• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sharing Drives betweem Windows/Mac (FCP/VSaony Vegas).

Hi everyone.

I use both Mac and Windows programs to edit. I am in the process of putting together a mirrored RAID array for storing media files. The question is should I use a Mac or Windows File system.

If I format for Windows/NTFS I will need to get one of the paid for (not shore which one) versions of NTFS-3G.

If I format for Mac/HFS+ I will need to get MacDrive.

Do people have experience of this, what do they recommend. Are there issues with editing on windows using HFS+ or on Mac Editing on paid for NTFS-3G (I know the free version is rubbish). Would rather focus on peoples experience than have a discussion about which file system is technically better -:).

Regards,
Ben

I edit on Windows.

If I get given a Mac drive, I use HFS Explorer (free) to transfer files to my Windows-based drives, and then convert the footage on my drives.

Side note: I've only ever extracted footage using HFS Explorer. I'm not sure if it can transfer files back. I've never had to, but I don't recall seeing arrow-buttons pointing that way. Very simple GUI.

Why do you need to edit using two NLE's, btw?

I edit on Windows.

If I get given a Mac drive, I use HFS Explorer (free) to transfer files to my Windows-based drives, and then convert the footage on my drives.

Side note: I've only ever extracted footage using HFS Explorer. I'm not sure if it can transfer files back. I've never had to, but I don't recall seeing arrow-buttons pointing that way. Very simple GUI.

Why do you need to edit using two NLE's, btw?

I am talking about having a storage system I can use to edit from both., Transfusing is not an issue.

Both options are viable, but which platform will you spend the most time in/ which platform will be doing the heaviest data transfer to the drive -- setup for that platform and let the other read into it.

Back