pre-pro Shooting ANALOG

I have wanted to make a fun summer movie for years shot on old tapes (to give it that nostalgic feel that my protagonist holds onto). Will shooting SD keep me from putting the film in festivals? Not that I care for this one since it's a labor of love. Just weighing my options. Thanks!

Solution
Well, I don't think festivals are going to try and control your aspect ratio, color or film look. Art is subjective, and they get that to some degree, enough to accept a non standard look.

Something that I would advice is considering your options when it comes to producing that analog look. What a lot of people, including studios do to split the difference these days is to just film on a strong modern digital camera, and then create the analog look in post.

The reason is that people have really become attuned to HD and 4k at this point, and you can still get the feel across with the post effects, without having to sacrifice so much quality.

Do you need it to be super low fi for the concept to work? Like this?

Well, I don't think festivals are going to try and control your aspect ratio, color or film look. Art is subjective, and they get that to some degree, enough to accept a non standard look.

Something that I would advice is considering your options when it comes to producing that analog look. What a lot of people, including studios do to split the difference these days is to just film on a strong modern digital camera, and then create the analog look in post.

The reason is that people have really become attuned to HD and 4k at this point, and you can still get the feel across with the post effects, without having to sacrifice so much quality.

Last edited:
Solution
I have wanted to make a fun summer movie for years shot on old tapes (to give it that nostalgic feel that my protagonist holds onto). Will shooting SD keep me from putting the film in festivals? Not that I care for this one since it's a labor of love. Just weighing my options. Thanks!
You can go to the websites of the festivals you want to submit to and they will list their requirements.
If they aren't there, you can email them and ask. That's the only way to be certain of what one person will or will not allow in their festival.

Thanks much! I think a lot of it, for me, is that even though I can obtain a similar look and feel in post, there is something about shooting on analog that inspires me as well (at least for this project). Thank you for your input on this.

If you convert your analog to HD, it will still look like analog. The color and lines of resolution will simply be digitized. Personally, I think people get too hung up on the HD/4K resolution. A good film is still a good film no matter how it was shot. I just finished working with a guy who asked me to upres his analog footage to 4K. I used an A.I. program for the process. The results were good. No, you can't created detail where there is none, but compared sided by side with the source material, the footage was unchanged. The 4K looked just like the analog, maybe even a little sharper. One thing though, I would not mix your analog footage with footage shot in HD or 4K. I think the difference would be very noticeable unless you went to the trouble of 'degrading' the footage to match the analog.

Back