Song Lyric to Script

How common or uncommon is it for a full-length film--not a music video--to be developed around the lyrics of a specific song? Thanks.

There have been a few films made for songs.

Right off the top of my head I think of Jailhouse Rock, Harper Valley PTA,
Earth Girls Are Easy, Jolene, Convoy and Born in East L.A. Some novelty
songs were made into movies like Take This Job and Shove it.

Not really common but not uncommon either.

Oh, yes. Now, I remember. I just thought of another--Dolly's "9 to 5." Seems like a very straight forward way to come up with a script and have some of the music from the get go. Do you think most film people prefer to use scripts written from "scratch" or scripts based upon novels and other available sources? I am guessing it has something to do with which script writers the producer and director already know?

Last edited:
I just thought of another--Dolly's "9 to 5."

That was written for the film.

Just be careful; getting the rights to a song can be VERY expensive, at least at the indie level. For one project on which I worked they wanted to use "The Middle" by Jimmy Eats World. They wanted $10,000 plus a ridiculous amount of points.

Led Zeppelin declined to let them use "Dazed and Confused" for the film of the same name. They have regretted it ever since. But that was a "big" budget film.

Best one I saw was the entire lyrics to Bon Jovi Livin' On A Prayer made into a short. Was a guy and girl in a vehicle having a conversation from what I remember. (Was prob the verses)

That was written for the film.

Just be careful; getting the rights to a song can be VERY expensive, at least at the indie level. For one project on which I worked they wanted to use "The Middle" by Jimmy Eats World. They wanted $10,000 plus a ridiculous amount of points.

Led Zeppelin declined to let them use "Dazed and Confused" for the film of the same name. They have regretted it ever since. But that was a "big" budget film.
Oh. I see how that could happen either way--song first or write a song for a film. Yes. I am aware of issues with rights. As a musician, I am brainstorming ways I might be able to work with an indie film maker. So, in this case, if an indie producer or director had general concepts in place but needed more fleshing out and couldn't afford an experienced script writer, I would consider submitting a demo of my script skills, based upon the lyrics to one of my songs and charge small fees for writing the script and using my song in the film. I am much quicker at coming up with dialogue than I am recording several instrument tracks for each song. I understand that funding is often an issue for independents of all types.

Oh, yes. Now, I remember. I just thought of another--Dolly's "9 to 5." Seems like a very straight forward way to come up with a script and have some of the music from the get go.
As Alcove Audio already mentioned "9 to 5" was a song written for the
movie, not a movie developed around a song. There are SO many of
those; all the Bond title songs for example.
Do you think most film people prefer to use scripts written from "scratch" or scripts based upon novels and other available sources? I am guessing it has something to do with which script writers the producer and director already know?
I don't think film people have a preference. We like scripts based on novels
because of the recognition factor. Movies based on a hit songs have
instant recognition. That helps with marketing and building an audience.
As a musician, I am brainstorming ways I might be able to work with an indie film maker. So, in this case, if an indie producer or director had general concepts in place but needed more fleshing out and couldn't afford an experienced script writer, I would consider submitting a demo of my script skills, based upon the lyrics to one of my songs and charge small fees for writing the script and using my song in the film.
Not a bad idea at all. Having a good script to show your skill as a writer can be very
helpful.

Back