Storyboards.

I scanned over 700 story boards today. The sad part is that I have to draw at least 1500 more before I'm done. Then, my DP will have a whack at it.

:lol: I thought you said, 'joking aside.'

At OP: Sounds like a rough day but the tedious and repetitive aspects have to be done at some point :)

:)

I guess my post did have a jokey-tone, but it was meant to be sincere. My point was that the only reason to storyboard the whole damn thing is if you're making a VERY visual movie, like "300". Otherwise, I think shot-lists mostly perform quite admirably.

:)

I guess my post did have a jokey-tone, but it was meant to be sincere. My point was that the only reason to storyboard the whole damn thing is if you're making a VERY visual movie, like "300". Otherwise, I think shot-lists mostly perform quite admirably.

I know and idk why i found it so amusing.

And i second what you are saying. Complete, detailed storyboards of every shot are usually required for movies like Star Wars and such.

I'm approaching Directing much in the same way as I did writing; make up for my limited talent/experience with thoughtful planning and revisions.

You are correct, most live-action films are shot without being boarded. But, the Directors I admire most used boards extensively, so I'm going that route. I've been blessed with ability to draw and the experience to previs sequences in CG, as needed.

My intent is to shoot minimal coverage (with longer takes) with deliberate character blocking & compositions. This means, close collaboration with my DP. For me, in-camera editing requires some serious thought on my part, because I need to know what additional coverage I'll need (if any). The boards, cut to a scratch-track, will be the medium for us to discuss the shot list.

My day-job taught me:
1) Plan everything before going on set.
2) Once on set, most of the plans go out the window.
3) Once it's shot, it's shot.

- Thomas

My intent is to shoot minimal coverage (with longer takes) with deliberate character blocking & compositions. This means, close collaboration with my DP. For me, in-camera editing requires some serious thought on my part, because I need to know what additional coverage I'll need (if any). The boards, cut to a scratch-track, will be the medium for us to discuss the shot list.

If IT had a "like" button, I would be pressing it right now. I like your methods. I've never done them, and I may or may not ever will, but this kind of meticulous planning is very admirable. I look forward to seeing what you make of it. :yes:

Absolutely fair enough. I always say do whatever works for you permitting schedule, budget, resources etc.

Kubrick was still planning a Holocaust film. And while he planned, Spielberg went through pre, production, post and released Schindler's List. Kubrick then gave up his plans on the subject. But could Kubrick have made his films any other way? I don't know...

I must admit the urge to charge ahead and roll camera looms large, but I've literally seen Directors sobbing in the screening room; a direct result their refusal to do their homework in preproduction. "Poor execution" can't be fixed in post.

In terms of my own project, I'm prepared to live with almost any outcome except self-inflicted regret due to a failure to follow best practices as I understand them (what a mouth full).

So, are boards absolutely necessary? Perhaps not in a literal blueprint way. But I've come up with so many new ideas for dynamic compositions and relevant visual metaphors, I'm happy I've taken on this tedious and time consuming task.

Thomas

Last edited:
Boards can be great, especially for solidifying certain basic decisions early on and allowing yourself to focus on other aspects, as well as provide a decent jumping off point for extra creative endeavour.

Are they necessary or needed all the time? Probably not, but if that's the way you work..

I personally like to have storyboards during the shoot, even though I'm a one man band.
When we filmed Battle of the Pacific and Derailed, I would make tiny thumbnails with stick figures in the shotlist with basic blocking because I have a terrible memory. Plus I always work with inexperienced crew and everyone asks me 1000 questions so I typically don't have time to think about blocking on the set.

Storyboard your film!

I don't shoot without a serious set of boards.... In fact, normally I get the boards done, then drop them into an editing system, edit them for time and do some camera moves... I also insist on 1 or 2 table reads before shooting, I take those as recorded and drop them in. I add some simple effects and some temp music and I cut my film before I shoot. it takes some time up front but it saved my ass twice so far. It also helps when sitting in a pre-production meeting with DP, lighting designer, AD, Set Designer, Line producer, etc, etc.... and they can SEE what i want as the final result... no guessing... We also use Previz to sort out distance and lens selection....

do we stick to this as bible.... nope. but we go in with everyone having a common and agreed upon vision. I can't tell you how many times i've sat in production meetings and a director explains a shot, only to have everyone think they understand... and then, on set... they all, understand perfectly... differently. :weird:

Storyboard the hell out of your project... it'll be better for it in the end! :yes:

I'm attaching a link to an animatic made from some boards for the opening scene of a film i'm working on now. These are a set of boards I created with my storyboard artist. We dropped them into FCP, added some effects... we didn't do dialogue on this particular scene as it is more action oriented. We just added some effects and music to pull it together. ( I also don't want to give away the film...just yet.)

Storyboard example

cheers
geo

Last edited:
Back