Some Kickass Project

Hey everyone, so I'm just another random newbie here, my name is Alexandra and I'm 22 years old, I'm actually FRENCH — how awesome is that ? Oh it's not ? — and if you somehow landed on that post, well thank you for reading and especially what's following.

First of all I am not a professional filmmaker. I'm not even a filmmaker. I'm actually a student, but film has been running my life since I am able to use a remote control and going to the cinema. I know that's far to be enough to claim being interested by it, but it's actually the case — A LOT.

I'd like to film something related to the American Dream as it is seen by Europeans, a fading, unclear American dream that yet keeps mesmerizing tons of people all over the world. I know it must sound terribly cliché for you guys, but take my word on that, Europe and the United States are like COMPLETELY OPPOSED.

Do people still dream nowadays ? :hmm:

That's the answer I'd like to bring.
It's not that obvious. It's the reason why billions of people leave their lives, jobs and goods everyday. It's not like it didn't exist. It does, and it's interesting.

I am looking for people that are willing to build a project with me next summer ('14), where we would tour the American West and why not, the North Pacific in order to make some kind of documentary about the DREAM and how it still — or not — affects people. It is important for you Americans to know that in Europe, and especially in France, it's just completely different and that's why it matters to me so much. This project will not last longer than two months, maybe less — I know some people want to enjoy their holidays — and I believe that it will not last longer than forty four minutes. It's not like you'll be paid trillions or anything, but it would just be a fabulous opportunity to find out about what's going on in your own country and about social issues. How well do you even know it ? Anyway, that could be something wonderful and I of course would be glad to welcome anyone with a different culture. The aim here is a great concern to us all, because we all are in anyway affected by the American lifestyle.

Feel free to Skype or message me anytime to let me know your suggestions, impressions, comments, or your willingness to participate.

If you get to my part of the North Pacific (Portland Oregon) let me know. Ill make time.

One thought right, off, why not come with an open mind instead of a set of preconceived notions? If your looking to reinforce your own beliefs you wont learn anything new.

snip...

It is important for you Americans to know that in Europe, and especially in France, it's just completely different and that's why it matters to me so much. ....

[/U]

Why is it important? You suggest you don't understand the American Dream, so why not understand it first, before telling me what I need to understand.

Seek to understand before seeking to be understood.

@wheatgrinder

Okay, that's funny because I was thinking of going there in the first place !

Of course I'll come there with a cleared mind. I think my sentence was poorly worded. I'm not especially looking for just filming what I expect to find, that goes without saying. I'm looking for the TRUTH, and not the truth that is being told around here in the books and the papers, by people who don't know what they're talking about. Of course it's deeper than that; it's not about making tourism, it's about finding out what's going on there, if what we've been told is true, and especially, what keeps American people going, what keeps them still carrying an American flag in front of their mobilehomes while the teenagers here are stomping on it. That's why I can't do that by myself. It's about doing all that and bringing it HERE.

Why is it important? You suggest you don't understand the American Dream, so why not understand it first, before telling me what I need to understand.

Seek to understand before seeking to be understood.

I know right, then again, maybe I wrote things wrong. I'm not suggesting that I don't get it. And even worse, I'm absolutely not criticizing it either, if that's what you meant. I just believe that the version I have of it it's not the right one, and that's why I'd like to investigate and find out about it in a social, and relationship-related way.

So yes, you are right. This definitely will be about understanding the American Dream and not only for me as a foreigner, but also for all the Americans that I'm sure are willing to find out more about what brought them there.

:welcome:

tumblr_mnh3zjbvWZ1rjgcvdo1_500.gif

Welcome to indietalk.

While you seem to be having trouble telling us what thie project is,
I hope it works out for you. I'm in Los Angeles – if I can help with
the area from Santa Barbara to Anaheim (home of Disneyland),
from Hollywood to Las Vegas I'd be glad to.

it's about finding out what's going on there, if what we've been told is true, and especially, what keeps American people going, what keeps them still carrying an American flag in front of their mobilehomes while the teenagers here are stomping on it.
I'm sorry to hear teenagers in France are stomping on the American
flag. What keeps us American going, what keeps us still carrying the
flag in front of our mobil homes even when teens in France are
stomping on it might be interesting to some in France. I know I
would more interested in why teenagers in France are stomping
on our flag.

Maybe that's what you can do; shoot footage and interviews showing
this strong anti-American sentiment in France and then put that
together with what you find here during your trip.

I'm sorry to hear teenagers in France are stomping on the American
flag.

Lol, teenagers in France aren't stomping on the American flag. They are stomping on the French flag, their own flag. The patriotism that can be shown in your country doesn't exist here, and it's interesting to know why. We have the best health care than can possibly exist — free doctors, free hospitals — and the right to study anything we'd like for free. I pay the university 5 bucks a year. So why do people fly overseas ? Why do people still leave ? THAT'S THE QUESTION.

There is no anti-American feeling in France, even in Europe. Either people don't care, or they just envy you guys.

I'm sorry if people have misunderstood what I meant, or if they just didn't get it. It seems very clear to me, although I'm not fluent in English.

But if some people would like to join I'd be glad to. Otherwise I'll just look elsewhere, because I'm confident and I know where I'm going. If someone wants details just private message me. It does make a sense to me and I'm sure it does even more than some stuff I've been seeing and which leads to nowhere to me.

If someone doesn't like it, well that's your right. We're in America right? Freedom of speech. But freedom of speech also exists here, and I completely intend to use it.

But thanks a lot for your comment @direktorik, I'll sure go back at you whenever I have more concrete info. I have no difficulties telling you what the project is, like I said earlier, it's all about going there and finding out. But shooting footage and interviews is what's all about; putting it altogether and finding the truth !

This was a good read, well written, despite you saying not to be fluent in English.
I haven`t misunderstood the flag stomping, possibly because I`m an european citizen. :)

Your doc could be interesting. Finding the truth?
There is no truth, there are only different stories to tell. ;)

Good luck with your project.

Hi servare, welcome to IT! I hope you like it here. :)

There is no anti-American feeling in France, even in Europe. Either people don't care, or they just envy you guys.

I guess news of US foreign poilicies since WWII hasn't reached you there yet? :lol:

Your doc could be interesting. Finding the truth?
There is no truth, there are only different stories to tell. ;)

Indeed. "The truth is subjective".

Thanks for that, rotwang. Now I've got an overwhelming urge to watch B5: 'Intersections in real time' for the hundredth time... :cool:

PS Is your wang really rotting? :eek:

First of all I am not a professional filmmaker. I'm not even a filmmaker. I'm actually a student,...

I'd like to film something related to the American Dream as it is seen by Europeans,...
You know, the logistics on this are going to be a major pain in the @ss.
Doable, but an expensive hassle.

What's your time frame for getting the raw film shot? Spring/summer of 2014?

Since this is a pretty much a pseudo-educational social commentary documentary you seriously need to:
  1. find a distributor that will carry the final film product,
  2. learn their technical standards for deliverables,
  3. demonstrate that you can actually film a documentary (several local practice videos oughtta do it), then
  4. find out if you can receive a film grant from your government agencies or private film grant commissions.

If you can get those four things done everything else will go much easier with the actual production.

GL!

I'd like to film something related to the American Dream as it is seen by Europeans,...

It may be a good idea, you may be able to tell a compelling story, the problem that I see is you're segmenting an already segmented potential audience. That's just the businessman side of me talking.

If you just want to tell a story without any worries about commercial success, I wish you all the best. If financial success is a consideration for you, I'd work out a way to make it more appealing to a wider audience or narrow the audience to a highly motivated niche. I'm not sure your target audience falls into that category.

Good luck! I hope it works out well for you.

Back