Simulated sea breeze in the studio

Hello!

I decided to shoot a short film with two actors and the CG environment. Under the scenario, almost all the action takes place on the ocean. Beach also want to make a full CG. So I have a question. How best to simulate the sea breeze in the studio? What are the fans with minimum noise?

Thanks.

P.S. Sorry for bad english

Welcome to indietalk!

No fan is quiet enough to record dialogue while it's running. You will
need to re-record all the dialogue in a quiet environment after you
shoot the scene.

So that frees you to use any fan you can find.

Thank you for your reply. In all projects which require simulation of wind, the dialogues are recorded separately? It is not difficult, but since the quality and the synchronization of the lips will be worse, and the final result will be unsatisfactory.

I thought to depart from the concept to use 100% CG and shoot on a real beach (we have the Black Sea), but the wind noise will disturb the recording. Therefore, dialogue should also be rewritten. Or have any filters?

Once again sorry for bad english :)

I have successfully recorded dialog in heavy wind locations (coastal Florida) using the Rycote Wind Protection system and a Sennheiser ME-80/K3. The director was very pleased with the results and nothing had to be ADRed.

Thank you for your reply. In all projects which require simulation of wind, the dialogues are recorded separately? It is not difficult, but since the quality and the synchronization of the lips will be worse, and the final result will be unsatisfactory.

I thought to depart from the concept to use 100% CG and shoot on a real beach (we have the Black Sea), but the wind noise will disturb the recording. Therefore, dialogue should also be rewritten. Or have any filters?

Once again sorry for bad english :)

It's very possible to record usable dialog under windy/noisy conditions. The problem is that you need the proper gear and, much more importantly, someone like GP with the skill set to pull it off.

And that's the problem for most low-budget indie types, they have neither the proper gear nor the budget to hire a skilled PSM or boom-op. The same applies to when it comes to audio post - doing ADR and the associated sound design (Foley, etc.) - lack of tools and skills.

Of course, you're right. Indie projects are carried out entirely on the enthusiasm. But even the presence of people does not mean that there will be funds for professional equipment.

directorik wrote that the quietest fans did not find, and will need to do ADR. This complicates matters.

If I follow the advice gpforet and use Rycote Wind Protection, it also imposes a visual and ideological constraints.

Ideally I want to find a quiet way to simulate the wind in the studio.

The indie way would be hit them with the fan when they're not talking. Reaction shots etc. breezes come and go, no need to run the fan all the time. A few smart shots of sea breeze will probably sell the effect.

Typically, production dialog is captured during the close-up shots which allow the boom to get very close to the talent but remain out of the camera frame. For the longer shots, the boom is kept out of camera frame for reference sound, and since the camera is shooting long, the close-up dialog tracks are used and synching becomes less of a problem when the camera goes long because you cannot see the details of the talents mouth with the long shot.

If I follow the advice gpforet and use Rycote Wind Protection, it also imposes a visual and ideological constraints.

As GP has noted, if you use the right gear and personnel to properly capture the production dialog a good dialog editor can pull off the next step. I have completely reconstructed the dialog of a scene from the audio of the unused takes, and there is some truly wonderful NR softwares out there at relatively reasonable prices to salvage things that were previously unsalvageable.

Options were many, but brianluce noticed a very important detail. If some few shots of the sea breeze will be enough, then I will choose this option. If you do not come out as needed, then I will use filters and software. Or look for people to ADR.

Last edited:
Options were many, but brianluce noticed a very important detail. If some few shots of the sea breeze will be enough, then I will choose this option. If you do not come out as needed, then I will use filters and software. Or look for people to ADR.

Yes, just keep it simple, exotic audio software and high end ($$) windjammers and pro boom operators will all work, but it's a lot of work and will cost.

btw, for your screen I hope you use a cyclorama, it'll allow a lot more flexibility and options.

If you do not come out as needed, then I will use filters and software.

I wanted to write that if the result is bad, then I will use filters and software.

2brianluce.

Yes, of course I use a cyclorama.

What do you mean by exotic audio software?
But I will try to do studio shooting.

Last edited:
What do you mean by exotic audio software?
But I will try to do studio shooting.

Oh that's just personal bias, I have always found pro tools impenetrable. I've also been lost in a sea of Waves audio plugins for Sony Vegas and it ain't fun. But some people are software whizzes, I'm just not one of them.

In general though, the "Fix it" in post is something to avoid. The type of thing Alcove Audio does is typically not the kind of thing you can learn watching a youtube tutorial. Audio post isn't for the faint of heart IMO.

I do not want to create a new topic. Is there any alternative use of the rails dolly? In the small studio massive rail use is inconvenient, but small enough to find difficult. Can I somehow do without the rails and at the same time without shaking the camera?

On the note of creating breez. If you don't want strong wind, but just a breeze, and got enough room in the studio. You could get one or two guys to hold large boards and fan the actors with them. I've seen it done in some behind the scene videos, so it probably would work, never tried it myself... haha...

I think it would give a more natural look as oppose to a stream of wind from a fan, not to mention, quieter.

And on the note about dolly, have you considered a Steadicam?

Back