Special Effects Question and General Rambling

Hi all, my partner and I have been re-writing our first screenplay, and discussing how we're going to film the movie. I've been studyiing special effects for about six years now, primarily working with latex, making casts and molds, vacuum-forming, things like that as well as prop construction, mostly just for fun in my spare time.

Now I find a need to learn about squibs and some of the more "dangerous" effects. I don't have time or money to attend school again right now, with all my efforts focused on the film. What should I do? We've talked about hiring someone, but we'd really like to use that money for some other things we have in the works (film related, of course). So, should I study what I can and experiment? Or should we bite the bullet and pay a professional to do it.

Keep in mind that I handeled and worked with HIGH explosives on a regular basis during my military service. (I actually considered hiring out as a freelance military adviser for the film industry, but I want to make my own movies even more!) Come to think of it, if any of you guys ever need any military advice on a project you're working on, feel free to ask. I'd love to help. I also studied psychology at Honolulu U., and history online through the University of Texas. Uncle Sam actually PAID me to hang out in Hawaii for four years!

And now I'll stop rambling, as I tend to do when I've been imbibing my favorite vice.

Last edited:
Squibs are an explosive and (as you know) highly regulated. I don't know
the laws in Georgia regarding transporting, handling and using explosives,
but I imagine they aren't too different than they are here in California.

Using squibs isn't just about what to study - thought that is a very important
aspect of getting licensed to use them. I wouldn't advise experimenting.
Using high explosives in the military is very different than using squibs on
an actors body. Squibs are surprisingly dangerious.

My assumption is that without a license you cannot use squibs in Georgia.
I know you can't buy them or transport or store them without one. So it
looks like you're option is to hire someone with a license.

Aside from the safety aspect, one thing people often overlook is that hiring (ie: paying) a good effects supervisor will more often then not end up saving you money in the end, because they'll be able to help you get your shots done on time/budget/etc..

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think this is a truly stupid question. My partner and I talked it over, and we've decided to hire a pyrotechnics expert, and I'll handle the other effects. Thanks for the insight, guys.

Last edited:
I was gonna throw that advice out myself.

Because it sounds to me like the money for an expert would be well worth being spared the potential headaches that would emerge trying to do it yourself.

And I would imagine you'd want to keep the stress down as far as humanly possible.

Heh.

The other question you might want to ask yourself is whether a squid is what you need to achieve the effect you're looking for.

Squibs provide a particular kind of visual and are particularly good at creating bullet strikes on sets and objects... but, there are many other ways of creating a similar, in some cases better looking visual. Some are production based and some are post production based.

What I suggest is you read DV Rebel first. It might give you some alternative ways to look at things.

The other question you might want to ask yourself is whether a squid is what you need to achieve the effect you're looking for.

I sure don't know what a squid is going to do to help him, but I would just LOVE to see one explode on an actor's chest! ;)

Back