Social Brain Wave: News

Yes you did. The second video has music and sound by our very own MetalRenard. Yay!

About the first video. I agree. The sound could be better. I wish I had the opportunity to work with it before they turned it in.

Audacity? What? Aren't you a Reaper man?

Lyn, nice 48HFF entry.
Some really nice images in there.
The story's a little wobbly. Dude needs to have a 'Groundhog Day' something bad.
That voice over audio quality + competing soundtrack volume is killing it, though.

I'd really like to hear it again w/o the soundtrack.

If I remember correctly, Audacity isn't set up to "auto crossfade" audio (stupid, I know). This means you have to manually crossfade everything and make a small slope at the beginning of every audio file
Good-effing-gracious.
Incredibly stupid. :mad:
You wouldn't believe how many times I gotta just delete tiny snippets of leaf crunches, cars driving by, plane flyovers, emergency services sirens, and sometimes my own breaths or sneezes.

Manual cross fades.
Efffffff meeeeeee. :grrr:

Last edited:
Got to say... Sony Vegas (Movie Studio) 11 is effin' amazing. So much better than the other crap I used to have!
Thanks so much for recommending it. I've made a 5 minute video to go with a music collab I made with someone, just waiting for the go-ahead to publish it.

I'm blown away by this video software, especially for the price I paid (£40)!

Excellent work, Mitchell. :yes:
I think it's super cool to work with your kids like that.

I imagine that took quite a bit of work, and would like to hear more about the concepts and goals involved, the actual process from think session, to editing.

What are some of the things all of you learned and will be doing differently for episode 2 or would like to try?

Excellent work, Mitchell. :yes:
I think it's super cool to work with your kids like that.
Thanks Ray, it is way too much fun and I love seeing them be creative.

I imagine that took quite a bit of work, and would like to hear more about the concepts and goals involved, the actual process from think session, to editing.
It was definitely a project, but only took a month of random, short, spurts. It was edited and uploaded right after the last scene was filmed (the opening scene of the video). I don't know where their ideas came from, other than they've been watching a lot of old kung fu movies for the past six months. They told me the general scene idea, I offered them some suggested ways of doing the camera work, then we would shoot it. They had the whole story worked out in their heads all along and I just did what I could to get it how they wanted it to look. After the scenes were in the camera I edited each segment, then did a final edit session with all the render scenes put in the correct order, grabbed sound files for beeps, footsteps, kung-fu, and my son e-mailed all the music he had made to my in-box, from his computer. Slapped it all together and voila... The 8+ minutes of wasted time you saw on Youtube, lol.

What are some of the things all of you learned and will be doing differently for episode 2 or would like to try?
I definitely learned a lot about camera work. Use a tripod, double check your exposure, use manual focus, use the T4i and not the point-and-shoot, good lighting is great/great lighting is king, record audio separately, don't leave your camera bag with all your gear in the truck (a somewhat separate story, but still applies), do 2 or 3 takes even if the 1st 2 are good, always use multiple camera angles (even if your in a hurry, it just adds depth to the story), sound can make or brake your movie, and making movies ROCKS.
That's the short list of mistakes and lessons on this project anyway, :lol:
Episode 2 will need to be coaxed out of them I'm afraid, a winter theme was suggested by one viewer...

Eh... technically not really.

It's too long to explain and not really worth the effort.
Honestly, trying to hold out for purity's sake is kinda retarded at this point, but... IDK.

Lotta talk and very little walk.
Pathway to hell is paved with good intentions.
Blah blah blah...

It's supposed to be a thread for those of us producing regular youtube content, but...
MetalRenard and I are the only two doing that because - making regular content is really effing hard when you have a life! :lol:
I'm kinda waning on it myself.
More productive fish to fry.
Insufficient social networking skills.
Blah blah blah...
Whatevs.

I dunno...

I just uploaded the first of four promo videos for my web series on my Uncle Gilly channels (YouTube and Vimeo). I have three more coming (one a week) until full episodes begin airing. I posted the video in the Screening Room.

New video with shit audio. I shot a bunch of videos at the same time and processed them together. The different looks are from me experimenting to figure out what I like the best. The audio problem is because I am quite literally filming inside a bunker. The acoustics are horrible. And, since it is a bunker that is in use for prepping, I am extremely limited in what I can do/move to make the sound better. i didn't replace the audio in post because I do not have anywhere to do ADR right now. I am beginning to rethink my decision to use standard consumer grade gear to shoot this series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0bgpoXkHuc

Back