• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shooting with the JVC GY-HD100U

Has anyone shot with the JVC GY-HD100U? I'm wanting to shoot scene from my upcoming independent feature film, "The Watchman's Edict" in HD at 24fps at this camera is constantly being recommended, not only for the pricing, but also the image quality.

Any thoughts?

I've never been a fan of JVC cameras, especially the look out of them, though that said I haven't seen a picture out of one, or even seen one used in quite a few years.

Two "no" from people who haven't used the camera.

I own one. It's a great camera. I have shot several features and some
TV (Amazing Race) with it. I think the reason the camera is constantly
being recommended is because those who actually use the camera
know it to be an excellent camera. For some reason people who do not
use it don't like it.

While I can't say I've used it. I did edit a teaser for a reality travel show, where they used this camera. If the camera has good light, the picture was amazing. When there wasn't good light, not so good. But I don't imagine that to be an issue with a feature, as you'll probably be lighting each scene.

Two "no" from people who haven't used the camera.

...For some reason people who do not
use it don't like it.

Every JVC I have used in the past has been frustrating, but they were camcorders, so I'd be slightly more willing to TRY a higher end model. I was relaying that my experience with the brand in general has not been positive.

I've shot close to 100 hours on it and well over a thousand on other pro JVC cameras. It's a solid camera for sure. JVC makes quality stuff.

That said, if you're buying or renting you should really go with a cinema camera now or on the cheaper end, a DSLR. Camcorderas are good for a lot of things, but the 100 came out years ago and there's been newer technology and innovations since then. For the same price you can get a much better image now.

Now, if it's free or if you have free access to it anyway, that's another thing altogether.

Back