So Desperate in Los Angeles: How to Find a Great DP.. STAT?!

Straight to the point: Where / how should I pinpoint a great DP for a first-time filmmaker's project?

I'm a first-time filmmaker who is finally setting out to direct and produce his first narrative short film. In terms of storytelling, I've been in preparation since fall 2011 -- creating a compelling script, regularly feeding on my cinematic inspiration (the Nouvelle Vague films of 1959-1967), and honing the visual aesthetic of this story.

2013's first month is about to wrap, and I'm anxious to move into the next phase of this journey, assembling a cast and crew to realize this story of mine.

The more I research DSLR filmmaking (I plan to shoot with a Canon 550D), the more I realize how essential it is that I pin down and hitch myself to a genius DP, as soon as possible. The rigamarole of focus pulling and building a lens kit and aliasing and moire and on and on and on.... is, granted, VITAL for me to deeply understand as the filmmaker, but ultimately overwhelming and disheartening.

I simply do NOT have the time (I work 9-5) or the expertise to accomplish this task completely on my own. I really need to pin down a brilliant cinematographer in order to move forward. To move at all, really.

I aim to maintain a petite crew. Myself, a DP, a sound tech, and (potentially) a PA, particularly for scenes involving complex light duty.

Funny enough, the cast has come together without too much of a problem. They're chomping at the bit to get this material in the can.

I have roughly 30 days to track down this angel of a DP/cinematographer, before I intend to enter prepro (in March) and principal photography (in April). I am for 12-18 shooting days in total (primarily Fridays - Sundays), including any potential reshoot(s).

I live in Los Angeles (Santa Monica). Because I recognize how seriously essential a DP is to my goal, I am prepared to provide financial compensation, commensurate with reel and experience, for my DP.

Here is the storyline:

Bobo Noir (French for "spoiled Parisian brat") is a pastry arts dropout with a heart of gold (or opal, his birthstone). His dream: become the black John Belushi. His skill: awful-awesome. His parents -- a professor of 19th-century Namibian watercolors and a Montgolfier Prize Winner in toy plane aviation -- have banished him from the family olive oil fortune. But a hospitalized second cousin and a sketchy student visa have earned him a summer in L.A. to fulfill his funnyman dream.

Again I ask: Where / how should I pinpoint this spectacular DP? Are YOU, genius cinematographer, willing to partner with me in the capturing of this narrative? Or would you happen to know of someone who might be?

Please e-mail me, Jeff, at jnoahu@gmail.com immediately. Thank you! You're a lifesaver.

a great DP
hitch myself to a genius DP
need to pin down a brilliant cinematographer
angel of a DP/cinematographer
this spectacular DP
genius cinematographer

I am not brilliant, genius, spectacular, nor an angel...

first-time filmmaker's project?
a first-time filmmakerplan to shoot with a Canon 550D
12-18 shooting days in total (primarily Fridays - Sundays

...but I do know a lot about working with first-time filmmakers on limited budgets during weekends with a T2i (550D)

Maybe we can work something out.

Try Starnow.com or craigs list.

It also looks like you're missing a camera operator from your list.

Good luck

Thanks, Sweetie, for your tips. I've taken them all :)

Just a question about the camera operator, though? On a small, low-budget, first-timer's crew, is a CO a role that a willing DP could potentially fill? Or would due diligence require that I myself locate one -- potentially a film student or a PA looking for camera operating experience? -- out of respect for the cinematographer?

Any wisdom you're generous to provide will be happily lapped up by me. Thanks.

Just a question about the camera operator, though? On a small, low-budget, first-timer's crew, is a CO a role that a willing DP could potentially fill? Or would due diligence require that I myself locate one -- potentially a film student or a PA looking for camera operating experience? -- out of respect for the cinematographer?

You can, but you're diluting down the time he has for his duties and hit ability for fixing errors he notices. It's like a director shooting without a 1st ad. Of course you can do it and plenty do, but your work suffers each time you add a role on top of their already busy plate. It can also have the effect of slowing down the work speed too.

It also depends on the person. Some people prefer to do it and others don't want to do both duties.

Many DPs, especially those not commanding a 4-figure day rate, prefer to operate themselves. This is something you should discuss with the DP, he may well prefer to operate himself. If he is the type to want an operator, he will know people himself, who he likes to work with and will likely tell you who to call, or call them himself.

In my experience, the role of camera operator is barely existent anymore. Back in the day, DPs worried about lighting and camera operators worried about framing. In the UK, this is still very much prevalent. From my experience, both here (Australia) and the US, operators are brought on for B cam, C cam etc., as well as Steadicam and special rigs. A cam is now quite often operated by the DP himself, and the smaller the budget, the much more likely the DP is to operate also.

Darn! Perhaps I could contact you for your opinions on the rough cut once you're in LA?

I'd be more than happy to :)

Many DPs, especially those not commanding a 4-figure day rate, prefer to operate themselves. This is something you should discuss with the DP, he may well prefer to operate himself. If he is the type to want an operator, he will know people himself, who he likes to work with and will likely tell you who to call, or call them himself.

In my experience, the role of camera operator is barely existent anymore. Back in the day, DPs worried about lighting and camera operators worried about framing. In the UK, this is still very much prevalent. From my experience, both here (Australia) and the US, operators are brought on for B cam, C cam etc., as well as Steadicam and special rigs. A cam is now quite often operated by the DP himself, and the smaller the budget, the much more likely the DP is to operate also.

Great to hear this coming from a bona fide expert. It seems fitting to me that most DP's these days would prefer to wield their own equipment. The better to achieve their own unique visual aims.

I'd be more than happy to :)

Awesome -- shoot me an email at jnoahu@gmail.com?

I'm surprised that you can't find a DP when you're in L.A.

Anyway, keep searching. I'm sure you'll find one eventually. Are you searching in craigslist?

Thanks for your kind words :) In actuality, there is no way I would ever search for a DP on Craigslist. I may use it to enlist a PA, or even a sound technician (a little riskier)... but I don't know if the caliber of DP I'm demanding would be on CL looking for ads.

Or -- am I wrong about that?

Back