• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound lost for a scene, can't re-shoot, what do I do?

Hi everyone,
I'm directing an independent film, we're on the tail end of filming now. We finished filming a party scene (with some important dialogue) last night. I just heard this morning that the audio mixer was left in an unlocked car and stolen. The sound we recorded for the party scene and another scene in a grocery store had not been backed up yet and was lost along with the mixer. Re-shooting the scenes on location is a last resort and might not even be possible. What else can we do? My first guess is to get the actors together and re-record the sound only for the scenes and try to match it with the footage we have, but I know that's going to be difficult, especially to make it look natural when we try to sync the new audio with the old video. We have been filming digital, though. If you have any advice or tips or tricks at all for how to deal with this situation, please help! I'm already expecting it to be a difficult process, so if you know anything that can make it easier please let me know. Thanks a lot. :tear:

Yeah, ADR is your only option, or cut the scenes.. or edit them so they are visual only..

Hopeful you have lots of "reaction" and cutaway shots so you can edit the scene to cover any out of sync stuff you cant other wise fix..

Happened to us once. Lost an entire day's shooting with ~20 people in sub-freezing weather.

No sound. None. Not a peep.

We ended up using a few seconds of the shoot in a flashback scene - silent, of course.

Serious bummer.

Back