So terrible, yet, so good.

Ever see a flick where that was your thoughts? I just left my friend's place, where we watched Six-String Samurai. Now, I will say this about it; Where'd the $2 million budget go??

First, the plot. In 1957 the USSR launched nukes at America, turning much of the country into a desolate wasteland. Las Vegas somehow survived the folly, being renamed Lost Vegas, and being ruled by the King (yes, Elvis,) while the rest of what remains of the country fell into nothingness and anarchy. 40 years later, the king has died, and the Lost Vegas radio DJ sends a message across the wastes, encouraging other rockers to descend on Vegas to become the New King. Our hero, "Buddy"* treks out across the wastes, meeting and reluctantly protecting a kid simply know as "Kid" as the duo is persued by "Death" a personification of the Grim Reaper dressed like Slash.... Buddy carries his trusty Six String, as well as an improvised sword, facing the likes of wasteland gangs, Death himself, and even a rather large detachment of the Soviet army in his trip to become the new King. What dystopian feature would be complete with out a few cannibals and mysterious murderous fiends in spacesuits, either, not to mention a midget.

*Buddy Hall, obviously....

Now, there were also quite a few epic quotes that are stuck in my mind;

"A pink golf ball, why the wind shear alone can take the head off a 90-pound midget at 300 yards!"

and

"If I were you, I'd RUN!"
"If you were me....you'd be, good looking."

Its campy, and drips of 50's-60's musical refferences, honestly as campy as it is I'm surprised Bruce Campbell** didn't drop in for a major part. The sets were mostly well found, and the Cinematography was gorgeous at times, and it all played well to make a feeling of being a post-apocalyptic deathzone.

**Not that I have ANYTHING against Bruce, at all...

The sound was off synch in places, not to mention the voiceovers were very noticable, the acting was iffy at times, BUT the premise of the story was good, and there were several key points i really enjoyed, and there are some beautiful shots in it and the majority of the fight scenes were well orchestrated. Not to mention, the soundtrack was entirely by The Red Elvises, which I must admit I'm really digging right now (think Gogol Bordello.)

Honestly, its something you HAVE to see, not because its AMAZING but because its amazing how terrible, yet not terrible it is...

Last thought I had, I feel bad for the fact the budget was apparently $2 Million, and it only grossed $160,000....

But yeah, as I said, its something you just have to see, one way or the other, its indescribable, really.

I was in high school with the DP, Kristian Bernier and have worked with his contemporary Jon Millman, both Dover (NH) High School grads. Go Greenwave!

Anyhow... I'm not here to defend Six-String Samurai at all as I had nothing to do with it, but the cinematography was quite good. That's what I remember most. Actually, that's about ALL I remember.

Laser Mission

Dark Descent

Teenagers from Outer Space

Skyscraper, starring Anna Nicole Smith

Anything staring Jeff Speakman or Cynthia Rothrock.

Really, if you get the chance, see Laser Mission.

If only because anyone who sees that movie will automatically feel eleventy-million percent better about their own skills.

And because it has Brandon Lee and Earnest Borgnine, really it's only saving graces.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099978/

Well, the car chase through whatever unnammed African country they end up in where the VW bus burns rubber (screetching sfx and all) on sand is pretty epic.

Saw it in the theater in 1979:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzfuNSpP0RA?fs
"David Hasselhoff contracted food poisoning during the shooting of the movie; a production assistant had to fill in for Hasselhoff for a fair share of the scenes in which his character Simon's face is covered by a mask. Moreover, Hasselhoff did most of his own stunts and accidentally knocked out an Italian stuntman's tooth on his first day of doing stunts." (IMDb)

Last edited:
Ah yes. Hackers and Skyscraper. Thanks for reminding me of those!

Laser Mission sounds "brilliant" bc of the combo. And i like Borgnine. Going to check it out.

Saw it in the theater in 1979:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzfuNSpP0RA?fs
"David Hasselhoff contracted food poisoning during the shooting of the movie; a production assistant had to fill in for Hasselhoff for a fair share of the scenes in which his character Simon's face is covered by a mask. Moreover, Hasselhoff did most of his own stunts and accidentally knocked out an Italian stuntman's tooth on his first day of doing stunts." (IMDb)

Oh yes, this is a classic!

I think my plan to work my way through the greatest movies of all time (once I get a job and can rent them out -_-) needs to be revised. Perhaps I should include in my list some of the worst films as well :D

Terrible movies are great because the majority aren't completely terrible, they've got one or two golden nuggets contained therein. Most. I saw a REALLY crappy one once that was just utter crap (using polite words) but because wildly popular because it was under the guise of a religious production, and therefore since it was about God and Jesus and the World Ending it would be blasphemy to say "this movie sucks, and in one scene the dolly track is CLEARLY visible." But, I'll say that, because I've done SO MANY other things that'll damn me to Hell worse than that comment....

Back