Sorry, Cracker Funk

I don't think HDTV was ever a novelty, actually. I consider them to be completely different entities.

I agree - HDTV was much rarer, much more expensive not long ago ,but that's to be expected with every new technology. If we ignore the economics side of it though, HDTV offered a much improved experience to the viewer, with no change in how they watched things and none of the funny glasses, light loss and dulled colours that current 3D technology offers.

Nothing ruffles feathers like the ol' 3D debate! :D

The trouble is that this sort of discussion happens in every thread that vaugely relates to 3D and the actual argument becomes very disrupted and confused. The article is saying 'Why 3D Movies are Bad' which, whilst it is obviously a contributing factor, is not the same as 'Why 3D movies won't catch on'.

Saying that 3D will be everywhere in 20 years is one thing, but that's not the same as saying that right now 3D is being applied correctly. I think that the evidence at the moment suggests that they are still struggling to use it with subtlety.

Yes, Avatar and Toy Story 3 were very beautiful but the problems are illustrated most acutely in the point that was raised earlier. If you go see a 3D movie (one where it shows on more 3D screens than 2D ones and is marketed as a 3D movie) then whilst the viewing experience is not a million miles away, you can see the 3D moments. There are times when you're watching it where you think 'Hmm, that looks odd, I guess that was put in for 3D'. Maybe it's someone throwing a rock or falling from a cliff, but the fact is is that 3D still works best when it is used in the most obvious ways: throwing stuff out, falling down and flying towards.

Why do you assume this? Strange.

Because you wouldn't be contradicting me. You'd have the same superior position when it comes to unannounced products and technologies in development. We had some of the very first CRT based HDTVs and rear projection TVs in our labs. That was long before there was any mainstream content to drive them. Hence, "novelty" for a long while.

It is a strange assumption. I haven't been working in the graphics industry for over 19 years

Pray tell, what do you do? ;)

Last edited:
I agree - HDTV was much rarer, much more expensive not long ago ,but that's to be expected with every new technology. If we ignore the economics side of it though, HDTV offered a much improved experience to the viewer, with no change in how they watched things and none of the funny glasses, light loss and dulled colours that current 3D technology offers.

Dull colors are primarily from Analglyph. Avatar was quite vivid, especially in IMAX.

Pray tell, what do you do? ;)
Meaning I've never worked in the graphics industry in my life ;)

Dull colors are primarily from Analglyph. Avatar was quite vivid, especially in IMAX.
I've watched it in 2D on 35mm and in RealD - the latter seemed duller to me, though it wasn't a very scientific test, admittedly. I can't seem to dig the article out now, but I remember reading how they had to output loads of different colour variations for Avatar, because of inconsistencies between different screens and projection methods, something which could present problems for 3D films in the future that haven't got such a massive budget.

Meaning I've never worked in the graphics industry in my life ;)

I've watched it in 2D on 35mm and in RealD - the latter seemed duller to me, though it wasn't a very scientific test, admittedly. I can't seem to dig the article out now, but I remember reading how they had to output loads of different colour variations for Avatar, because of inconsistencies between different screens and projection methods, something which could present problems for 3D films in the future that haven't got such a massive budget.

Well, all things are relative, I suppose. Nothing irritates me more (thanks to having a trained eye for video related issues) than going into a theater and seeing projection problems. Screen is a factor, ambient lighting is a factor, theater size and distance from the projector, improper calibration, improper focus... I've seen them all.

My local favorite theater (all digital) had a showtime for The Social Network that wasn't convenient because a couple of our friends were late. So we were relegated to the nearby Cinemark where I've experienced problems before with presentation. It was an analog print. Horribly scratched, blotched in places, dusty, the center audio channel was too low relative to the surround channels, the bottom half of the image was out of focus....

I've even seen projection issues at the same IMAX where Avatar was near perfect in presentation. Iron Man 2 had really bad strobing. And it wasn't even in 3D. I was very disappointed because it detracted significantly from my enjoyment of the movie.

That is one thing I dearly miss about living near Los Angeles. The presentation quality of the films overall is far superior out there, even in the budget theaters.

@VPT Last movie I saw at The Americana in LA had a blown left mid and tweeter.

And the theater before that had a slap-back echo (hard paneling used in the theater) which made all of the dialogue sound as though it was in an alleyway between 2 tall brick buildings.

But Chinese Man's original theater is by far the best theater I have ever been in for sound.

@VPT Last movie I saw at The Americana in LA had a blown left mid and tweeter.

And the theater before that had a slap-back echo (hard paneling used in the theater) which made all of the dialogue sound as though it was in an alleyway between 2 tall brick buildings.

But Chinese Man's original theater is by far the best theater I have ever been in for sound.

Ah, okay. Guess quality has gone downhill in the last 17 years or so since I've been in Texas. :no:

LOL!

Cinema's sound systems are mostly a joke.

A director I just worked with asked me to go preview a reel at a theater his peers would be watching it in (4AM, you're welcome) and sure enough the cals on the sound were horrible. It sounds good now, but just horrible standards are out there.

Back