Should I go to University for Film?

I'm currently applied for business, just finished high school so my lifes at a crazy stage. Every time I think about what career I want or what Major I should go into, I have no motivation. Nothing really appeals me overly that I'd really want to do. All I want to do in life is become a film maker/ Acter. I want to go to film school, act on stage and in front of a camera. Should I continue to do these on side rarely because I'm very busy, or should I commit myself to doing what I love? Also my parents may not be to happy about me asking to switch to film kinda unreliable business. I'm so confused can I get some HELP PLEASE!!!

hould I commit myself to doing what I love? Also my parents may not be to happy about me asking to switch to film kinda unreliable business. I'm so confused can I get some HELP PLEASE!!!

Yes, you should. Do what you love. Don't be a grumpy old man with a business degree he didn't want looking back on missed opportunities he had to make his dreams come true. Nobody likes that guy. And there are too many of them, anyway.

Do what you want to do - go to school for film and acting - what you are passionate about. Find a school/program that allows you to do what you want, and gives you a level of security to do so. One of the reasons I picked Columbia College Chicago for film was because of the amazing opportunities they give their film and music students. It's not an unreliable business to them - in fact, if you graduate from them without a job, it's on you, not them.

People who say that work in the arts is 'unreliable' are ignorant. Incredibly ignorant. The arts - film, music, television, etc - they're always being made all the time all of the world - and always will be. No recession or the like will ever make them go away - they're concreted into our society - just as they are necessary.

Work hard, do what you want with your life.

Last edited:
Do you know of any good film schools in Canada or the states? Also I'm guessing these schools are going to be really expensive is that right?

Do you know of any good film schools in Canada or the states? Also I'm guessing these schools are going to be really expensive is that right?

Well, any education is a good education. With that said, your local community college's course on film that gives out Flip Videos is going to present you with less opportunities than a respected school, perhaps one with an alumni network and connections within the industry.

Canada actually has a nice film scene - plenty of things film in Canada. (I remember all the old Stargate episodes, for all three different series were shot up there, for example.) If I remember correctly, the Vancouver Film School is notable. Here's a random list I found by googling below:
http://www.filmmaking.net/filmschools/Canada/

Schooling in Canada is much cheaper than the states, correct? (Most the time, I believe)

In the states, you essentially have three options if you want to be closely connected with the industry. New York, Chicago, or California. I'm sure there will be many who debate this, but it's the case for the vast majority of notable film schools here in the states. Plus, those three cities have an incredible amount of the entertainment industry within them. So randomly - (again, just spitballing)

California: UCLA, USC, Chapman, Biola, etc
New York - NYU, Columbia University, Pratt, etc
Chicago - Columbia College, DePaul, Northwestern, etc.

List of top: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti...chicago-has-three-of-nations-top-film-schools

That list confirms my assumption of the three cities, with the exception of Austin and Boston. But, I'd debate the industry isn't as vibrant there as it is in the other three states.

I'm going to Columbia College Chicago for film, tv and music this fall - Personally, I'm incredibly satisfied with my decision. My tuition, while still outrageous, is much lower than if I had gone to Chapman or NYU. Furthermore, the facilities and available internships, job opportunities, and alumni network at Columbia coaxed me immediately. Any of the schools I listed above will have similar programs and facilities, but I found my place at Columbia due to my love of the city, campus, and their program.

Edit: to put more into context what I mean by 'outrageous tuition' - Columbia will have me sitting at 40k a year - a lot higher than a state school, but remarkably low for a private, well established liberal arts school. Other schools on that list, the likes of NYU and Chapman, will have you looking at 55k+. Regardless, I'll be in student debt. But I'd rather pay off 15k less a year. (Not to mention I got some nice scholarships for my portfolio, which did help)

Hope that helps! (This was my life for three years - now that I've gotten into film school and am going, I hope I can convey some of the knowledge I picked up from the process of trying to go to one!)

Last edited:
Update: It seems my assumption that Canadian schools are less expensive in this category, is partially correct. The Vancouver school I mentioned costs nearly as much as the best California school. So, I suppose that's reassuring in regard to the industry existing in Canada.

However, many of the other schools on that list seem much less expensive than most schools in the states, holding my assumption partially accurate. The second one linked below, for example, has a yearly tuition of 8k. Damn! Not bad!

http://vfs.edu/admissions/international/start-dates-and-tuition
http://www.langara.bc.ca/continuing...ams/digital-film-production/index.html?rr=dfp

This University as well seems to be incredibly affordable, especially considering it gives a BFA in production, rather than studies. http://www.concordia.ca/admissions/tuition-fees/calculator.html

So yeah, there's a lot of avenues for you in your home country if you don't want to come down here and drown in debt with us!

Last edited:
Can totally relate to how you're feeling. Was like this myself a couple of years ago, then after convincing my parents (and it took a pretty lot of convincing I can tell you that), I decided to go for a masters degree in Mass Communication. It was a two year course and we had the most interesting curriculum ever. Spread over four semesters, we had subjects like Advertising, Digital Media, Public Relations, Development Communication, Television, Radio and even Film Appreciation where we were shown the best films of the bygone (and present) era as well as taught the basic nuances of film-making. So there!

You could try opting for something similar which has a whole lot of avenues packed in and then when you're sure what you would like to go ahead with, you can take your pick. The best part about such a course is that if your Plan A doesn't work out for some reason, you will always have a Plan B and a Plan C and D.

All the best!

Okay, since I am just in the process of going to NYU Tisch (though not for Film Production, yet, I'm trying to do a double major) in Fall, I'm going to try to demystify the 'outrageous' tuition claims.

Yes schools like NYU, USC, UCLA, etc. are extremely expensive, BUT some of them have some great financial aid. Of the big schools I only applied to NYU and USC because I knew that out of state applicants at UCLA got very little aid. USC has some of the best financial aid out of any school that I applied to, as they guarantee 100% need met to all U.S. students. But of course it is very difficult to make it in that university, I tried really hard but was rejected (this year was their toughest apparently with even a lower acceptance rate than before).

NYU is not known for its great financial aid, in fact I always had this in my mind "I'll get accepted to NYU but won't attend because they don't give very good financial aid." But when I got the news that I was in, I looked at the financial aid and there was a $50,000 scholarship listed. I wasn't a particularly special applicant I thought, but apparently due to a mix of my financial need and my outstanding portfolio/academic record I got this amount of money. It covers all of the tuition but I am living on campus so the total cost is a lot higher, but it is manageable for my family as I also got grants from FAFSA and basically we'll just have to pay $14,000 per year through work-study and some loans that my parents can easily handle.

The basic idea that I wanted to get across though is don't be afraid to apply to your dream schools or to the most prestigious schools even with a lack of money. When a university accepts you, they WANT YOU to attend and will try to make it easy for you to go. But even if it isn't manageable or you get rejected, you will discover your true nest (and if not, then you can always transfer or attend another school for graduate studies). I always saw myself attending USC or Chapman, California dreamin' of course, but somehow when I saw the NYU acceptance with the scholarship (this was before the USC rejection), I just knew that NYU would fit me best.

Also, make sure to apply to a bunch of schools. I was a bit extreme, I applied to 17 schools (with 2 more applications that were dropped, don't do this though, that was due to my crazy insecurities!). If NYU wasn't an option I still had plenty of good universities for non-film related studies and some great film schools (Columbia College Chicago, Emerson, and Boston University).

And finally, do what you love man. If you love film then of course pursue film. Don't live for your parents because well, it's your life and you are starting to make your own decisions. Although you don't necessarily need to pursue film directly through a Film Production major. There are many many many paths. A lot of people with film experience have told me that a great path to film is to take a degree in a Humanities major such as Literature, Comparative Literature, Philosophy, History, Film Studies, etc. to simply live and breathe stories that will help inform your later work and then take Film Production for grad school. There are also filmmakers that never go to college at all, or never decide to take production courses at all. Also college is a time to discover yourself, I always feel like I'm 100% certain that cinema is my life, but there is a chance that I'll discover it's not for me and try to study something else. It's the same for everyone, so I guess what I'm trying to say is, follow your passion but be open if somehow your passion changes.

That being said, your parents are right. Film is an unreliable business. It's a difficult business whether you want to be a studio filmmaker (hell, I've read even Spielberg is having hard times), a commercial independent filmmaker, an art filmmaker, or an experimental filmmaker. But it depends on what you want out of Film. If you want a secure successful career financially, then film is probably not the best field to get involved in. But if you are passionate about cinema and are certain that you want to dedicate your life to it no matter what, then it's a good idea. Or if you really want to push the medium forward some way and make some really amazing films, then do it man. But it all depends on you, what are your motivations, and whether a career in film will really satisfy you.

Haha I've written quite a bit, but I hope some of it was helpful :)

Last edited:
I'm currently applied for business, just finished high school so my lifes at a crazy stage. Every time I think about what career I want or what Major I should go into, I have no motivation. Nothing really appeals me overly that I'd really want to do. All I want to do in life is become a film maker/ Acter. I want to go to film school, act on stage and in front of a camera. Should I continue to do these on side rarely because I'm very busy, or should I commit myself to doing what I love? Also my parents may not be to happy about me asking to switch to film kinda unreliable business. I'm so confused can I get some HELP PLEASE!!!

You're young, so your goals will change over the next few decades. If you have no motivation, then you should go to university, perhaps in a general arts degree, and then decide what you want in life. But you say you want to be a film maker, so you have some motivation, so you should focus on a fine arts or a degree in film.

Your parents would be unhappy, and I had the same problem, but I can't tell you how to work it out in your family. Perhaps you can major in a career that will give you a day job, even as you pursue your dream - I have a day job, which is my own business, and I'm pursuing my dream.

Good luck! :)

No college degree is a guarantee of anything anymore, other than a big student loan debt (in most cases).

So, if you're going to go to college, it might as well be for something you're interested in and passionate about. If you're just going to go so that maybe, one day, you might be able to get a job in some field.. that's honestly a waste of money, there are literally thousands of grads who majored in courses that should lead to a good job who are now without work, or working fast food. Nobody needs a doctorate to work the fryer at the local burger barn.

Either go to school for something you really want to learn about, or don't go at all.

Okay, since I am just in the process of going to NYU Tisch (though not for Film Production, yet, I'm trying to do a double major) in Fall, I'm going to try to demystify the 'outrageous' tuition claims.

When a university accepts you, they WANT YOU to attend and will try to make it easy for you to go.

MiniJames certainly has some very valid points - but I do disagree with the two I quoted above. It's absolutely wonderful that he got a 50,000 dollar scholarship - that's incredibly impressive, and congratulations! But, I don't think the fact that he received such a scholarship demystifies or resigns any claims that the tuition is still outrageously expensive. Most students won't receive a scholarship like that - so again, congratulations! The majority of students, however, will receive significantly less than 3/4 of their tuition. (I received about 16,000 from Columbia) I think James is the severe minority here - I'm sure that 1/50 students applying receive the kind of package he has.

I'm sure, as you said, your financial need played a part in it, but that's normally where your federal loans and grants come into play as a result of the FASFA, and a bit less from the school. If you received a $50,000 scholarship to the school, it's likely because of your academic portfolio being outstanding.

I think the point I'm trying to get at, is that you're a minority. Most students probably won't receive that kind of aid, and likely WILL be left with expensive tuition - even with a strong academic/creative portfolio.

Furthermore - I think that a school's acceptance of someone is only partially a statement of, 'Come here, we need you.' Again, in James' case, it probably was - hence the scholarship. Many will be accepted at schools but not be given much financial aid - Unless your application makes you a necessity to them, which again, is unlikely. I'd think many are happy to accept you, but move on when your pockets aren't deep enough, because there are plenty of kids with them.

Again, I congratulate James and think his post is very valid - but I think his situation isn't something to generalize with - it's a very good, unlikely one!

Last edited:
MiniJames certainly has some very valid points - but I do disagree with the two I quoted above. It's absolutely wonderful that he got a 50,000 dollar scholarship - that's incredibly impressive, and congratulations! But, I don't think the fact that he received such a scholarship demystifies or resigns any claims that the tuition is still outrageously expensive. Most students won't receive a scholarship like that - so again, congratulations! The majority of students, however, will receive significantly less than 3/4 of their tuition. (I received about 16,000 from Columbia) I think James is the severe minority here - I'm sure that 1/50 students applying receive the kind of package he has.

I'm sure, as you said, your financial need played a part in it, but that's normally where your federal loans and grants come into play as a result of the FASFA, and a bit less from the school. If you received a $50,000 scholarship to the school, it's likely because of your academic portfolio being outstanding.

I think the point I'm trying to get at, is that you're a minority. Most students probably won't receive that kind of aid, and likely WILL be left with expensive tuition - even with a strong academic/creative portfolio.

Furthermore - I think that a school's acceptance of someone is only partially a statement of, 'Come here, we need you.' Again, in James' case, it probably was - hence the scholarship. Many will be accepted at schools but not be given much financial aid - Unless your application makes you a necessity to them, which again, is unlikely. I'd think many are happy to accept you, but move on when your pockets aren't deep enough, because there are plenty of kids with them.

Again, I congratulate James and think his post is very valid - but I think his situation isn't something to generalize with - it's a very good, unlikely one!

Thanks!

And I guess, yes I'll concede that your point is valid. Most people don't/won't get scholarships or huge grants, but I think my main point still stands. Don't be afraid to apply just because of financial need/cost of attendance because it's always worth a shot to find out. I know I wasn't going to apply to some schools due to tuition but thanks to an organization called Questbridge and some friends, I found out that it was worth a try, and somehow I made it to somewhere that I didn't expect. And don't worry about application fees, most people with financial need don't even have to pay, so I think its still worth a try.

I'll say what I say to many of my friends that are going into their senior year, look at all of your options, and don't settle for something you don't entirely want before even trying. Some of my friends immediately said that they were going to community college. I say, community college is fine but you have the resources and time (you can apply to community colleges way later in the year) to apply to different schools first so do that, and if that doesn't work out then go to community college. I personally had so many options because I just tried (a little too much even) to finish as many applications as I can! But for example, I think there is no reason for a person who wants to go to film school, not to apply to Columbia College Chicago (which is an EXCELLENT film school). At some point I just think that a person just has to be willing to work for their dream even if it seems unlikely to them.

I also just found that even if the big schools didn't accept me, there were just so many wonderful options I was going to be satisfied with (including some community colleges). I'd also say that people shouldn't idolize a particular dream school because there are just so many wonderful ones, keep your mind open, you may even find that some of these less famous schools fit you more!

And yeah actually I said that about schools "wanting you to come" if they accept you just because I kind of heard it from a friend that got into a college the year before and my guidance counselor, and it matched up with my experiences so I kinda just thought that way. But I'll agree that it probably isn't the case with most people.

There's a thing about doing what you love...
Once you start doing it for money, it's your job.
Most people will end up hating their jobs.

There's no shame in getting a day job.

There's a thing about doing what you love...
Once you start doing it for money, it's your job.
Most people will end up hating their jobs.

There's no shame in getting a day job.

Those people are not doing what they love. A job is something you do to pay the bills... doing something you love is something everyone should strive to spend their life doing, if it happens to pay the bills that's a bonus. But if you find yourself hating what you do for a living, you're decidedly doing the wrong thing with your life. :cool:

Those people are not doing what they love. A job is something you do to pay the bills... doing something you love is something everyone should strive to spend their life doing, if it happens to pay the bills that's a bonus. But if you find yourself hating what you do for a living, you're decidedly doing the wrong thing with your life. :cool:
The point was that what you love isn't static.
How many people marry a person they love and than end up divorced?
People change, priorities change and realities set in.

In sickness and in health. If you are fine with the idea of never hitting it big and still hunting down below the line line film jobs to feed your family in your forties than by all means go all in on filmmaking right away. Otherwise I recommend that you get a more stable day job and keep filmmaking as a hobby until you have developed your skills.

It takes no degree to get into filmmaking and filmmaking degree doesn't guarantee anything. The only true benefit of film school these days are contacts you make if you go to a more prestigious program.

I agree with Will Vincent's point of view though. I really feel like if you don't dedicate yourself fully to what you love then you probably won't even really succeed at what you love. Yes love is not a stable thing, by all means if you fall in love with something that's not cinema MORE then pursue that, but if cinema is what you love most then I think that should be your primary goal.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think that most successful filmmakers (in different ways, for some success is commercial, for others it is artistic or political) are the ones that dedicate themselves fully to making their films.

You also need to have a mature view of "love" ... which many people who get divorced don't.

It's not all puppy dogs and rainbows. Often time love involves gut-wrenching agony and major frustration... sound like any film projects you've been involved in? I know it does for me. But filmmaking is the only constant 'love' I've had since childhood. I've spent more time putting off pursuing it than actually pursuing it, and that hasn't made me happy.

tumblr_m9xkmtKEtd1r8gsqgo6_250.gif

Not going to film school won't close a door on a career in film.
Going to film school can potentially close a door on some other career that he might enjoy, is more stable and pays more

If he wants to work on other people's films and actually knows what it's like (has some on set experience) than he should absolutely go to film school.

If he's like most people at that age who dream of Hollywood but don't have any practical experience, I say go get some first while doing something else before putting all the eggs in the filmmaking basket.
People are more than capable of doing more that on thing. Life isn't some kind of an MMO where there's a set number of career skill points to be used.

You can breath film and work on your craft for decades but you still probably won't become a big time director or whatever.

Last edited:
In sickness and in health. If you are fine with the idea of never hitting it big and still hunting down below the line line film jobs to feed your family in your forties than by all means go all in on filmmaking right away.

Well, I don't think Indietalk is going anywhere in four or five years. I'll check back in then, we'll see if I have a job!

Back