Some of the actors may not understand the short film I am casting for.

I took the advice on here before and currently have been doing casting calls for a scene from a feature. I was told to do a scene from a feature I wrote, as practice. But when I do the casting call, I haven't gotten hardly any responses, and I think the actors may not understand the intention.

One of them said they did not see the point to just one scene, as oppose to a whole movie. So should I explain that it's for a feature, and it's just practice to work on our craft, or how should I advertise it? Cause I want to put up some more calls, to get more people interested.

Thanks.

H44, you seem like a nice guy. You also seem to really want to become a filmmaker.

I am going to give you some advice.

Write a short story with little characters, settings, and without things like VFX, SFX, action scenes, nighttime scenes, etc. Write a simple story.

Get family and friends to be in that story you have written. Not actors. No Mandy, SAG, or Craiglist. Family and Friends.

Pull out your equipment and shoot. You don't need perfect audio or camera movement, all you have to do is visually tell the story you have written.

Edit. Grade. Audio. Any post-work you need to do.

Post it here.

You can't do that? Tell a story using inanimate objects. Herzog made a film narrated by a plastic bag. And it was amazing. Do you remember the Monday Challenge: The Emotion contest? You get an idea of how to tell a story using camera work, editing, and music. You could do something like that.

Rayw has a channel where he makes nature and animal videos. You could do something like that.

If you can't do any of the above, I don't know what you can do.

Well it's like I posted before, my friends are just not showing interest to help. They just cannot stick to the plan, and work or something else comes up. I tried once so far, but they are just not professional enough and fool around. They can't separate friends having fun, with seriously making a movie.

I guess I could really plea with them to help and try to motivate their acting so it's good enough.

The scene I wanted to from the script is a simple dialogue scene that can make enough sense with three characters. But I am having trouble getting friends to even do that. I will plea with them stronger and see if I can get them to ask their friends as well.

Last edited:
Well it's like I posted before, my friends are just not showing interest to help. They just cannot stick to the plan, and work or something else comes up. I tried once so far, but they are just not professional enough and fool around. They can't separate friends having fun, with seriously making a movie.

I guess I could really plea with them to help and try to motivate their acting so it's good enough.

The scene I wanted to from the script is a simple dialogue scene that can make enough sense with three characters. But I am having trouble getting friends to even do that. I will plea with them stronger and see if I can get them to ask their friends as well.

What level do you think you are at? I'm not in anyway trying to be sarcastic or mean, I'm asking out of curiosity. I can see how that could come off as offensive, but I don't mean it like that.

Also, you may want to find different friends or find other people more interested in film. Try finding a film group somewhere near you.

Yeah I'm looking through things like Craigslist and facebook, but no luck so far. Looking for new friends as well. When I post adds, how much should I pay? Is 20 or 30 dollars an hour not enough, or should I pay by the day? Maybe that's a bad impression in the casting call.

By level do you mean experience level?

Last edited:
i feel your pain on the friends thing h44. There were 4 or 5 different people that said they were going to help crew, not a single person showed for crew. I had 3 friends say they would play a small role that were all no-call no-shows, not even a heads up that they couldn't make it anymore.

One guy that did show up was 2 hours late one day, then 3 hours late the next and also 3 hours late on his last day. Everything was a rush, I almost had to change the whole ending because I thought he wouldn't show up that last day. A one day shoot turned into a four day shoot because everyone was so late, then different people wouldn't show up different days and I just couldn't get the scenes in that I needed. On the last day my DP said he was just going to give up and walk away from the project if we didn't get it done right then ..

It was not easy at all and required some luck. If the weather was bad I don't know what I would have done, the good weather for an outdoor daylight script was the one thing I really had going for me. That and I have a fairly sizable network of friends. I've lived here in MD now for almost 20 years and it would have been a different story if I only lived here for 3 or 4.

Maybe you can try meeting new people in things unrelated to filming. Is there a dart league or something near you? Go join a social club with a bunch of people and then see if any of them have an interest in appearing on camera. All kinds of people like movies.

I joined a martial arts class, and I met a guy a in the police, who was interest in doing the last feature I wrote, since it's a police/crime thriller, and he said he could put a lot of his resources into the story, and do the fight scene tactics, etc. But I am not there yet, and would need more experience, and more cast and crew. But the point is, is that I did find somebody finally. It's not all hopeless.

I was told a lot of models like to act and I should try to join a modeling agency or hang around them. I think I will try that next.

Last edited:
i feel your pain on the friends thing h44. There were 4 or 5 different people that said they were going to help crew, not a single person showed for crew. I had 3 friends say they would play a small role that were all no-call no-shows, not even a heads up that they couldn't make it anymore.

One guy that did show up was 2 hours late one day, then 3 hours late the next and also 3 hours late on his last day. Everything was a rush, I almost had to change the whole ending because I thought he wouldn't show up that last day.

:grumpy:

Sucks... Being let down my 'friends' is the worst - especially when they cannot even be bothered to give you a heads-up that they cannot make it.

H44 if you are considering paying. Don't be paying $30 an hour - you'll burn through a ton of money... Even $30 a day will be about $50 a day per talent when you consider the cost of food/refreshments.

You have lots of good advice here. ChimpPhobiaFilms raised an interesting point too (Herzog) - worst case you could go to a forest or a waterfall and simply shoot some great nature scenes. Put them together to make a great very-visual showreel, put it up on youtube for talent to see. Make it damn good. Hopefully some talent would like it enough to say 'yes' to your casting. Actors want great scenes for their showreels - if they think you can pull one off, they'll work with you. If they think you're not going to produce anything of value then won't - unless you pay them.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. Not much nature where I live but perhaps some city landscape. Outside the city it's just flat grasslands. But I can get some city shots and shots of birds from aways perhaps. I have some bird pictures from a trip of pictures are a good way to persuade people.

When you do casting calls also, what sites do you people go to for that? Perhaps I am just on the wrong ones that don't have enough members also.

I will try to get my friends to do one again one more time. But how do I get my friends to actually act, instead of just fool around on camera, having too much fun? I need to really get them to show emotion and make it convincing.

Warning with Models. If you think it's hard to get actors to do what you want, you'll learn how good you had it when you start working with models. Not all models mind you, some models are very reliable and follow direction.

When you do casting calls also, what sites do you people go to for that? Perhaps I am just on the wrong ones that don't have enough members also.

I use my personal database first (if a role doesn't suit, they usually know someone keen), a casting agent, Facebook and Starnow. That's the order in which I get the most responses.

But how do I get my friends to actually act, instead of just fool around on camera, having too much fun?

This is where your leadership skills come into play. You know, that part of that self development I mentioned. It's more than just sending the right message to a forum. You want to be a filmmaker, you need to learn more about people management and leadership. Grab a few books and learn more on the topic. It's not rocket science. Once you decide, anyone with half a brain can learn it. Once you learn it, life becomes much easier.

I need to really get them to show emotion and make it convincing.

Direct your actors. Explain what you need and show them how to do it. Make corrections until it's done right. It's really that simple. There are multiple ways you can show emotion on the screen. In combination, you don't need a perfect performance if you also do your job well.

Okay thanks. Since I don't have an agent, I will just use Starnow and facebook. I checked out starnow, and almost every casting call listed was for a feature in LA! Hope my short film does not sound too small stakes for actors on that site. Is their any particular areas of facebook for that?

I will also buy a book or two on directing actors and see if that helps.

............ChimpPhobiaFilms raised an interesting point too (Herzog) - worst case you could go to a forest or a waterfall and simply shoot some great nature scenes. Put them together to make a great very-visual showreel, put it up on youtube for talent to see. Make it damn good. Hopefully some talent would like it enough to say 'yes' to your casting. Actors want great scenes for their showreels - if they think you can pull one off, they'll work with you. If they think you're not going to produce anything of value then won't - unless you pay them.

Okay thanks. Not much nature where I live but perhaps some city landscape. Outside the city it's just flat grasslands. But I can get some city shots and shots of birds from aways perhaps. I have some bird pictures from a trip of pictures are a good way to persuade people.

It has been mentioned before:
if you can't find actors, try to tell a story without people.
Or with people who are unaware that they are filmed (by keeping them at a distance), so you can make it a poetic short about (like I suggested before) your hometown awaking.
Perhaps you can add your own voice to 'tell the story'.

(Caution: I got a brainwave including 1 actor!)
(Between [ ] are shot suggestions)

"After a good night sleep, the city of ... wakes up slowly. [sunrise over town, buildings catching daylight]
People get ready to go to their jobs as they do everyday. [people getting in cars, people at the train station]
Except for John. [people crossing street, John keeps standing still and looks to the sky]
John is different. [John walks through green meadows]
He has a dream and a purpose. [stares in distance with binoculairs]
He is determined to find the end of the rainbow." [watching smartphone to locate rain]
[John waits and waits while looking around]
END

For this you need a few shots without people.
A few shots without the actor. (A)
A few shots with the actor. (B)
And you will need a tripod. (C)

How much time do you need?
You need to get up early 2 or 3 mornings to shoot A and B shots.
You'll need 1 day to shoot C shots.

Edit in 2 days.
No VFX
Keep sound simple. (Sorry soundpeople, but he needs to finish something)
Add subtle music.

Try some colorgrading. (No more than 2 days!)

Et Voila!
Portfolio stuff!

And now you think: what is this?
I'd say poetic, fairytale fake documentary :P
It's strange and secretly funny and tragic ;)

And it's short!
To good part is: you don't need a rainbow at all :P

(This is the 3rd or 4th short idea I give you... what do you think about these ideas? Do you read them? Did you safe them?)

Think small with big impact instead of big with low impact.
If actors 'don't understand' then you are either not clear or the plan makes no sense.
Instead of 1 scene, do a really short story.
(I'm telling you this for years now, but you keep insisting on doing long stuff without experience.
Now your 'reputation is at steak' you hopefully understand that going smaller steps might be better: it asks less of other people, making their (time) investment smaller. That makes your reputation-risk smaller too.)

Last edited:
Okay thanks. I am doing pre-production one right now, with a few possible actor choices and let's hope it works this time.

One of the actors I met, has an agent, and he starred in four feature films! STARRED in four features, shot where I live! So maybe an agent or casting director is the way to go, as I am obviously, missing out and there is a whole other world out there in my city.

Last edited:
I met the actor first, who told me about the agent. I have the agents number, but would also like to use the agency myself to find other actors, and to get my foot in the door, since I want to act as well. What's the best way to go about this, just call and email and ask? Would it be inappropriate to ask the agency for anything, since the actor is interested in possibly doing my short film?

Last edited:
One of the actors I met, has an agent, and he starred in four feature films! STARRED in four features, shot where I live! So maybe an agent or casting director is the way to go, as I am obviously, missing out and there is a whole other world out there in my city.
An agent or casting agent is not going to work for free. Don't waste your $$$$. Given your audio blimp experience and the fact you hinted cash was short, why are you even thinking this way... Get some filming experience first before you even consider engaging an agency or casting agent. Do we actually need to tell you this?
I met the actor first, who told me about the agent. I have the agents number, but would also like to use the agency myself to find other actors, and to get my foot in the door, since I want to act as well.
They may want to represent you or they may not. Do you have the look? Do you have professional experience? What's your acting showreel like? Have you great head shots? They'll consider all such things.

As for getting actors from them. Again, an agency does not work for free. I doubt they'll be willing to provide free actors to you. The fact you do not have a directing portfolio or showreel will not help either.

Back