• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shotgun Mic?

I have a JVC GRDA30U camera pic here:
jvc-gr-da30us-mini-dv-camcorder-with-30x-digital-zoom.jpg
So I want to start making shorts and the internal microphone is not cutting it. I want to buy a shotgun that I can just put on the camera. I DO NOT NEED PROFESSIONAL RESULTS AND I DON'T WANT TO BUY A NEW CAMERA. I just need it so that the audio is clear enough so people will stay interested. I won't be shooting across fields I just need the people who I am recording near me to be able to be heard without wind and excessive background noise. My price range would be 100 dollars and less and please stay in that range. ( Poor teen :P) If anyone could help it would be appreciated!

You're going to be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum who recommends recording dialog from a camera-mounted microphone. Unless your camera is only 3 feet away from the speaker it's going to sound like dung, even with the highest-quality shotgun mic. If that truly doesn't matter to you, then your question is doubly moot because your options, if any, of finding a decent shotgun mic for $100 or less are probably close to nil.

I think Radio Shack makes one with a mini plug, but unless you can get it close to the talent you might just as well use the built-in mic.

Have you thought about picking up a lavalier mic instead?

I think it's great that you want to do anything you can to get better
sound.

The further away the mic is from the actors, the higher the volume
needs to be. The higher the volume, the more “noise” you get. Your
goal is to have a very high signal to noise ratio - more signal
(the dialogue) less noise (the background). Even a very good,
expensive Sennheiser mounted on the camera will pick up a lot of
background ambiance because it’s far away from the actors.

So you need a boom pole. This can be as simple as a painters pole
with a microphone shock mount on it. CLICK HERE for a usable, if
not excellent, shotgun mic that you can attach to a boom and get
better sound than your on camera mic.

Alright so I should shy away from on top camera options. But how would I get the microphone to connect to my camera do I need to buy extra long wires and if so what type of cables should I buy?

If you're using the camera you pictured in your post, you'll need one that has a mini-plug like I mentioned. The Azden that Rik linked to has a mini as well. If you're going the boom pole route you'll need an extension cable with a mini plug (male) on one end and mini jack (female) on the other. Because this type of cable is unbalanced it'll be prone to buzzing, humming, and radio interference so you'll have to be careful where and how you use it.

If you get a lavalier, they often come with fairly long cables attached, or you can get a wireless system, again with mini plugs.

You have several options.

One is to buy something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/335809-REG/Beachtek_DXA_2S_DXA_2S_Dual_XLR.html

But I thought it was a bit over costly for the end result with a normal camera.

We have used a unidirectional microphone with a micro jag, they work really good for what you may need.
I bought one on ebay from these people. Really good results. A bit low volume, but I also blame the camera, still the quality is nice, and free of most background noises.
http://www.azdencorp.com/new/home.php?cat=22

You have several options.

One is to buy something like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/335809-REG/Beachtek_DXA_2S_DXA_2S_Dual_XLR.html

But I thought it was a bit over costly for the end result with a normal camera.

We have used a unidirectional microphone with a micro jag, they work really good for what you may need.
I bought one on ebay from these people. Really good results. A bit low volume, but I also blame the camera, still the quality is nice, and free of most background noises.
http://www.azdencorp.com/new/home.php?cat=22

What I don't like about that beachtek device is that it doesn't offer phantom power, which is a must for me and my existing mic collection.

Back