Should I get a DSLR Camera?

Hey, so I've been making videos for a while now, alternating between a mini-dv and a HD camcorder. However, I would like to get some better quality for my videos. Now, I have a tech channel and my main audience is YouTube, so I'm not shooting any feature films *yet* lol. I was thinking of getting an entry level DSLR like the Canon T3. I've been doing a lot of reading about lenses and the advantages of using DSLR for video. So does anyone have any suggestions for a good DSLR camera for video in the $500-550 range? Is the Canon T3 a good choice? Should I just avoid the DSLR altogether? Thanks.

I got a t2i from target for 529 dollars with a standard kit lens. For the amount of money you have, you can definitely get a t2i and a decent lens so I would do that. It's gonna be a good investment

Buy the T2i without the kit lens. Buy a prime lens which is fast (Low F Number)

Buy a 50mm F1.8 or 50mm F1.4 by Canon. If you have enough money, get a Samyang 35mm F1.4 instead.

Prime lenses make you think creatively. There is no zooming in or zooming out, you gotta find your place to get the shot! It's what i did and still do! For me it's primes. I absolutely don't like shooting with Zooms. Unless it's a 70-200mm F2.8 by Canon :D

DSLR isn't an all-purpose camera, but for narrative films, and even some type of documentary shooting, I think there's a pretty good reason DSLR has become the poor-man's choice. In the price-range you mentioned, for your purposes, I think a T2i would be great (I've been very happy with mine). Don't forget you're going to need to spend money on audio, though, too. Can't use DSLR for audio.

I personally think you should stick with the kit lens until you get a bit more of a feel for workign with a DSLR, and also what focal lengths you actually like. It's all well and good to get a 50mm, but if you find that using a kit lens you're generally working at around 35mm, or 24mm or 85mm then it may be a better investment to get the focal lengths you popularly use. A kit lens is fine for YouTube stuff, and works perfectly as long as you work in enough light.

Indeed, I am awesome. :cool:

Man, you're cramming a lot of fx into that short. Got better as it went along, but scriptwise wasn't ready to shoot. Good show getting it done. :)

Your other tech-oriented ones are quite good, btw.

Back