Shoot ghost

I have a script that i plan on shooting this fall. The script is a ghost story and has many scenes where the ghost is haunting her husband who was responsible for her death. It starts off as flashback type memories (warm and fun) to forward activities that were planned before her accidental death. I would like the future type scenes to be very scary (dark and gloomy).

How would you shoot this? Would you use makeup or do this in post?

Thanks!

flashback type memories (warm and fun) (...) future type scenes to be very scary (dark and gloomy).

Well, this type of thing doesn't sound like it'll be done with makeup or in post. ;)

But back to your ghost...

How do you envision your ghost, and how it interacts with the world? What films can you name as references? Do you have any pictures or other images to demonstrate to others exactly what you mean? Does the script actually call for particular interactions that might require trickery or ingenuity to accomplish?

If you can give concrete examples of what it is that needs to be done, there's sure to be someone who knows exactly what process you need to utilise.

How well can you visualise your script?

Well, this type of thing doesn't sound like it'll be done with makeup or in post. ;)

But back to your ghost...

How do you envision your ghost, and how it interacts with the world? What films can you name as references? Do you have any pictures or other images to demonstrate to others exactly what you mean? Does the script actually call for particular interactions that might require trickery or ingenuity to accomplish?

If you can give concrete examples of what it is that needs to be done, there's sure to be someone who knows exactly what process you need to utilise.

How well can you visualise your script?

Steve you're a BOSS!! Just sayin.. I click on almost any thread scroll down and BOOM you're right there helping people out haha. Just wanted to say that.. idk why.. but thanks for helping out everyone including some of my threads :)

Steve you're a BOSS!!

I concur.

Anyway, to answer the OP, for whatever it's worth, I plan on shooting a movie that will also have some ghosts. I'll be doing it with greenscreen. I'll get one shot of the location, without greenscreen. Then, I'll pop in that greenscreen and get the shot of our ghost. Put the ghost image on top of the other image, play with the opacity and boo! There's your ghost. I also plan to play around with some particle dispersion in After Effects. I haven't done any test-footage yet, but I think it'll work out pretty swell.

I also agree with the ZenSteve praise...

My film will have a ghost in it as well, but it will never be seen by the audience, so it's easier for me.... I guess I only posted this to brag about how much easier it'll be for me, haha...

But seriously, if you want him to be transparent, go with Cracker's advice.

If you don't want him transparent, then that's much easier... just have the living actors pretend he isn't there...

Though I don't understand your question completely, your mention of make-up makes me assume you want this ghost to be pale... If that is the case, yes I would use make-up but I would also enhance it a little in post (Just a tweak, though.)

I also agree with the ZenSteve praise...

My film will have a ghost in it as well, but it will never be seen by the audience, so it's easier for me.... I guess I only posted this to brag about how much easier it'll be for me, haha...

If you can do it right, It can work very well, look at the original version of The Haunting. You never see the ghosts and it worked perfect.

As far as the original question, how about filming seperatly, then throwing it together in after effects like you would if cloning. You could have the person walk through thwe ghost or whatever

Back