Staying in contact w/ crew...online forumish type thing?

Doing a film for school and got a crew of 10. I'm trying to look for some sort of free place to be able to talk about pre production and production stuff. Emailing has gotten confusing with people not always hitting 'reply all', making new emails, etc.

I dont wanna make everyone get on the same email (google seems good but not everyone has it). Just need an easy way for people to post stuff, and attach pics, documents etc.

You could make a facebook group. That way discussions can be made and kept in their proper place. Members can upload photos. And pretty much everyone has a facebook page these days.

Also, from what I hear about google docs, it might suit your purposes.

If you know people with it, get invited to Google Wave.

Or you can make a basic forum for free with here.

Both are great ways of communicating to a group of people and of course, getting feedback.

People who don't have Gmail accounts can still access items on Google Docs. Just make it accessible with a link. No one needs to login that way. You have a few choices when you set up a document on Google Docs. All you need after you've created or uploaded the document is to choose:

Share >
Get the Link to Share >
Allow anyone with the link to view (no sign-in required).

You'll see the link at the bottom of the dialogue box and can copy it there for sending. Or you can email the doc from your document list. Anytime you click on the share button of that document, you will see the link.

You can also invite only specific people with any email address (not only Gmail) and I do believe they won't need to login either, because I think they all get unique links when invited, but I'm not sure about that.

Google Docs is a good way to go. Most of the indie projects I've worked on have used it.

HTH!

Doing a film for school and got a crew of 10. I'm trying to look for some sort of free place to be able to talk about pre production and production stuff. Emailing has gotten confusing with people not always hitting 'reply all', making new emails, etc.

I dont wanna make everyone get on the same email (google seems good but not everyone has it). Just need an easy way for people to post stuff, and attach pics, documents etc.

Actually I think Facebook would be most convenient - everyone checks it.
Not true. I would ask first if everyone in your crew is on Facebook. Lots of folks I know are emphatically not interested in having a FB account. It's such a timesuck.
However, if it's Google Wave vs Google Docs, then definitely Wave.
What the heck is Google Wave? Not heard of this before, I'll have to check it out. Most people I know utilize Google Docs - even in Europe.

Back