Small town cinemas

Just a sentimental article I ran across. :)

In an age of streaming videos and DVDs, the small town Main Street movie theater is thriving in North Dakota, the result of a grass-roots movement to keep storefront movie houses, with their jewel-like marquees and facades of careworn utility, at the center of community life.

From Crosby (population 1,000), near the Saskatchewan border, to Mayville, in the Red River Valley, tickets are about $5, the buttered popcorn $1.25 and the companionship free.

Entire thing: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/05/us/05theater.html?pagewanted=all

I saw that article in the Times.

Oh, the memories... every third person smoking a cigarette, little ashtrays on the arm-rests like they used to have on airplanes, the light from the projector clear as a bell above your head, cutting through the billowing clouds of Lucky Strikes.

:D

Outstanding.

I've mentioned a cinema in a previous thread, i visited a real small-time picture-house, after i stumbled upon it after getting lost on my way to a gig. 150 seats, friendly staff who knew everything you wanted to know about the picture, an aged couple drinking wine on the back-row.

It's real nice to know there's still communities valuing their cinemas, for the experience, and not just the free 3D glasses.

Outstanding.

I've mentioned a cinema in a previous thread, i visited a real small-time picture-house, after i stumbled upon it after getting lost on my way to a gig. 150 seats, friendly staff who knew everything you wanted to know about the picture, an aged couple drinking wine on the back-row.

It's real nice to know there's still communities valuing their cinemas, for the experience, and not just the free 3D glasses.

You are right Papertwinproductions

I came across a beautiful old theatre a couple of years ago and the experience is just amazing, so different from now a days and a lot more enjoyable. I'm not a 3D movie fan myself. I feel that the colours lose their life behind the dark 3D glasses and the movie itself loses it's main meaning... Good old days!

Sarah

The single cinema in my hometown is now showing first run films. They had to form an agreement with the one of the local multiplexes to stay open.

Maybe it will be cool to see some of the big blockbusters in a theater like that. At least its still open.

-- spinner :cool:

I am not old enough to remember most of what has been written here. I do remember stereo sound, not enough seats, being disappointed because the movie sold out, nasty bathrooms, zero selection, and not being able to see over the person in front of me. I personally love my big multiplex theaters with all the bells and whistles, including the digital projectors that are able to broadcast musicals, concerts, operas, and once in a while some independent work. Anyone else a fan of the new movie theaters that are around today?

Back