dutch nutter who cut off his own ear and then shot himself!

The technicalities of the filmmaking process or of it's constituent arts is irrelevant to anyone other than a filmmaker, just as the brushwork of Van Gogh might be of huge importance to other painters but not to the casual observer. What's important is how we perceive the end result and whether this process of perception is engaging. Indeed, the point of the impressionist movement was to aim at communicating the perceptual essence of reality rather than just recreating the actual reality. And so it is with film, what's important is how we tell the story, how well we engage and communicate with the audience.

Don't you think that Citizen Kane is one of those incredible timeless masterpieces?

No...! As with Nosferatu, certainly a great masterpiece but not timeless except in the sense of what was done, when it was done and how it influenced subsequent filmmakers. But without appreciating it's historical importance and judging it purely as a film, then it obviously isn't timeless because it wouldn't engage the overwhelming majority or communicate anything much beyond boredom, except to film historians, those interested in the process of filmmaking and some cinephiles.

I guess I should state that I believe that all film is art. I don't think every film I dislike is 'not art.'

That appears to be quite different to what you've said previously a number of times, that many commercial films are without any aesthetic or artistic value. Isn't stating that something has no aesthetic or artistic value the same as saying that it is "not art"?

But just because I think all cinema is art, that doesn't mean that mainstream audiences view it as art.

But that's a good thing! My goal as a filmmaker is be a good storyteller and engage my audience. If my audience are considering the artistic merits of my film, the lighting or any other process then by definition they are not fully engaged in the film and I have to some significant degree failed as a filmmaker. If the audience consider the artistic merits of my film once the screening is over, that's OK but if they just really enjoyed the film, only discuss the story and don't even consider the artistry, in a sense that is even better and even more of a compliment. For me, the art I put into a film is a story telling tool, the art is a means to an end rather than an end in itself! I believe this to be true of all great art. BTW, I'm not saying what I do is great art of course, just that I try to follow the same basic principle.

I also think that I personally have less limitations to my film taste than mainstream audiences because I don't cut off over 50 years of cinema just because it was shot in black and white.

We all have personal tastes and biases and therefore a window of what we like and what we don't. Mainstream audiences also have a window and almost certainly on average a smaller window than yours. While your window is obviously the larger as it extends much further into the past and into foreign language films, it only overlaps a portion of the mainstream audience's window. The fact that huge numbers of the mainstream audience liked or even loved Transformers and you see it as having no aesthetic value is proof of this. I don't love Transformers either but I do have a considerable amount of appreciation for it. I don't love Nosferatu or Citizen Kane either, they are too slow, cliche'd and crude for my current tastes to engage me as a casual film viewer but as a filmmaker I have a tremendous amount of respect and appreciation for both of them.

I don't see why critics have to appreciate just about every film though... I guess one of our main differences is that I agree with what film criticism is currently representing for the most part while you believe that film critics (and any film experts) should embrace every film.

No, that's not what I believe. I believe that virtually every blockbuster contains a considerable amount of skill and artistry and this certainly deserves some appreciation but artistry and skill in some areas of the filmmaking process may not be enough to compensate for weaknesses in other areas and the overall end result might be a mediocre film. The problem arises in what criteria we use to judge what the strengths and weaknesses are, how we balance them and therefore whether we consider the film good, mediocre or bad. On a simplistic level, if a film engages me then I will consider it good but I will not necessarily consider a film which doesn't engage me as bad, maybe it's aimed at a very different target audience and is infact a very good film which just doesn't engage me personally. Avatar was given poor reviews by some critics and indeed by many on a thread here on IndieTalk. They weren't engaged by Avatar and therefore decided it was a bad film, the strengths of the CGI, sound design, music and many other areas were either ignored or viewed as cheap tinsel and were not enough to outweigh what they saw as a superficial and intellectually weak script and blatant commercialism. As an individual we can judge a film however we want but as a critic or a filmmaker we need to be judging a film in terms of it's target audience rather than in terms of our personal biases. This is because our personal biases are significantly influenced by factors such as our understanding of what it takes to make a film and/or of the history of filmmaking. These biases are quite different to the major demographic groups and could well be at odds with the resultant artistic intentions of the director making films for those demographics. In the case of Transformers for example, the director was aiming mainly at a target demographic of young teenagers to early 20 somethings. While a superficial plot obviously stopped some filmmakers, critics and film aficionados from engaging with the film, a deep, sophisticated or complex plot to please this tiny but vociferous demographic would have been the kiss of death to many of the target audience. Instead, the artistry was employed to engage the target audience, the script was written and re-written many times and the use of extremely complex models and hundreds of real vehicles and ground breaking CGI to tie it all together was needed to create a level of artistry and credibility demanded by an extremely technologically sophisticated demographic.

If Orson Welles was alive today he'd still be pushing the boundaries of films, but he wouldn't be making making mainstream films (since mainstream directors don't push boundaries).

I disagree on both counts. I think Orson Welles would be making mainstream films and blockbuster directors absolutely do push boundaries almost without exception! Just not necessarily the boundaries you personally value or are able to recognise or appreciate. As you've quoted it so negatively, Transformers is a good example.

I see myself making films for a limited audience and not with a huge budget.

The smaller the budget the lower the production values and the smaller you make your already limited target audience, which in turn impacts the marketing and makes theatrical distribution (which is already incredibly difficult) even more difficult, all of which combine to make your film economically un-viable. Which brings us back full circle to making films with commercial considerations.

I still think that the way sound is used is more important than the technology used.

The two are inseparable, without sound technology there is no sound. What advances in sound technology do, is provide the potential for greater credibility, more options to creatively manipulate the audience's emotional responses and therefore more potential to engage them in the storytelling. The technology just provides the potential though, it's up to the vision, artistry and skill of the Director and Sound Designer as to whether that potential is realised.

G

Last edited:
Sometimes IDK WTH the Studios Are Thinking

No kidding a "brutal revenge drama set in what appears to be a dreary, middle-of-nowhere [wherever] town" will do poorly at the theater.

Are these supposed to be Academy Award fodder, contract fulfillment films, or above line pet projects? :no:

Forecast: 'Furnace' to Get Burned by Holdovers 'Frozen,' 'Fire'
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3760&p=.htm
"Since 2010, the major studios have completely avoided scheduling new movies on the weekend after Thanksgiving, and instead it's fallen to smaller studios to fill the spot with edgy fare. Unfortunately, that hasn't worked out too well: Relativity's first movie, The Warrior's Way, bombed in 2010 ($3.05 million), while The Weinstein Company's Killing Them Softly didn't do much better last year ($6.8 million).

After playing at four locations on Wednesday and Thursday, Out of the Furnace will attempt to beat the post-Thanksgiving curse at 2,101 theaters. Unfortunately, the odds don't seem to be in its favor. Advertisements have positioned the movie as a brutal revenge drama set in what appears to be a dreary, middle-of-nowhere manufacturing town. While that may be an accurate portrayal, it's not a particularly appealing one to average moviegoers. With a mediocre 55 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, it's also going to have a tough time reaching discerning viewers who have a wealth of holdover choices this weekend.

Out of the Furnace's marketing is also relying on the drawing power of the cast, most notably Christian Bale. While Bale is coming off one of the biggest franchises ever (Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight series), it's unclear if he's much of a draw on his own. Also, Bale fans are likely aware that American Hustle is coming out in the immediate future, and may be inclined to wait to see him reunited with David O. Russell (who directed Bale's Oscar-winning performance in The Fighter).

Killing Them Softly, which opened to $6.8 million on the same weekend last year, was also a violent, dark crime movie starring an A-list actor (Brad Pitt). Out of the Furnace may open a bit higher than that movie's $6.8 million, though not by much."​

My apologies for the monolith of quote, but it all seemed relevant to the issue of "No kidding! WTH were the studios thinking?"

I mean "yeah!" technically these are films, but it's kind of obvious these things are not going to retail well per theater, meaning the only way the studios and distributors stand a chance of even breaking even is for wide release.

The Warrior's Way ← Period pieces are inherently expensive, BTW
A warrior-assassin is forced to hide in a small town in the American Badlands after refusing a mission.
1,622 theaters, $1,880 average

Domestic: $5,666,340 51.1%
+ Foreign: $5,421,229 48.9%
= Worldwide: $11,087,569
Production Budget: $42 million

Killing Them Softly
An enforcer hired to restore order after three dumb guys rob a Mob protected card game, causing the local criminal economy to collapse.
2,424 theaters, $2,811 average

Domestic: $15,026,056 39.6%
+ Foreign: $22,904,409 60.4%
= Worldwide: $37,930,465
Production Budget: $15 million

Out of the Furnace
When Rodney Baze mysteriously disappears and law enforcement fails to follow through, his older brother, Russell, takes matters into his own hands to find justice.
2,101 theaters, $895 average​

IDK.
Making these kinds of miserable films just seems fundamentally stupid from a business economics standpoint.
I'm sure there's a valid reason since most jobs are not as simple anymore as a layperson would like to believe.

Again, I find it difficult to see your justification for this comment. Can you name one neolithic cave painting that you would consider to be as "great" as say a Da Vinci, Turner or Picasso? The technology of the time provided an extremely limited number of methods, techniques, styles, colours, etc., with which to express oneself artistically and what was expressed generally appears to be very simplistic, maybe because societies were far more simplistic but also because the technology simply didn't provide the means to express more complex concepts. We can still appreciate neolithic art; for what it stands for, for the little it tells us and for when it was made but it seems incredibly naive and crude compared to paintings of the last few centuries. Technology is not something which is separate from art; culture, art and advances in technology are all intertwined and all influence each other. And in no art is this more true than in film, which through the combination of many other arts and of technology, represents by far the most sophisticated method humans have ever devised for storytelling. The problem with sophistication is that as culture and technology advances, what was once the height of sophistication becomes outdated and only fully appreciated by older sentimentalists, eventually a point is reached where it is perceived as naive and crude and it's ability to communicate disappears almost entirely except for a tiny few historians and extremists. While some extremists may believe that film reached it's pinnacle in say the "silent" era and wish that film development had stopped at that point, this view IMO completely misses the point of film as an artform!

Regardless of the quality of the lighting, cinematography, make up, set design or any of the other constituent arts in film, if a horror film fails to communicate any horror or engage the audience then it's a bad film. But as with all art, timing is everything! If I composed a symphony now in the style of Beethoven, it would either be completely ignored or at best criticised as derivative tosh but if I composed it before Beethoven then I'd be a household name and you may never had heard of the name Beethoven. If Van Gogh had painted his paintings in the 1940s he would probably be no more than a footnote in a local French newspaper about some Dutch nutter who cut off his own ear and then shot himself!

The technicalities of the filmmaking process or of it's constituent arts is irrelevant to anyone other than a filmmaker, just as the brushwork of Van Gogh might be of huge importance to other painters but not to the casual observer. What's important is how we perceive the end result and whether this process of perception is engaging. Indeed, the point of the impressionist movement was to aim at communicating the perceptual essence of reality rather than just recreating the actual reality. And so it is with film, what's important is how we tell the story, how well we engage and communicate with the audience.

No...! As with Nosferatu, certainly a great masterpiece but not timeless except in the sense of what was done, when it was done and how it influenced subsequent filmmakers. But without appreciating it's historical importance and judging it purely as a film, then it obviously isn't timeless because it wouldn't engage the overwhelming majority or communicate anything much beyond boredom, except to film historians, those interested in the process of filmmaking and some cinephiles.

That appears to be quite different to what you've said previously a number of times, that many commercial films are without any aesthetic or artistic value. Isn't stating that something has no aesthetic or artistic value the same as saying that it is "not art"?

But that's a good thing! My goal as a filmmaker is be a good storyteller and engage my audience. If my audience are considering the artistic merits of my film, the lighting or any other process then by definition they are not fully engaged in the film and I have to some significant degree failed as a filmmaker. If the audience consider the artistic merits of my film once the screening is over, that's OK but if they just really enjoyed the film, only discuss the story and don't even consider the artistry, in a sense that is even better and even more of a compliment. For me, the art I put into a film is a story telling tool, the art is a means to an end rather than an end in itself! I believe this to be true of all great art. BTW, I'm not saying what I do is great art of course, just that I try to follow the same basic principle.

We all have personal tastes and biases and therefore a window of what we like and what we don't. Mainstream audiences also have a window and almost certainly on average a smaller window than yours. While your window is obviously the larger as it extends much further into the past and into foreign language films, it only overlaps a portion of the mainstream audience's window. The fact that huge numbers of the mainstream audience liked or even loved Transformers and you see it as having no aesthetic value is proof of this. I don't love Transformers either but I do have a considerable amount of appreciation for it. I don't love Nosferatu or Citizen Kane either, they are too slow, cliche'd and crude for my current tastes to engage me as a casual film viewer but as a filmmaker I have a tremendous amount of respect and appreciation for both of them.

No, that's not what I believe. I believe that virtually every blockbuster contains a considerable amount of skill and artistry and this certainly deserves some appreciation but artistry and skill in some areas of the filmmaking process may not be enough to compensate for weaknesses in other areas and the overall end result might be a mediocre film. The problem arises in what criteria we use to judge what the strengths and weaknesses are, how we balance them and therefore whether we consider the film good, mediocre or bad. On a simplistic level, if a film engages me then I will consider it good but I will not necessarily consider a film which doesn't engage me as bad, maybe it's aimed at a very different target audience and is infact a very good film which just doesn't engage me personally. Avatar was given poor reviews by some critics and indeed by many on a thread here on IndieTalk. They weren't engaged by Avatar and therefore decided it was a bad film, the strengths of the CGI, sound design, music and many other areas were either ignored or viewed as cheap tinsel and were not enough to outweigh what they saw as a superficial and intellectually weak script and blatant commercialism. As an individual we can judge a film however we want but as a critic or a filmmaker we need to be judging a film in terms of it's target audience rather than in terms of our personal biases. This is because our personal biases are significantly influenced by factors such as our understanding of what it takes to make a film and/or of the history of filmmaking. These biases are quite different to the major demographic groups and could well be at odds with the resultant artistic intentions of the director making films for those demographics. In the case of Transformers for example, the director was aiming mainly at a target demographic of young teenagers to early 20 somethings. While a superficial plot obviously stopped some filmmakers, critics and film aficionados from engaging with the film, a deep, sophisticated or complex plot to please this tiny but vociferous demographic would have been the kiss of death to many of the target audience. Instead, the artistry was employed to engage the target audience, the script was written and re-written many times and the use of extremely complex models and hundreds of real vehicles and ground breaking CGI to tie it all together was needed to create a level of artistry and credibility demanded by an extremely technologically sophisticated demographic.

I disagree on both counts. I think Orson Welles would be making mainstream films and blockbuster directors absolutely do push boundaries almost without exception! Just not necessarily the boundaries you personally value or are able to recognise or appreciate. As you've quoted it so negatively, Transformers is a good example.

The smaller the budget the lower the production values and the smaller you make your already limited target audience, which in turn impacts the marketing and makes theatrical distribution (which is already incredibly difficult) even more difficult, all of which combine to make your film economically un-viable. Which brings us back full circle to making films with commercial considerations.

The two are inseparable, without sound technology there is no sound. What advances in sound technology do, is provide the potential for greater credibility, more options to creatively manipulate the audience's emotional responses and therefore more potential to engage them in the storytelling. The technology just provides the potential though, it's up to the vision, artistry and skill of the Director and Sound Designer as to whether that potential is realised.

G

Sure you say that there are no neolithic cave paintings that are "great" but then you mention Picasso and Da Vinci who are also 'old' painters. Surely most people are more likely to appreciate Da Vinci than most contemporary painters. I've always found it that in the world of visual art and classical music it has been easier for casual audiences to appreciate older works. Mozart is certainly more in demand than Stockhausen, and most people I know prefer Da Vinci to Jackson Pollack. I don't see what's wrong in my belief that I think that newer art is not inherently better than older art. Older art also isn't inherently better than newer art. Of course I believe that culture, technology, and art are all intertwined, but I don't think they directly influence the quality of a work. Talking about "silent" films, most people thought that the later silent films had more artistic merit than the early talkies. In Japan, many didn't want to move on from the great benshi era either.

I don't judge the quality of a film based on the reaction of the casual observer. I don't think that Nosferatu became a bad film when it ceased to frighten audiences. The film didn't change, the audience did. Nosferatu is timeless because people are still watching it long after it was released, and it even has an 8/10 on IMDb (a casual film viewer website) so not just film historians appreciate it.

I admit, I misworded a lot of my earlier comments. I don't think any film is completely without artistic merit or aesthetic value. Though I can't say most blockbusters have a lot of artistic merit (that I can appreciate).

It seems you love film as an illusion, and you want your audience to completely buy into the illusion. For a long time almost all filmmakers shared your view but if you look at the French New Wave (esp. Jean-Luc Godard) you see filmmakers starting to break that illusion through their filmmaking styles. I think that film viewers should be aware of cinematography, editing, lighting, sound, in order to appreciate film more.

What kind of films do engage you? Both Nosferatu and Citizen Kane engaged me, so did Gravity and Avatar. I'm also not a casual film viewer so I can't even imagine myself not being engaged by any of these films. I will say this, before I wouldn't be engaged by Citizen Kane or Nosferatu just because of my biases against black & white and "silent" films. After giving those types of films a fair chance I began to have a broader taste in film.

I just don't think critics should worry too much about preserving and analyzing most blockbuster films. I can't imagine a David Bordwell analyzing a Michael Bay film to every detail the way that he analyzes Yasujiro Ozu's films. I don't think Michael Bay makes films to be appreciated by critics, he makes films to please mainstream audiences. But if a critic happens to love Michael Bay or other commercial films like the French New Wave critics loved Hitchcock, then he/she should feel free to champion Bay's films. I do think that your idea of evaluating films based on their target audiences and goals is pretty interesting, but I think it applies more to film reviewers (like those on Rotten Tomatoes) than cinephiles or film critics (the ones who analyze films rather than review them).

I don't think anything points towards Orson Welles being a commercial filmmaker if he were alive today. He had a hard time finding distribution and none of his films were a big success except for The Stranger. His filmmaking style is also a lot more similar to most arthouse filmmakers today than commercial filmmakers today. I don't think that blockbusters usually push the boundaries of cinema as artistic expression but they do push technological boundaries of cinema.

Don't worry about it, I'll make economically un-viable films. Filmmakers in Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Taiwan, and the Phillipines have been doing it for years yet they have been doing the most (IMO) to push cinema as an art form in the past twenty years.

They are inseparable but it is the artistic use of the technology that is more important than the technology itself when the film is released. Trust me, if I made a Dolby mix for my film it wouldn't do any better than a good mono mix with my awful audio skills.

You seem to have completely ignored the last part of my post where I said that cinema already had its timeless masterpieces the same way music has the works of Beethoven and Mozart. Do you think cinema has had any timeless masterpieces?

Regardless, I think that as time goes on it will be shown that several films you consider to be "outdated" and "flawed" will continue to be screened, released on video, analyzed, and appreciated for many years after Michael Bay's films. Of course if someone composed in the style of Beethoven today it would be awful, but that doesn't mean Beethoven's music has no value. It's just the same, I don't want people to be making "silent" films or black & white films for the sake of copying old masters, but those old films should still be appreciated. If Citizen Kane weren't timeless then there wouldn't be so much effort put into championing it for generation after generation, preserving it, re-releasing it, and so on. I also think lesser known films are timeless and it's up to critics to discover them, analyze them, and champion them in order to preserve them. I never want to make it seem that there is a divide between "commercial" film and "arthouse" film though, I really believe there are masterpieces in each category. I think most "commercial" films and most "arthouse" films aren't good.

I think that film viewers should be aware of cinematography, editing, lighting, sound, in order to appreciate film more.

I disagree. During every good movie I've seen, I didn't focus on the cinematography. I don't care how good one element of a film is. I care about what the product is overall, and the talent that went behind combining those elements. All of my favorite films (Hunger, The Lives of Others, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Taxi Driver, etc.) had me so interested I forgot it was a film. I was sucked into the movie, and was so interested and pulled in by the characters and situations that I didn't notice great shots and good sound design techniques. I watched the film, and it did it's magic - entertain me.

Back