Some of the actors may not understand the short film I am casting for.

I took the advice on here before and currently have been doing casting calls for a scene from a feature. I was told to do a scene from a feature I wrote, as practice. But when I do the casting call, I haven't gotten hardly any responses, and I think the actors may not understand the intention.

One of them said they did not see the point to just one scene, as oppose to a whole movie. So should I explain that it's for a feature, and it's just practice to work on our craft, or how should I advertise it? Cause I want to put up some more calls, to get more people interested.

Thanks.

H44 you can think for yourself right?

Since you're just filming one scene, it makes sense that a lot of actors would not want to be involved. And how is your showreel? If you had a great showreel it would help since they at least could hopefully get some good footage for their own showreel when you film the scene - they would see you could produce quality work and would therefore be more likely to want to be involved.

Personally, I would not be involved. I would not have done a casting call. I would have simply involved my friends and asked them to be stand-in actors. This is basically film making practice for you - the most an actor could get out of it is hopefully some useful footage for their showreel, that's not a lot to tempt people with. I guess they would get experience too but you're very new to the game as a director.

If you don't have enough friends or they do not want to be involved then do a casting and tell people you will be doing the whole movie at a later point - which is true.

Last edited:
Do it as showreel material - for them and for you. For 2 hours of their time, they get a scene for their showreel and you get practice and a scene for your showreel.

20100108063328!Exploding-head.gif

I took the advice on here before and currently have been doing casting calls for a scene from a feature. I was told to do a scene from a feature I wrote, as practice. But when I do the casting call, I haven't gotten hardly any responses, and I think the actors may not understand the intention.

One of them said they did not see the point to just one scene, as oppose to a whole movie. So should I explain that it's for a feature, and it's just practice to work on our craft, or how should I advertise it? Cause I want to put up some more calls, to get more people interested.

I suspect it has more to do with your approach or your reputation (or both).

The first time I had anything to do with casting, the people I was talking to didn't know me and most (if not all) hadn't heard of me. These were people who auditioned for a role, failed and were being offered a minor role. I was getting grilled for 30 minutes for most of them over the role before they accepted.

A couple of projects later, as they already knew me, when I came calling again for them, they accepted within a minute of talking. Perhaps I learned how to approach it better or they had confidence in how I worked. Maybe they just aren't interested in your project?

I've tried getting friends, quite a few times now, but they are never available. Friends are good for hanging out with, but they are not going to make the time to commit to something like this, even though it's just one scene. They don't have it in them.

So I need to try to find actors who have the drive. As far as a showreel goes, I only have the one short film so far, and I have helped others on their projects. My reputation could be at steak where I live since that short did not turn out well. I also acted in a feature this year, and the filmmakers of that wanted to use the actors from my short so I got a few of them for it. That feature turned out bad too, so those actors are now bumbed out, and I need to find fresh meat, but after no projects that turned out well so far.

So I need to try to find actors who have the drive. As far as a showreel goes, I only have the one short film so far, and I have helped others on their projects. My reputation could be at steak where I live since that short did not turn out well. I also acted in a feature this year, and the filmmakers of that wanted to use the actors from my short so I got a few of them for it. That feature turned out bad too, so those actors are now bumbed out, and I need to find fresh meat, but after no projects that turned out well so far.

How bad were they? I mean, really? Is it worse than "did not turn out well" ??

Anything I could do specifically, besides make more casting calls?

I don't want you to take this the wrong way. I've read a lot of your posts. I swear, I have so much brain damage coming from the times I've slammed my forehead into the table after reading your multiple posts.

I think the issue is you. There are certain people who others don't want to work with:
A). People who make your life much harder than it needs to be.
B). Know it all's who really, who in the end really don't know much.
C). Unmotivating people who suck the life and energy out of every situation. Those who make you feel the only way to end the pain us to end your own life or the life of who's causing this distress.
D). Darwin Awards candidates.
E). Those who don't have a realistic view of themselves.

It's hard to put together a team. If you fit into any of these categories you're going to find it even harder to put teams together. Since you fall into multiple of these categories, you're going to find it almost impossible.

I don't say this to be mean, I say this as you need to take a good, serious hard look at who you are. You have both passion and a very thick skin. These are two very important attributes when it comes to filmmaking. You need to work on a lot of self-development and then work on your filming skills.

The positive thing is I think you can make it work. You have potential. I suggest you concentrate on what you most want to do and make that work before you even consider moving on to another area. There are people who can do it all. From everything that I've seen, you're not one of those people. You're going to have to work hard to make it work.

You're a little like me in the sense that you're your own worst enemy.

How bad were they? I mean, really? Is it worse than "did not turn out well" ??

I don't want you to take this the wrong way. I've read a lot of your posts. I swear, I have so much brain damage coming from the times I've slammed my forehead into the table after reading your multiple posts.

I think the issue is you. There are certain people who others don't want to work with:
A). People who make your life much harder than it needs to be.
B). Know it all's who really, who in the end really don't know much.
C). Unmotivating people who suck the life and energy out of every situation. Those who make you feel the only way to end the pain us to end your own life or the life of who's causing this distress.
D). Darwin Awards candidates.
E). Those who don't have a realistic view of themselves.

It's hard to put together a team. If you fit into any of these categories you're going to find it even harder to put teams together. Since you fall into multiple of these categories, you're going to find it almost impossible.

I don't say this to be mean, I say this as you need to take a good, serious hard look at who you are. You have both passion and a very thick skin. These are two very important attributes when it comes to filmmaking. You need to work on a lot of self-development and then work on your filming skills.

The positive thing is I think you can make it work. You have potential. I suggest you concentrate on what you most want to do and make that work before you even consider moving on to another area. There are people who can do it all. From everything that I've seen, you're not one of those people. You're going to have to work hard to make it work.

You're a little like me in the sense that you're your own worst enemy.

Well that short I posted on here before was described ranging from not bad, to unwatchable, depending on who watched it. The feature I acted in and helped out with turned out bad though. One friend I tried to to show it, turned it off after the first scene, and he said he refused to watch the rest, it was put together so badly. Others said some scenes turned out bad, some okay.

I don't know if the problem is me. I tried shooting a short earlier this year, that did not end up getting started. The DP told me that I was being too picky, and that I need to let the DP do the video and his/her way. But I thought the director does get some say in the sound and cinematography of the scenes. I don't think I was being picky as their were several details s/he left unchecked that should not have been when it comes to a DPs job. I just didn't want it to turn out poor. But maybe I need to allow some flexibility, which I am comfortable with, just so long as the person has attention to detail.

I will try working on my self development when it comes to attempting to do another casting and crew call, which I am doing right now in fact. Perhaps I need to write my adds differently too, but I don't think that is the main problem... That same DP also told me I need to work on being a better bulls$&t-er when it comes to selling myself as well.

Last edited:
H44, my specific advice to you:

1) Make fewer general requests (here) for advice. For some reason, you feel the need to debate or attempt to debunk the good advice of others.

2) You are in desperate need of guidance. Seek out a mentor ('a' meaning one). Find someone you respect and ask if you may assist them. H44, listen to them and do as they tell you. Do not debate, discuss or complain. Just do it. Keep your thoughts to yourself and be the best disciple you can.

H44, I'm not condescending to you. Based on your posts on this forum, I think you need to step back, speak less and respectfully observe some more.

If you earn the respect of your mentor, you are well on the way to building a new reputation.

Thomas

I don't know if the problem is me.

It is. Trust me, it is. No, no. It really is.

I tried shooting a short earlier this year, that did not end up getting started. The DP told me that I was being too picky, and that I need to let the DP do the video and his/her way. But I thought the director does get some say in the sound and cinematography of the scenes. I don't think I was being picky as their were several details s/he left unchecked that should not have been when it comes to a DPs job. I just didn't want it to turn out poor. But maybe I need to allow some flexibility, which I am comfortable with, just so long as the person has attention to detail.

What you don't realize it the problem came from your decisions before you got to the point where you had the trouble. By then, you were already in a lose/lose situation.

If you're the person in charge and it doesn't work, you're the person to blame. Plain and simple. The bucks stops with the boss, plain and simple. Someone sabotaged the project, it's due to your choice to bring them on to the project. Someone else brought them on the project? You're still at fault for bringing that other person on and for letting the issue grow.

You're never going to be a real leader until you're at the point where you accept responsibility for your productions, the actions and the outcome of your cast and crew.

I will try working on my self development when it comes to attempting to do another casting and crew call, which I am doing right now in fact. Perhaps I need to write my adds differently too, but I don't think that is the main problem... That same DP also told me I need to work on being a better bulls$&t-er when it comes to selling myself as well.

First, self development isn't learning to accomplish a task. Any monkey can learn that. Ok, well, almost any. I'm talking about learning about people and yourself. What makes you tick, what motivates you. What's a real, true assessment of your self. What are your true goals. What makes you happy. How to attract luck. The power of positive thinking and all that jizz. How to learn what other people want and need and so on. Learn how to relate to others. Go get some pop psychology audio book. It may sound like a bad idea to you, but you'll be a lot wiser for the experience.

Second: Word of wisdom. NEVER EVER trust the word of someone who tells you that you need to bullshit better. It's like trusting your wallet with a drug abuser. I would have thought that was common sense.

Your solution is quite simple. Think of this saying, "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." Basically saying, if you continue doing what you've done for the last 3 years of filmmaking, you'll have the same success, results and problems 3 years from now. If you want to continue to being the same broke filmmaker who cannot get a cast and crew together, all the best to you.

Your first step is to make a decision. Make a decision. Yes, really that simple. Decide, do you want to succeed, or do you want to continue to make excuses and blame others for your failures.

Okay thanks. Next time I try to get someone who will not sabotage, and try my best to weed those ones out. Normally I wouldn't listen to someone if they said I need to be a better bulls##ter but this guy says he has his own production company and passes out homemade business cards, and was able to get a TV pilot episode deal (which I did sound before, not knowing how), and he is just one guy who works at home, and not a company. So I figured maybe he was right, cause of his current success.

I need to change my approach. I need to stop relying on the internet so much to find actors, cause when I post casting calls online, hardly anyone responds. Or I need a site that has more followers than Kijiji, Craigslist, or Mandy.

What if I hired an agent to find talent? Actors have agents, but do directors/producers normally?

I will also try casting out of town, and go to a bigger city, if enough people reply, and audition, via online.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. Next time I try to get someone who will not sabotage, and try my best to weed those ones out.

It all just takes experience. Wisdom comes from the ability to learn from your own mistakes. The sure fire way to stay ignorant and dumb is to blame everyone else for your failures or failings. You will make bad decisions. We all do. It's not those decisions that's the issue, it's what you do when you first recognize them and how you learn from that experience and avoid it in the future. Shame on you if you fool me once, shame on me if you fool me twice.

Normally I wouldn't listen to someone if they said I need to be a better bulls##ter but this guy says he has his own production company and passes out homemade business cards, and was able to get a TV pilot episode deal (which I did sound before, not knowing how), and he is just one guy who works at home, and not a company. So I figured maybe he was right, cause of his current success.

You want to know what a pilot deal can be? "Hi Studio, I have an idea for a TV Show" "Hi Mr Filmmaker, go finance on your own and make me a pilot and I'll look at it". While it could also mean that the studio finance the idea, it's not necessarily true.

I need to change my approach.

Now we're talking....

I need to stop relying on the internet so much to find actors, cause when I post casting calls online, hardly anyone responds. Or I need a site that has more followers than Kijiji, Craigslist, or Mandy.

and you just ruined it...

What if I hired an agent to find talent?

So you mean like a Casting Director and a Production Manager? They're not agents, but it's not a bad idea. Do you know any who you trust?

Actors have agents, but do directors/producers normally?
It depends. While I don't see the need for them, some do.

I will also try casting out of town, and go to a bigger city, if enough people reply, and audition, via online.

I feel like I'm attempting to have a conversation with my pet rock.

You only need one person to reply. The right person for the role.

Back