• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shoot 60fps on a 25fps project?

Hi,

If I shoot something on 720p 60FPS (This is NTSC) and edit it on a 25FPS timeline (This is PAL), instead of a 30FPS timeline, wouldn't I gain a few more frames for slow motion use? (Shot on Canon 5D Mark III)

Since PAL slomo is 50FPS, that would give me 50% slomo on a 25FPS timeline.
And NTSC slomo is 60FPS, that would give me 50% slomo on a 30FPS timeline.

So a NTSC slomo in 60FPS, that would give me 47.6% slomo on a 25FPS timeline.

From the tests I've done, this seems to work, however, I wonder if there are any repercussions I might be overlooking.

Thanks.

There are no repercussions.
Why should there be?: you put every frame of the videofile on a frame in a 25fps timeline. So there should be no strange frameblending or whatever.
As long as the computer doesn't think it has to be 60fps there's no problem at all.
(Interpret footage as 25fps in case the 60fps in embedded in the file properties.)

That's how you do slow mo. Shoot at a higher frames per sec and then interpret the footage into your output video settings. The higher number of frames you shoot at, the more slow mo you can get. Check out the Phantom cameras just for fun for slow mo.

Remember to adjust your shutter speed on your DSLR if you're shooting at different frame rates.

The answer to your question is yes, the higher your shooting frame rate, and the lower your editing frame rate, the more you'll be able to slow the footage down. No problems here.

I'm only confused as to why you would want a 25FPS NTSC project? Is there even such thing? I'm assuming this is a typo or something? 25FPS is really just for PAL, which is what I believe you should be using in Israel.

Thanks everyone, there's no typo, I'll try to explain myself better:

Here's the trick - If I want to shoot slow motion on PAL settings, I would get 50FPS. If I want to shoot slow motion on NTSC, I would get 60FPS.

Now, my project should eventually be in PAL.

However, instead of shooting the standard PAL slow motion, I would like to shoot the standard NTSC slow motion - now I use this 60FPS on a 25FPS PAL project and I should get an extra 10 frames. Even though I'm technically shooting on NTSC but working with it on PAL.

Does that make sense?

NTSC is a broadcast format. Ditto for PAL. Canon shoots on neither. So, you kinda just got the vocabulary wrong.

Regardless, yes, your plan makes perfect sense. Shoot at 60fps, slow down to 25, render to PAL. All good, no problems there. :)

i know this convo has been dead for a month, but I'm working on a slow mo video right now and I just wanted to pass on a link to a video that has some good tips if your trying to get a high speed slow mo effect, even if your camera only goes up to 60fps. I've tried several of these techniques and got some pretty good results. Anywho, check it out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rbQbhf15js

i know this convo has been dead for a month, but I'm working on a slow mo video right now and I just wanted to pass on a link to a video that has some good tips if your trying to get a high speed slow mo effect, even if your camera only goes up to 60fps. I've tried several of these techniques and got some pretty good results. Anywho, check it out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rbQbhf15js

Yes, twixtor is cool as shit. But it doesn't really apply to this conversation.

Back