Should I audition actors in this case?

Two of my actors have dropped out of the project, but if I hold auditions again, that could take at least a month, for enough people to apply, and I don't want to keep the other actors waiting from our original schedule we agreed on. I could get friends to take over the roles, but they don't have the same strong presence, or acting charisma, that the original actors I picked did. So what's the best of the two unfortunate choices here?

I was told before that when my DP and sound guy left, that I should still continue anyway, and not hold off to find new ones. That way my actors won't see me as a flake, and it well set a better impression. But when two ACTORS leave, then what? I can do the DP and sound with some friends assistance, but should I actually get friends to help there as well, other than recasting and re-auditioning?

Last edited:
Probably wouldn't word it like that. Write an extra small part, something that's not that important, a few lines that you could ultimately cut if needed. If they both show up, shoot a take or two wide and tight. If only one shows up, scrap it and he's your plan A. Even if you don't use that scene, you give him the footage and he get's a reel piece.

I've expanded and collapsed parts on sets before. Not enough actors? These two can be the same guy. Too many actors? We'll split this part up and make it two guys.

No budget = a need for ultimate flexibility, and building a team means it's important that everyone is involved.

All excellent ideas. Including the fake extra scene. Put it in your extras reel.

Probably wouldn't word it like that. Write an extra small part, something that's not that important, a few lines that you could ultimately cut if needed. If they both show up, shoot a take or two wide and tight. If only one shows up, scrap it and he's your plan A. Even if you don't use that scene, you give him the footage and he get's a reel piece.

I've expanded and collapsed parts on sets before. Not enough actors? These two can be the same guy. Too many actors? We'll split this part up and make it two guys.

No budget = a need for ultimate flexibility, and building a team means it's important that everyone is involved.

True I did that with one of my previous scenes to give an actor something to do. I just thought of a way to use a fourth guy, that would make more sense to the plot actually, so thanks.

Last edited:
Remember, you are Indie. So forget the extra actors and instead bring a couple of wigs, a change of clothes, a little makeup and hey presto, you have a cast of thousands.

You need a blonde woman with a red dress - well you stick on a red dress, a blonde wig, some makeup, heels and there you go. You then need a thug - take off the wig, shave your head, put on the DMs (remembering to take off the dress...) and there you go.

From your posts, I think the whole dress / wig combo would suit you well.

Or you just change your actors halfway through and call it 'art.' Remember, you did it deliberately and called it 'art.'

Remember, you are Indie. So forget the extra actors and instead bring a couple of wigs, a change of clothes, a little makeup and hey presto, you have a cast of thousands.

You need a blonde woman with a red dress - well you stick on a red dress, a blonde wig, some makeup, heels and there you go. You then need a thug - take off the wig, shave your head, put on the DMs (remembering to take off the dress...) and there you go.

From your posts, I think the whole dress / wig combo would suit you well.

Or you just change your actors halfway through and call it 'art.' Remember, you did it deliberately and called it 'art.'

That's called 'Monty Python' ;)

In one of the first few narratives I ever shot, a bunch of SNL type sketches for my High School spanish class, we had to change actors halfway though a scene. Actor A had to go to practice so we took his orange polo and stuck it on actor b, a kid a full 10-12" shorter. Kind of became a joke. Seriously, most people never noticed and if they did it was a while after the switch haha.

Yeah there was one scene in my script so far, where I had to get a guy to double for another guy. He was wearing a ski mask disquise so hopefully nobody will notice his different build or height.

Yeah there was one scene in my script so far, where I had to get a guy to double for another guy. He was wearing a ski mask disquise so hopefully nobody will notice his different build or height.

You see - exactly what I mentioned. A wig, hockey mask, motorcycle helmet - it's all good.

Look here - a fantastic opening sequence and they're all wearing masks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0KU16cpf8A

I think this is the way forward.

Yep for sure. There is another script I wanna do later on, where the villains where masks for most of it, so finding replacement actors throughout should be an easy way to go, if necessary.

Well, I teamed up with other filmmakers for a "core" group and two of them can act (or at least stand in front of a camera and delivery lines, j/k they can act) so when an actor bales either one of two things happens...

One of the Crew replaces them.

Their character suddenly dies.

I've had it happen in the past, and without qualms I was like "okay, he didn't show so his character is now dead, we'll make changes to the script on the fly but lets keep going."

It also helps if you shoot as linear as possible or shoot as much of a talent on one day/weekend so that if they are unavailable later your golden.

Best.

For now just get bodies (preferably live ones) to be in front of the camera.

True, but in order for his character to die, the actor has to show up, so you can see him get killed. I guess you can have one actor say to another that he died, but it will come off contrived.

New policy: First shot day of any new actor is their death scene.

Lets 'em know right off the bat they have the power to make themselves expendable. ;)

You don't need to show the actor dead. You can show a tombstone and have people talking about how the character died suddenly. You could just have the other characters talking about how the person died. There are many more ways.
H3ll, yeah!
Two words: Burn. Victim.

Solved!
Bagged and tagged!

Last edited:
You don't need to show the actor dead. You can show a tombstone and have people talking about how the character died suddenly. You could just have the other characters talking about how the person died. There are many more ways.

You could superimpose an explosion mid-scene, then after the smoke clears, cut to a brand new character/actor investigating the backpack bomb.

Tell everyone you're going for an m. night twist.

Sure that works if there is an explanation for their being a bomb in the middle of a half filmed plot in the first place lol. There is a fight scene that I need so I will have to find stand ins who are willing to do a fight, when they first show up, without much rehearsing. Hopefully they can pull it off.

Last edited:
Back