• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sony Vegas and an aminmation software?

I am interested in incorporating animation into editing something. Is there a software like Toonboom or something that works with Vegas? I have asked this question to various animated software companies but no one ever responded.

I want to create something animated and mix it with footage I have. But it seems not everything will work with Vegas. Or perhaps I am wrong on that.

I would download a trial of it, once I find one that may work.

Thanks.
K

Synfig will output PNG files and you can easily drop it into Vegas. Blender is 3D and it will do the same. All you do is set the duration of an image in your preferences simply divide 1 by the number of frames per second and that will give you the time.

You can export/render out of toonboom and import that into Vegas. I think you maybe talking about doing a composite. If you have TB, you can import your footage into it (like you were going to rotoscope it) and create the animation. Export just the animation (not the footage) and edit everything together in Vegas.

Two formats that work best with Vegas are animated giffs and laayered psd or Photoshop files.

I used to have an animator make transparent cells with Photoshop with transparent layers and import them into Vegas and layer them over a video layer of backgrounds. That works the same way, pretty much, as old fashion cell animation.

Thanks guys.

Indie Budget, I don't what you mean by divide 1 by the number of frames. Perhaps thats something I will figure out when I get into animation.

What I have in mind is creating an animated charactor that moves...transfer it to Vegas pro..and fill in the background with real life footage. So maybe I would have a cartoon charactor flying a real airplane or a cartoon charactor walking along a real beach...that sort of thing.

I dont know what MDM is doing, but an animated gif file has a limited palete (its designed for use on the web) and is not the format you want to work with, and psd files are photoshop files. IndieBudget's recommedation is correct, a .png sequence will give you correct color information and an alpha channel.

You would want to shoot your footage before you do the animation so you have reference of where and what youre interacting with.

Okay so I checked something out on youtube...meanwhile I am doing a trial download of Adobe After Effects cs5.5 Geeze. I began downloading it last night and its still downloading it. I checked something out on their 'help' and it said to be patient because downloading to windows takes a long time.My gosh I never downloaded anything that took this long...it began last night about 9pm and nows its about 730am. Is this normal? It has a little notation that says 12-17 hours...that cant be true! But it must be. Its just a 30 day trial.

I just checked it out again...it now says it has about 18 hours to go! It went from last night showing between 12-17 to 18 hours this am. I remember I did a trial download for Vegas pro and that took, what, minuets? Seriously though, is this normal????

Last edited:
It was for a web animation with the animated giff.

With the layered psds, that was for a DVD project. I had an animator draw individual frames with a Wacom pad and import it into Photoshop to digitize it. With transparent backgrounds, it worked out like cell animation, layering the characters over another video layer of background.

Okay so I checked something out on youtube...meanwhile I am doing a trial download of Adobe After Effects cs5.5 Geeze. I began downloading it last night and its still downloading it. I checked something out on their 'help' and it said to be patient because downloading to windows takes a long time.My gosh I never downloaded anything that took this long...it began last night about 9pm and nows its about 730am. Is this normal? It has a little notation that says 12-17 hours...that cant be true! But it must be. Its just a 30 day trial.

I just checked it out again...it now says it has about 18 hours to go! It went from last night showing between 12-17 to 18 hours this am. I remember I did a trial download for Vegas pro and that took, what, minuets? Seriously though, is this normal????

It sounds like your download is stalled. If you normally have a pretty quick connection, try canceling and downloading again. Your 30 days won't start unil you open the installed program for the first time and pick "demo".

I import PSD's often into Premiere and After Effects projects. Because it's all Adobe it handles it great and gives me lots of layer and layer style options. For image sequences, I tend to stick with a high quality JPG or PNG if I need an alpha.

It doesn't seem to install. I went to live help and the fellow did help but wrote it would take an hour. Three hours later, nothing. Actually the guy at the live help said they have many problems with people downloading it. Too bad. I would have liked to try it and buy it if I could use it...but I can't so I wont. I think I will try something else then.

I finall got cs5.5 downloaded for a trial. I am really trying to add some pizzaze to video editing in Vegas. I have seen some videos that had animation mixed with real life and it was stated that they used cs5.5.
So much to learn so little time to try it.
I am trying to find a very beginers 'class' on youtube but many of them seem to start off as though I have some experience in it.
Aside from getting the footage up on the screen, thats it. I was fooling around with some stuff but so far I haven't seen anything that I can't do in Vegas.
Is there a good youtube source to go to for beginners? Somewhere where they can show me all the things I can do with this one footage as an example?

Thanks
k

I have seen some videos that had animation mixed with real life and it was stated that they used cs5.5.

This was happening well before 5.5, and not only with AEFX. Don't limit yourself.

The right tool for the right job, eh?

I am trying to find a very beginers 'class' on youtube

Check your local Community College, or similar resource.

If they have an a/v department (and they should!), you get access to an actual person who can teach you to use specific software. Not only that, but the class will have other similar people in it. (lol networking?) A/V is interactive... learn through it.

Whenever Adobe does a major change to their software suites, I hit the local CC. It's a low cost, and a big refresher course on the old... and a quick course on what's new. :cool:

You can also qualify for Educational versions of software, too. Save a buck or twelve. :)

Back