Shooting Killer Squirrel Next Sat.

Being new to the forum here, I don't know if anyone will care too much, BUT
I am shooting my second short film next Saturday. It's a slapstick/silent comedy with a run time of under three minutes entitled "Killer Squirrel". It is shooting in Fremont and Port Clinton, Ohio. We've filled it with movie homages and a really twisted "tail" (play on words intended). Mike Bove (Trunks & Corpses) will D.P. and Wayne Orris (A Joker's Card, Close Encounters of The 4th Kind, CROPS, Twenty First Century) will star as "The man".

I am looking forward to surprising all those who found "Twenty First Century' too intellectual and wordy with this very silly short. :) :lol:

Lilith, congrats on your Wreck-Beach showing, your contribution to Sonnyboo's 'Horors of War', and your next project, 'Killer Squirrels'. The work sounds very funny...I'm a hugh fan of slapstick...NYYYYYAAAHHHHH! :D

yeah, Christine is the most in demand lady in Cleveland, next to Arya, the most in demand composer here :) everyone wants them... :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately, I lost my prime location today. Have to reshuffle in a hurry. No, it is not B&W- full color mini dv.

I think Captain mislabeled it "Just another day in the life of Satan". The real name is "Twenty First Century". It's not in competition- just showing.

Well, we shot it! About 7 hours of shooting time, for 38 mins. of footage which will translate into a 2:30 final cut. We got some great shots, but in hindsight, I think we didn't push the envelope enough on shot selection... Pretty standard stuff, but it tells the story effectively.

Mike Bove was wonderful as D.P. and Wayne Orris played "The Man" to perfection- even better than I imagined. Chandler Chapman gets the "petrified squirrel wrangler" credit for his hard work, and Eric Potter picked up his first fillm credit... but what do you call the guy who threw the lawn clippings... ?:)

Editing tomorrow at MDI in Cleveland. Plan to submit to festivals, and likely get it online. I will get some screen stills up after tomorrow. It's a silly little piece of fluff. Just for fun. :)

Hopefully, you send it to a film festival and win sumthin'!
This was a 'pet project' that we wrote over a decade ago, and I felt that I had to get it out of my head. (Yes, Killer Squirrels have been dancing in my brain for 10 years... guess that explains a lot. :))

I plan to screen it at my local IndieClub in September, since the people who made it happen all met there. So if you are in the Cleveland area, come to our meeting and waste 2 minutes or so of your life on Killer Squirrel. ;)

The rough cut of Killer Squirrel is done. We will shoot the final greenscreen shot this Saturday- then it's off to the races on sound and score. Arya Kumar is handling that for me- he's just great- btw. Run time prior to credits and tightening is 2:21. I can't believe I was that close on my estimate of final cut (2:30) scary!

THANK YOU JOHNNY WU- you are an editing God. :)

An aside- what effect would posting the final version here have on my festival submissions? I was under the impression that if you posted on line, there were many fests you could not get into.

Next time your up here spats i can let you see "Twenty First Century" put it on your list ..
killer squirrel ..the title is fun ...looks like some great peeps involved ..
Capt

Hey Captain, :)

Thanks so much for including my short at Wreck Beach. I hope that it was at least marginally entertaining to a few people.

Killer Squirrel is, although very different, far better at entertaining people, in my opinion. Johnny was laughing while we were editing, so I am encouraged.

I will DEFINITELY send it your way for the 2006 fest- which I have already penciled into my calendar to attend. :)

Ahoys lilith ..
I hope you can make it ..I have some nice stuff im planning for our guests this coming fest...
Look forward to your new submission ..as i mentioned i like the title...im afeerd to wonder just what a movie like that might be about!!I have heard of mad cow disease..but worse is mad squirrel disease ..arghh!!
Captain.._/).... :yes:

IT IS DONE! (Okay, I'll probably tweak the sound a bit yet...)

This is SOOO much better than I thought it would be... Proof positive that SOUND EDITING matters at least as much as picture. We spent several hours today laying in cartooney sound effects. Those, added to Arya Kumar's amazing "Elfmanesque" score took the film from an mildly entertaining little ditty to full-on belly laughs.

As soon as I can scrape the dough together, I will upgrade my membership and post this thing on line for you... unless it will keep me out of too many fests. ;)

We premiere this weekend in Cleveland (Sunday at Hyacinth Lofts- E. 63rd St., Cleveland at 1:00 pm)

Thanks to everyone for your support. :)

btw- "Twenty First Century" WON BEST PICTURE at the Sanseveria Film Festival! Yahoo :)

Sounds like it's going to be great. :cool:

upgrade my membership and post this thing on line for you

While everyone knows that Premiere members are intrinsically more handsome, charming, dashing, witty and have whiter teeth than the rest (at a slight reduction in modesty)... anyone can post in the Screening Room, as is. :)

What's this about Twenty First Century, btw?

AH, thanks for the head's up Steve. I thought I had to upgrade. Cool.

As to "Twenty First Century"- I entered it in a number of fests. Some larger than others. Sanseveria is a small, first year festival here in Ohio. This is the first award for the film, and I am very happy about it.

We had a distribution nibble a few months ago too, and that was great. That didn't pan out, but it feels SO good to be wanted. :) (Yes, it was really legit- a film festival passed my film on to them for their interest.)

What's the original film challenge? I have been gone for a couple of weeks.

Back