Should I audition actors in this case?

Two of my actors have dropped out of the project, but if I hold auditions again, that could take at least a month, for enough people to apply, and I don't want to keep the other actors waiting from our original schedule we agreed on. I could get friends to take over the roles, but they don't have the same strong presence, or acting charisma, that the original actors I picked did. So what's the best of the two unfortunate choices here?

I was told before that when my DP and sound guy left, that I should still continue anyway, and not hold off to find new ones. That way my actors won't see me as a flake, and it well set a better impression. But when two ACTORS leave, then what? I can do the DP and sound with some friends assistance, but should I actually get friends to help there as well, other than recasting and re-auditioning?

Last edited:
Forget the formal audition, you're in the middle of production. Do craigslist and quickly select someone who'll stay for the entire production and having enough acting skills so you can edit around the gaffes (extra takes, move the camera often!).

Good luck.

Remember...

You can pick your friends.
And you can pick your nose.
But you can't pick your friend's nose.

2309740316_42e273c41a.jpg

Ray, your photo disproves your theory. ;)
I dunno.
I don't think they're enjoying this particular G-o-G action.

And much more relevant, it proves you need to know how to use your camera!
Subjects are out of focus and are not convincingly inserting digits into each others' nostril. ;)

I dunno.
I don't think they're enjoying this particular G-o-G action.

And much more relevant, it proves you need to know how to use your camera!
Subjects are out of focus and are not convincingly inserting digits into each others' nostril. ;)

Is there a photo of eating each others boogers? That would be the money shot.

Agreed, i suspect part of the reason is you are taking too long already. A short film is usually shot within two week. And how long has it been for you?

Two weeks?! My first took me 3 months of prep, casting, scouting and assembling a crew. The shooting was five weeks as we could only shoot on Saturdays and we had five, entirely separate locations.

This is four months for a few minute short which won't be particularly good! On the plus side, all the actors and crew turned up early, we had zero location issues and the f@ckups came due to a script supervisor who needed to go home early on a critical day (understandable as he was doing this for free) and we did not understand the limitations of the kit we were using which is something we could only learn through physically shooting.

My next short is in February. The location scouting has already started. Incidentally, if anyone knows an abandoned bar / car park in London I could borrow?

Two weeks?! My first took me 3 months of prep, casting, scouting and assembling a crew. The shooting was five weeks as we could only shoot on Saturdays and we had five, entirely separate locations.

This is four months for a few minute short which won't be particularly good! On the plus side, all the actors and crew turned up early, we had zero location issues and the f@ckups came due to a script supervisor who needed to go home early on a critical day (understandable as he was doing this for free) and we did not understand the limitations of the kit we were using which is something we could only learn through physically shooting.

My next short is in February. The location scouting has already started. Incidentally, if anyone knows an abandoned bar / car park in London I could borrow?

I meant only shooting time, usually post and/or pre production takes longer than filming itself, but then again, pre or post productions dont need the rest of the crew.

However, my bad for assuming that when people shoot, they just shoot for a few days straight purely based on experience. But yes, in the case where you can only shoot for a day a week, it would take quite a bit longer.

You need to find people who put art before money. And, in today's economy that's hard.

But, they're out there.

There are too many people who want big money with no track record. That goes for both cast and crew people.

When you interview people, you need to ask them how do they feel about paying their dues and building a resume before they can land a gig with a pay check? How do they feel about that?

You should see how delusional non-union actors are going on auditions for TV commercials that pay tens of thousands of dollars they think they are going to be picked with no resume. They come up with all sorts of excuses when they don't get picked and lose out on smaller productions auditions.

I've lookedd at lots of DP demo reels. Too many want greater pay than their skill set dictactes. Too many have fancy cameras they can't even focus on a subject. This is sad, but true.

Most DPs only shoot dialogue scenes too.

I got a good DP for my last production in my budget range after going through a good 200 reels.

You need to regroup and get more experience interviewing people. Without a track record yourself, ffinding good people will be hard.

Do the craiglist thing:
find an actor who's in the right age-range for the role, who hopefully has some experience, who is living close enough and who will show up.
But don't bet on it: ask friends as well to be sure you have an actor.
And continue shooting.

I once post a casting call 2 days before shooting to get a replacement, selected an actor the day before shooting and we met on the set.
No time for auditions? Don't do auditions.

Good luck!

Okay I've got three possible replacements. I suppose it's a bad idea to ask one of the actors if they wanna come by the set, as a possible stand in, in case one doesn't show up lol. And yes I should have inquired more to if they would put art, before money. I guess I felt awkward asking that, so I didn't go there directly. Another reason why it takes long is sometimes the actors can take a few days to email me back. Phone calls could work faster, if they answer, but I don't want to be too pushy or give the wrong impression.

Last edited:
Okay I've got three possible replacements. I suppose it's a bad idea to ask one of the actors if they wanna come by the set, as a possible stand in, in case one doesn't show up lol.

Probably wouldn't word it like that. Write an extra small part, something that's not that important, a few lines that you could ultimately cut if needed. If they both show up, shoot a take or two wide and tight. If only one shows up, scrap it and he's your plan A. Even if you don't use that scene, you give him the footage and he get's a reel piece.

I've expanded and collapsed parts on sets before. Not enough actors? These two can be the same guy. Too many actors? We'll split this part up and make it two guys.

No budget = a need for ultimate flexibility, and building a team means it's important that everyone is involved.

Back