Sorry, Cracker Funk

I agree with Cracker that 3D is box office gold and is manna from heaven to the masses...

That said I think it is not a good thing for filmmaking as a whole and not something that I like. But certainly it adds to the way that the films are made and viewed.

How can 3D not contribute to a story like he is saying Color does?

I didn't say 3D doesn't contribute to a story? Besides, I'm sure there are films shot in black and white where I'd argue that colour doesn't contribute to the story. There are fantastic films made in black and white, in colour, in 2D and in 3D - I just think it's churlish to say people are categorically wrong because they don't see things the same way as you.

Anyway, of the ones I can remember - I think the use of 3D in Toy Story was fantastic; having watched Avatar again in 2D I don't think it made much difference to my enjoyment of it; Final Destination's use of 3D was entertaining but gimmicky, and ultimately added nothing to the story.

Chilipie, your choice of choosing churlish is changing my cherished opinion of you :(

Could you write me a list of pre-aproved descriptors? :P

Maybe I was a bit harsh… I just think saying it's wrong to dislike 3D is like saying it's wrong to dislike the look of digital video, or the 2.35:1 aspect ratio, or using shallow depth of field - all perfectly valid artistic and technical choices, and while everyone has their preferences, cinema wouldn't be interesting if we all agreed :)

heh,

when going to the movies is like being immersed into a virtual reality world where you make your own choices to how the story unfolds with full tactile, olfactory and sensory perceptics - I'll laugh at the people who wanted to keep movies 2D :)

I get enough tactile, olfactory and sensory experiences when I walk down the Edgware Road...

If the ultimate goal of cinema is to completely replicate the experience of real life in movie theatres (even if it is real life on Pandora) then we're in for some serious changes...

...But I don't think that that is the point.

...But I don't think that that is the point.

A million times THIS.

Films were already in 3D. They had perspective, depth, clarity and a sense of scale. Making a few things pop out of the screen (which does nothing for the story) is a completely trivial addition aimed at people who like gimmicks and people who are easily impressed.

3-D isn't a bad thing :D In my opinion its where its used, what movie.

A movie like Avatar is a good place to use 3-D. So is Alice in Wonderland or Night At The Opera or Jurassic Park. 3-D can enhance the experience of being in an unusual world.

When 3-D is used in a Dance movie, like Step Up. That's when 3-D is a bad idea. Not only bad, its stupid.

-- spinner :cool:

lol can someone post a link to the previous arguments we have had on this subject. It's been battled before.

And Nick,

Please apply what your Avatar says...

Me, make choices as to how the story unfolds? But I'm an idiot!

Seriously though, I think smell-o-vision would be a more welcome addition than 3D. No need for funky glasses, and there seems to be quite a bit of research showing how strongly our olfactory sensors are linked to the parts of the brain that deal with emotion, which could make them very powerful.

And Nick - as ROC says, will you please stop making t-shirts! (I think that's what he's saying.)

A million times THIS.

Films were already in 3D. They had perspective, depth, clarity and a sense of scale. Making a few things pop out of the screen (which does nothing for the story) is a completely trivial addition aimed at people who like gimmicks and people who are easily impressed.

That's just a silly statement to make, because now you're telling me why I like something -- appearantly, I like gimmicks and am easily impressed. I dunno, maybe I should be able to speak for myself?

Does Dolby Digital surround sound add to the story? Would you call that a gimmick? How about a large, crystal clear screen (not that big-screen TV, but that BIG screen, in the movie theater)? Does that add to the story? Would you call that a gimmick?

Am I easily impressed by gimmicks if I prefer to see my movies on the big-screen, with good surround-sound? How is 3D any different. You don't have to like it, but I do. I think it pulls you into the movie, the same way that a large screen, and good surround-sound do. If you think that's gimmickery, fine, but I'd say if that's the case, your viewpoint is quite narrow.

I’m really let down by the lack of bickering and heated debate in this thread so far.
It’s like… (sniffles) it’s like you guys don’t even care anymore!

Cracker, please bust a beer bottle on someone’s head (Even if it’s your own) and yell “I love Avatar!”

Chili, if you have a pool cue handy could you find it in your heart to just start swinging it around like trying to bust open a piñata?

Grand Upper, is there any where near you to rent a civil war cannon? If you live you’ll probably be reimbursed.

Everyone else, I just want to go on record as saying you have cooties.

Now let’s get in there and mix it up people!

-Thanks-

I’m really let down by the lack of bickering and heated debate in this thread so far.
It’s like… (sniffles) it’s like you guys don’t even care anymore!

Cracker, please bust a beer bottle on someone’s head (Even if it’s your own) and yell “I love Avatar!”

Chili, if you have a pool cue handy could you find it in your heart to just start swinging it around like trying to bust open a piñata?

Grand Upper, is there any where near you to rent a civil war cannon? If you live you’ll probably be reimbursed.

Everyone else, I just want to go on record as saying you have cooties.

Now let’s get in there and mix it up people!

-Thanks-

Lol. I didn't see any of it as bickering. I'm not angry at Grand Upper; I just disagree with his logic, and that's okay (and I never felt he was trying to insult me; I just don't think his latest point is valid, and that's just healthy debate, in my opinion). And I think chili and ROC were just messing with each other. Right?

Though, I do appreciate your attempt to negotiate a truce. You're okay in my book, Buddy!

Group hug. No bad feelings on my end; hope there's none on anybody elses.

Cheers! :)

I gotta get back to work (I just got home a couple hours ago; my job is nuts, sometimes).

Well, that's what comes from working in a pistachio factory.

*gets coat*

:lol:

I love you guys!

Grand Upper, I disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not a nazi (my new favorite Jon Stewart quote). I love you, too.

Okay, now I'm leaving. And this time I mean it.

I rented a cannon, but I'm going to take it back (I have a 48 hours returns policy) because I'm not going to change my mind on 3D and neither is 'Funk. He thinks it adds to the immersion, I think it damages it considerably.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

It’s good to discuss and debate and disagree, and in the end I feel that I’ve learned something important from all of this. (A 48 hour return policy on a cannon is the way to go. ) :lol:

-Thanks-

Back