Shopping for External Hard Drive!

I'm in dire need of an external. My media work for my school is backing up, and an external would be ideal to transfer my data back home to work.

Anyone have any suggestions?
My price range is Under $100
The lower the better :yes:

Black Friday should open up many options too I hope :]

Your best bet was BlackFriday... last Christmas (not the recent past 2011) 2010, I needed more HD...

I thought about the problem of going to MicroCenter and BestB.... No, don't go there because 'everyone and their grandmother' goes there for comp, elect and tv.

I decided to take a shot in the dark and went to Target and Walmart.... "NO ONE goes there for computer stuff", right?! RIGHT!

Bought 2....two.... two 3.5" External HD, 2TB each = 4TB. 59.00 each
Bought 1....one 2.5" 1tb drive as a gift. 69.00

5tb worth of externals for 190.00

I could had gotten more if I had more money.

I'm in dire need of an external. My media work for my school is backing up, and an external would be ideal to transfer my data back home to work.

Anyone have any suggestions?
My price range is Under $100
The lower the better :yes:

Black Friday should open up many options too I hope :]

Tigerdirect.com is where I buy most of my gear. Sign up for their email, at least once a week they have a pretty killer hard drive deal and every month they do a "black friday" though it isn't as extreme as the real one in November.

Make sure the drive have the right connections and formats for your hardware and operating systems.

Not all computers are equipted for firewire or USB 3.

Windows users generally have to reformat the external hard drives for NTSC to handle very large HD files greater than 2 Gigs in size.

Last edited:
Windows users generally have to reformat the external hard drives for NTSC to handle very large HD files greater than 2 Gigs in size.

NTFC. Hooray for confusingly similar acronymns! Anyway, post Windows XP, that's not so much an issue anymore (if memory serves, XP allowed either a FAT32 or NTFC installation). I can't imagine a disk shipping formatted to a file system that doesn't support large files these days, though that definitely was the case at one time.

As you say, checking your ports is a good idea. And if you're looking at a USB 3 drive, and don't have any USB 3 ports, on a desktop adding a controller card isn't difficult, and probably a good idea for an upgrade!

If you can, wait for a couple of months until the prices come back down to "normal". The weather disaster overseas has caused hard drives to skyrocket (x2 in some cases).

Last edited:
Back