• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shrinking dimensions in FCP

I just imported some video from a small flip camera. When I imported it to FCP, the dimensions were huge. How can I shrink it down? I think it's current frame size is 1280 x 740? Thanks.

When I view the clip at 100%, it's zoomed in very far. After dragging it to the timeline, I want to be able to view it at 100% and have it fit the window properly.

Does your project frame size match your source footage size? Seems to me the source material could be 1080x740 but your project size is 270x185 or some clerical error like that.

Flip cameras shot at 1280x720 HD. My guess is that when you dropped the video in to the timeline FCP asked if you wanted to change the timeline properties to match the video properties and you clicked yes. This changed the timeline properties. By default FCP will then play back the timeline at native size but it won't change the size of the playback window to compensate for the size of the video.

Look at the top of the playback window. You'll see three buttons. The one on the left has a percentage in it. Click that button and choose "fit to window". BLAM! You should be able to see the entire frame.

Hope that helps.

www.wakethewitchmovie.com
www.bloodritesmovie.com

Back